Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sovre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Hi everyone.

There is a problem with the iphone 11 I got and I need to return it to the seller, who does not have any more in stock. So I'm going to need to order a new one after.

That means unfortunately I won't be able to use the bluetooth transfer option.

My question... is there any way to do a full backup of my entire phone and save and then restore it onto the new phone when I receive it?

I do use iTunes for backup, but unless something has changed, I know from last experience, iTunes does not restore some stuff, like music, audiobooks, etc. and I do not use the sync feature.

What is my best option in this situation? Thanks for your help!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you back up to iCloud and then set up a new device from that backup- it’ll be a mirror image of the old phone.

You can still back up a big phone to iCloud even if you don’t have enough iCloud space. Apple allows a grace period to over-extend your iCloud storage for a while for a backup — for this very reason.

Reactions: brucemr

sovre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
If you back up to iCloud and then set up a new device from that backup- it’ll be a mirror image of the old phone.

You can still back up a big phone to iCloud even if you don’t have enough iCloud space. Apple allows a grace period to over-extend your iCloud storage for a while for a backup — for this very reason.
Thanks for your reply! I have not been using icloud and my phone has almsot 256 GB of data to backup. Not sure how much that would end up costing me... But I will check into it; that may be my only options! in the meantime, if you have any ideas for a free solution, let me know!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
You can backup a 256 GB iPhone to the free 5 GB iCloud plan – just the backup won’t last forever. It’ll eventually disappear.

Reactions: sovre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.