Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Mainly use CarPlay on Waze/Spotify primarily....

Am I going crazy, and I cannot remember when it started (goes as far back with iPhone 12'is) I think.
When using Waze via CarPlay, about 15-20% of the time, the map on CarPlay just get's frozen @ the home location before I hop into the car. Even after driving for some distance, the map doesn't change. Update. The hack-workaround I've found is opening up Waze on the phone, quitting it. Sometimes I may need to reopen Waze and do a double quit. Usually when quit and see Waze quit off CarPlay, on the next round of opening up Waze, the map updates it's location.

It only happens with Waze. If I good Apple or G/maps, the map location is current, so it's not a GPS thing.

What gives. Anyone else observe similar wonkiness. I figured it was a software bug and it would work itself out....
At least 20+ months later, still the same issue

Reactions: kingston73

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've been noticing this too. I only started using Waze again recently. This definitely wasn't happening back when I used to use Waze exclusively, but that's been a couple years at least now. Super frustrating.

For me, the Waze app on my phone will actually say "no GPS" in tiny red text at the top. Relaunching the app always fixes it like you said.

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
This happens to me also. Seems that waze goes into guest mode.

I force close the app and reopen too. It’s kind of a pain but love waze

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I think it has more problems trying to start from Carplay. If you need Waze you can start it on the phone first to ensure it's working before connecting Carplay. It always has some weird issues I find with solely starting it through Carplay. I have rebooted Waze a bunch of times, probably shouldn't do that in motion but I try to do it safely as possible.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Any ideas what caused this? Waze update or ios?

I’m pretty sure it’s Waze. CarPlay on iOS 15.x is a mess, but since I’ve only seen/experienced this particular issue with Waze, it has to be them. Waze has some other issues with regressing fixes in their beta releases and on occasion those issues find their way into the released version.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Yep, just another +1 that this happens to me fairly regularly (maybe once or twice a week). Ditto that solution is to open Waze on phone, force close it, and then it works again. Annoying as my most regular usage for Waze is to go Home vs Work, which are saved locations and easy to just get to in Carplay screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.