Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theposse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
TENERIFE
I was under the impression that ipod played WAV files but when i downloaded one to my new ipod it won't play.
Do i need to change it to MP3 format and if so does anyone know of such a program that does it.
I thought that when i downloaded the music from my friends HD that itunes automatically imported it in MP3 format.Thats the setting i have it on!
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Scott

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Import from CD (ripping) is by default done with the aac encoder (can be changed to mp3, apple lossless, etc, but not wav).

When adding files from other than CDs, the song will not be encoded, just added to the Library. There is an option Advanced->Convert selection to aac (or whatever default import format you've set), but you can only convert from wav to aac/mp3 on a Windows (2000/)XP PC with iTunes installed...

The wav codec is built-in to Windows and Apple hasn't bothered to pay a license to add that feature on Macs (I guess they figured uot that only PC users will have wav's :p)

As to what an iPod will play, according to Apple's iPod page, a good place to start, they will "play MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless".

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
...The wav codec is built-in to Windows and Apple hasn't bothered to pay a license to add that feature on Macs (I guess they figured uot that only PC users will have wav's :p)

As to what an iPod will play, according to Apple's iPod page, a good place to start, they will "play MP3, AAC and Apple Lossless".

It would probably be good if you read your own link thoroughly as the iPod does support the WAV format. From the tech specs gotten to from your link:

Audio support
MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV

Edit: Also, having just checked iTunes preferences under importing, WAV is there - did you just pull some stuff out of thin air when you replied??

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
applebum said:
It would probably be good if you read your own link thoroughly as the iPod does support the WAV format. From the tech specs gotten to from your link:

Audio support
MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store, M4A, M4B, M4P), Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4) and WAV

Edit: Also, having just checked iTunes preferences under importing, WAV is there - did you just pull some stuff out of thin air when you replied??

Strange, I was under the impression that wav's could not be played on an ipod. Did they change this in a recent firmare update?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
applebum said:

Audio support

I see that, but don't have any wav's to try on my iPod mini. I thought that iTunes supported a wide range of formats, but that the iPods played a limited subset of these, i.e. mp3, aac and apple lossless, as the "iPod Features" says, and that you could reencode your wav, aiff, etc to be playable on the iPods...

If someone gets more formats working, good for them, but untill I hear otherwise from someone trusted, I have to assume the "iPod Features" to be accurate... ;)

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
If someone gets more formats working, good for them, but untill I hear otherwise from someone trusted, I have to assume the "iPod Features" to be accurate... ;)

Ok, took a little looking, but hopefully Apple is a trusted enough source for you. From their own Support page located here:

Compatible CODECS

iPod can play songs encoded with these CODECS:
MP3 (from 32 Kbps to 320 Kbps)
MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
AIFF *
WAV (with no compression)
The following require iPod software 1.3 or later:
M4A AAC *
M4P AAC (Protected) *
M4B AAC (iTunes Music Store Spoken Word files) *
The following require iPod software 2.2 or later or iPod mini 1.1 or later:
Apple Lossless Encoder
* Requires iTunes 4 or iTunes 4 for Windows. AAC files also require the most recent update to the iPod software.

So it doesn't just say it supports it, but that it can play it.

Now that we have established that and been absolutely no help to the OP, perhaps a little more info would help. Tell us exactly what you are doing to try to get those WAV's on your iPod.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
applebum said:
Ok, took a little looking, but hopefully Apple is a trusted enough source for you. From their own Support page located here:

Compatible CODECS

iPod can play songs encoded with these CODECS:
MP3 (from 32 Kbps to 320 Kbps)
MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
AIFF *
WAV (with no compression)
The following require iPod software 1.3 or later:
M4A AAC *
M4P AAC (Protected) *
M4B AAC (iTunes Music Store Spoken Word files) *
The following require iPod software 2.2 or later or iPod mini 1.1 or later:
Apple Lossless Encoder
* Requires iTunes 4 or iTunes 4 for Windows. AAC files also require the most recent update to the iPod software.

So it doesn't just say it supports it, but that it can play it.

Now that we have established that and been absolutely no help to the OP, perhaps a little more info would help. Tell us exactly what you are doing to try to get those WAV's on your iPod.
So they can play uncompressed wav's... hmmm, then the original problem theposse had with that downloaded wav (which is what we're trying to solve isn't it?), might still be that it's an unsupported format, right...? As most wav's 'obtained' from the net is compressed with one codec or another... or am I still wrong...?

Edit: Still find it funny that Apple only mentions the three under iPod features, though...

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
So they can play uncompressed wav's... hmmm, then the original problem theposse had with that downloaded wav (which is what we're trying to solve isn't it?), might still be that it's an unsupported format, right...? As most wav's 'obtained' from the net is compressed with one codec or another... or am I still wrong...?

That could be possible, I just can't tell what exactly theposse was trying to do, or how he went about it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.