Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Hi,

I've got my icloud synced between my Mac and iPhone, which is great for backing up files etc ... but ... I actually don't really want all my mac file folders to be available on my iPhone. This leads me to two questions:

1 - Is there a way to lock my 'files' folder on iPhone?
2 - Or is there a way to only have my iPhone sync certain items such as my notes and photos ... but not my mac files?

Thanks if anyone can assist and cheers!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You can turn off iCloud Drive on your phone to stop syncing files to it, and continue to sync notes and photos.
Go to Settings and tap your account at the top then select iCloud to toggle on/off whatever you want.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
iCloud is not a real backup so might want to look into Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, others for true backups.

In addition to what @Darth.Titan mentioned, can also turn off "Documents and Desktop" sync for iCloud on Mac and make a folder under iCloud that hold only documents/files you want on Mac and iOS devices. This is what I do. Can also create symbolic links under Documents structure on Mac to point to iCloud folder file(s) so looks like you're working on the file within the file structure one creates (I do this with files I keep in Dropbox).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.