Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
My wife somehow managed to drop her iPhone SE in the toilet and she didn't turn it off immediately and instead watched the screen go funny and then the phone went off. We've tried to dry it out and left it in rice for 48 hours but it still seemed unresponsive, not doing anything. However, I've just plugged it into my MBP and every now and again the empty battery symbol appears on the screen for a few seconds and then goes off again. Do you think it's possible to retrieve data from it, especially photos or is it too far gone? My computer or iTunes won't recognise a phone has been attached.

Any help appreciated.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My wife somehow managed to drop her iPhone SE in the toilet and she didn't turn it off immediately and instead watched the screen go funny and then the phone went off. We've tried to dry it out and left it in rice for 48 hours but it still seemed unresponsive, not doing anything. However, I've just plugged it into my MBP and every now and again the empty battery symbol appears on the screen for a few seconds and then goes off again. Do you think it's possible to retrieve data from it, especially photos or is it too far gone? My computer or iTunes won't recognise a phone has been attached.

Any help appreciated.

Was the iPhone backed up at all to iCloud?

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Phone may be fried, but as posted, the pics should be in the cloud if she had her account created. Log into the icloud website and see if they are there.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Was the iPhone backed up at all to iCloud?

Phone may be fried, but as posted, the pics should be in the cloud if she had her account created. Log into the icloud website and see if they are there.

Unfortunately not as we have backups on the computer, but of course sods law that we've been a bit slack and not backed up for a couple of months. Lesson learnt and she's now paying 79p/month for extra iCloud storage.

Will take it to apple to see if they can retrieve anything.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Unfortunately not as we have backups on the computer, but of course sods law that we've been a bit slack and not backed up for a couple of months. Lesson learnt and she's now paying 79p/month for extra iCloud storage.

Will take it to apple to see if they can retrieve anything.

Best thing you can do at this point.

Reactions: snerkler

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
OK so some good news. The phone has shown a few signs of life. The home button doesn't work, and as soon as I plug it in (either mains or computer) the screen goes all funny and fades away and turns off, BUT I've managed to transfer the photos to my phone using airdrop so at least those have been rescued. We've got a replacement phone, but whether this one will make a full recovery I seriously doubt it ;)

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
OK so some good news. The phone has shown a few signs of life. The home button doesn't work, and as soon as I plug it in (either mains or computer) the screen goes all funny and fades away and turns off, BUT I've managed to transfer the photos to my phone using airdrop so at least those have been rescued. We've got a replacement phone, but whether this one will make a full recovery I seriously doubt it ;)

My advice is to turn it all the way off and stuff it in that bag of rice for a week or so. It may live yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.