Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplynoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
Hi there, so I got some water under my MacBook Pro. screen

I had my water bottle in my bag alongside my MacBook Pro that had a case cover on and it was inside a laptop pouch. Somehow my water bottle opened, spilling water at the bottom of my bag which is how the water got to it. Thankfully, no water got near the keyboard or track pad, so there's no internal or technical issues. The screen itself works fine, all visuals are fine. Only issue is water got inbetween the screen so theres the blotch in the bottom left and a faint line across vertically (as seen in photo below).

I've talked to a few apple certified places for a repair and they have all said I need to replace the screen completely, which would cost $600-1000. The computer is still functions perfectly, all is good technically expect for the physical appearance of the screen. Is there any way I can get rid of the water "blotch" without spending that much? Thanks for reading, please help if you can!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

IMG_3344.jpg

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Is there any way I can get rid of the water "blotch" without spending that much? Thanks for reading, please help if you can

I don't think so unless you wish to have your MacBook Pro screen replaced by other than Apple or an Apple certified repair shop or you can do it yourself. You can look at the procedure to change the screen at www.ifixit.com. Since the screen can not be separated, there's really no way to remove the water. You have to replace the screen if you wish to get rid of the water blotch.

simplynoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
I don't think so unless you wish to have your MacBook Pro screen replaced by other than Apple or an Apple certified repair shop or you can do it yourself. You can look at the procedure to change the screen at www.ifixit.com. Since the screen can not be separated, there's really no way to remove the water. You have to replace the screen if you wish to get rid of the water blotch.

Thank you for the quick response! I've read on many sites online saying I should leave it shut down and let it air dry for a while. I'm going to check on it next week by turning it back on. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it be bad if I continue using it while the blotches are still there?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thank you for the quick response! I've read on many sites online saying I should leave it shut down and let it air dry for a while. I'm going to check on it next week by turning it back on. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would it be bad if I continue using it while the blotches are still there?

I'm just taking a guess here ..... but I would personally shut it down and let it completely dry. If the water dries from the heat of the display structure, it will probably cause a worst stain on the display vs just letting it evaporate.

DavT

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019

I had my water bottle in my bag alongside my MacBook Pro that had a case cover on and it was inside a laptop pouch. Somehow my water bottle opened, spilling water at the bottom of my bag which is how the water got to it. Thankfully, no water got near the keyboard or track pad, so there's no internal or technical issues. The screen itself works fine, all visuals are fine. Only issue is water got inbetween the screen so theres the blotch in the bottom left and a faint line across vertically (as seen in photo below).

I've talked to a few apple certified places for a repair and they have all said I need to replace the screen completely, which would cost $600-1000. The computer is still functions perfectly, all is good technically expect for the physical appearance of the screen. Is there any way I can get rid of the water "blotch" without spending that much? Thanks for reading, please help if you can!

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are in. Do you know if liquid damage is covered by Applecare (i suspect it varies with region)? And may i ask if the price for repair you obtained was applicable under Applecare or without one?

My MBP is only a few months old. Technically i can still purchase Applecare. Just wanted to know if it makes a difference to the overall cost.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are in. Do you know if liquid damage is covered by Applecare (i suspect it varies with region)? And may i ask if the price for repair you obtained was applicable under Applecare or without one?

My MBP is only a few months old. Technically i can still purchase Applecare. Just wanted to know if it makes a difference to the overall cost.

In the US, Applecare+ coverd accidental damage. The traditional Applecare does not. But Applecare+ has limited enrollment period of 60 days after purchase.

DavT

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
In the US, Applecare+ coverd accidental damage. The traditional Applecare does not. But Applecare+ has limited enrollment period of 60 days after purchase.

Thanks for the clarification. Applecare+ is out of my reach regardless because i think my region doesn't even offer it. Would there be any difference in price for a screen repair between a standard Applecare (which doesnt cover liquid damage) compared to one that is on limited one year warranty only?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the clarification. Applecare+ is out of my reach regardless because i think my region doesn't even offer it. Would there be any difference in price for a screen repair between a standard Applecare (which doesnt cover liquid damage) compared to one that is on limited one year warranty only?

You should check with Apple on that. My guess since water damage is not covered it is the same either way.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Ummm... one DOES NOT pack a water bottle ANYWHERE near where a computer is packed -- in a backpack, or ANYPLACE else.

Go forth from this day, and learn -- sadder, but wiser.

Reactions: HenryDJP

e2meleng

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Midrand

View attachment 813955

Hi, how did this end up? Did it eventually dry out?

DavT

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
Hi, how did this end up? Did it eventually dry out?

For me, it did. I had a blotch measuring around 5cm x 5cm and it gradually dried up over a week's time. It was just a case of water being trapped inside and thankfully there wasn't any damage to the screen itself. I hope this comes as a consolation if you are facing this same problem now.

Reactions: jerryk and e2meleng

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I had an iPod nano with water stuck under the screen. Huge blotch. I let it sit out for a while and it went away, left no signs of the water.

Reactions: e2meleng

e2meleng

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
Midrand
For me, it did. I had a blotch measuring around 5cm x 5cm and it gradually dried up over a week's time. It was just a case of water being trapped inside and thankfully there wasn't any damage to the screen itself. I hope this comes as a consolation if you are facing this same problem now.

Thank you so much for the consolation :)

Ciccio Ceras

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Thank you for your response

Hi e2meleng, do you have updates? Do you still have the blotch?

I had a similar issue, due by a walk in a big rain. Even if the macbook was inside the cover inside the bag, the blotch is very huge, following the whole screen :(

hifffz

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Hi e2meleng, do you have updates? Do you still have the blotch?

I had a similar issue, due by a walk in a big rain. Even if the macbook was inside the cover inside the bag, the blotch is very huge, following the whole screen :(
unfortunately, i just experienced this incident yesterday ?? i shut down my mac and letting it air dry for at least 3 days.
do u have any updates on your mac? is it running fine? are their still blotches on your mac screen? thanks a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.