Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambuxwh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
hey guys, just wondering how serious could be trouble caused by a few droplets of water on my keys? I washed my hands and totally forgot what seller said to me about water. i started typing and saw that on 4 of my keys ( r, v, f, c) were droplets. i worked for 15 minutes more after this “accident” and then turned computer off(surely I pressed those buttons again when I dried them). Can these droplets cause troubles? Should I leave it for more then one night and do not use it? How big is risk in general? By the way, i’m visiting other country right now so I can’t even go to the apple store ( there’s no any stores or authorized shops) , that’s why I want to ask I if i should worry about something.

thanks for help!

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Don't worry, the motherboard is not right beneath the keycaps or anything like that. Even if you get a few drops in around the keys, they will just stick around the keycaps and evaporate quickly.

Reactions: cambuxwh

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
A few droplets will be OK. The next time any water gets on computer shut it down immediately shut it off until completely dry. Don't take any chances.

Richard in Crawley

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Hi is water damage always fatal.?! Dropped my MacBook Air in a sink full of water, didn’t completely submerge, small bit of th screen, bit of the keyboard and I thinknwater got into the key pad.stopped working immediately. Have tried to dry it out but no sign of life. Is it terminal..?

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Hi is water damage always fatal.?! Dropped my MacBook Air in a sink full of water, didn’t completely submerge, small bit of th screen, bit of the keyboard and I thinknwater got into the key pad.stopped working immediately. Have tried to dry it out but no sign of life. Is it terminal..?
If a substantial amount of water gets in a computer it will almost certainly be fatal. Shortages will occur. Electronics (circuit boards) and water simply don't mix very well. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Apple may be able to fix it but, the price of repair would be high. It would make more sense to buy a new one.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Richard in Crawley

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
Apple may be able to fix it but, the price of repair would be high. It would make more sense to buy a new one.
Thanks for the replies. Yes I feared that was the case. Expensive moment of carelessness. Less than 6 months old. Enquired at the the I-store. They want £90 just to look at it. Oh well **** happens.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
My dudes, RELAX. A bit of water is not going to harm your computer. If you submerge the thing then sure, that's bad. But I cannot believe you're worried about a few droplets on the keyboard...if that damaged computers there would be millions of toasted computers immediately. Yeah computers are "delicate", but they are also more rugged than people give them credit for. Sheesh.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
My dudes, RELAX. A bit of water is not going to harm your computer. If you submerge the thing then sure, that's bad. But I cannot believe you're worried about a few droplets on the keyboard...if that damaged computers there would be millions of toasted computers immediately. Yeah computers are "delicate", but they are also more rugged than people give them credit for. Sheesh.
This was not about the droplets. This was an answer to a poster who dropped his computer in a sink full of water.
Droplets = relax.
Dropping the computer in a sink full of water = panic.

tomekwsrod

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2018
A single drop of water that will get past your keyboard can be terminal. On the youtube there should be a movie somewhere that simulates this scenario with mac book pro, I'm not sure about the Air.

You have motherboard directly under your keyboard. The battery is under the trackpad.

A drop on on the motherboard can kill it, but you might get lucky and nothing bad will happen. Also even if you dry the computer do not power it on. It's the minerals that conduct the electricity not the water itself. Take your computer to a service where they will clean it with a distilled water.

Good luck.

Richard in Crawley

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2021
It's tricky, as I say they want £90 just to look at it what worries me is you are then at their mercy. They can say anything. This needs replacing. That needs replacing. If it gets into the hundreds of pounds I might as well get a new one although it will be painful lobbing out another grand. Incidentally why are MacBooks so expensive in the UK?. $999 in the US £999 in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.