Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbvinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
LA
Last week I was using Waze (and listening to a podcast) on my iPhone X and the entire phone ended up freezing and overheating. I wasn't able to turn the phone off, or open any apps that weren't already opened. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their iPhone X running iOS 11.2.2?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last week I was using Waze (and listening to a podcast) on my iPhone X and the entire phone ended up freezing and overheating. I wasn't able to turn the phone off, or open any apps that weren't already opened. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their iPhone X running iOS 11.2.2?
Did you try resetting the phone? https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201412

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I did attempt to reset the phone. For whatever reason, the phone would not allow me to do so. The phone did recognize that I was attempting to do so, so I ended up just letting the battery drain and then plugged it in.
That's odd, that hard reset is there specifically for reasons when the device isn't responding. If it didn't respond to that (assuming it was done correctly) then something definitely seems off.

Reactions: Dwbernd

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I've had Waze causing issues for me on my X recently. I think it's more Waze's fault though and Google need to focus on the app performance rather than adding daft gimmicky features like "record your own voice for directions" and other such crap!

But I've never had the device lock up like that. As C DM says, if that hard reset didn't work then something else is also amiss.

dalmoradie

macrumors regular
May 6, 2015
I've had Waze causing issues for me on my X recently. I think it's more Waze's fault though and Google need to focus on the app performance rather than adding daft gimmicky features like "record your own voice for directions" and other such crap!

But I've never had the device lock up like that. As C DM says, if that hard reset didn't work then something else is also amiss.

Since updating my ios to 11.4, waze seems to freeze my iphonex after i've reached my destination. the phone will eventually come back to life, but it takes a few minutes. Even doing the hard reset doesn't work immediately.

Preachermedic

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
Since updating my ios to 11.4, waze seems to freeze my iphonex after i've reached my destination. the phone will eventually come back to life, but it takes a few minutes. Even doing the hard reset doesn't work immediately.
I am having the same issue.

allanweinman.ca

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
I also see this. Anyone remove waze and see if that clears it up? Going to do that now.
[doublepost=1529342354][/doublepost]
Yep, same issue here as well. I am going to try and remove Waze and reinstall it to see if that will work.
Did removing waze work?

whiplash13

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I also see this. Anyone remove waze and see if that clears it up? Going to do that now.
[doublepost=1529342354][/doublepost]
Did removing waze work?

Yes, it fixed it. I resinstalled Waze and had the same issue. What fixed it was not allowing it to use the Health and Fitness app which is in the main General settings area for Waze, not in the settings in Waze app itself.

allanweinman.ca

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Yes, it fixed it. I resinstalled Waze and had the same issue. What fixed it was not allowing it to use the Health and Fitness app which is in the main General settings area for Waze, not in the settings in Waze app itself.

Thanks for you reply about it. But I am not sure what you mean by "What fixed it was not allowing it to use the Health and Fitness app which is in the main General settings area for Waze, not in the settings in Waze app itself"
- I could not find a setting in Waze that refers to Health & Fitness. I looking in General settings for Waze and pretty much every menu but did not find any mention of Health nor Fitness.

whiplash13

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for you reply about it. But I am not sure what you mean by "What fixed it was not allowing it to use the Health and Fitness app which is in the main General settings area for Waze, not in the settings in Waze app itself"
- I could not find a setting in Waze that refers to Health & Fitness. I looking in General settings for Waze and pretty much every menu but did not find any mention of Health nor Fitness.

Removing Waze fixed the lockups but once I put Waze back it had the same issue. I can now keep Waze installed and it runs fine as long as I disable it's ability to use the Health and Fitness data in the iPhone settings, it's called Motion and Fitness. Under iPhone Settings > scroll all the way to the bottom for the Waze App > click it and you will see Motion and Fitness > toggle it off. Waze uses this for remembering where you parked your car once you arrive at your destination.

allanweinman.ca

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Removing Waze fixed the lockups but once I put Waze back it had the same issue. I can now keep Waze installed and it runs fine as long as I disable it's ability to use the Health and Fitness data in the iPhone settings, it's called Motion and Fitness. Under iPhone Settings > scroll all the way to the bottom for the Waze App > click it and you will see Motion and Fitness > toggle it off. Waze uses this for remembering where you parked your car once you arrive at your destination.

Thanks so much for taking the time to detail that. I realize now why i did not see that toggle. I had uninstalled Waze and then just installed it back and while I opened it I had not used it to travel yet. Once I set a destination it asked if I would allow it to access Motion and Fitness and once I said yes, it then showed the toggle.

I notice in Health and Fitness in iPhone Settings -> Privacy - Motion & Fitness - I have 4 toggles - 1 to turn Fitness Tracking totally off - then Health, Google Maps and Waze - for now I just turned all fitness tracking off and will keep it like that for a few days to see if the freezing stays away.

Thanks for your help!

whiplash13

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks so much for taking the time to detail that. I realize now why i did not see that toggle. I had uninstalled Waze and then just installed it back and while I opened it I had not used it to travel yet. Once I set a destination it asked if I would allow it to access Motion and Fitness and once I said yes, it then showed the toggle.

I notice in Health and Fitness in iPhone Settings -> Privacy - Motion & Fitness - I have 4 toggles - 1 to turn Fitness Tracking totally off - then Health, Google Maps and Waze - for now I just turned all fitness tracking off and will keep it like that for a few days to see if the freezing stays away.

Thanks for your help!

As long as you have Waze disabled in iPhone Settings -> Privacy - Motion & Fitness, then you should be fine. That is the only one I have disabled.

Dwbernd

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018

Thanks, I think that fixed the issue, mine was “motion and fitness” toggle off

Miekanos

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2018
These toggles are off allready ☹️. So I guess this isn’t the workaround for me.
Maybe I have to switch off all Motiin and fitness tracking..

Mendeldocaroo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2018
Kentucky
These toggles are off allready ☹️. So I guess this isn’t the workaround for me.
Maybe I have to switch off all Motiin and fitness tracking..
[doublepost=1529868590][/doublepost]Ok, here’s what happened to me. I was using Waze on my iPhone X, and I have the 11.4 version.
I stopped at my destination and forgot to swipe app off. Came back to car, phone TOTALLY frozen/locked up. It was opening apps at random. No screen worked. Face recognition totally gone. Would not let me type in password. Typed in numbers with out touching screen etc. tried hard reboot, and ITunes restore, nothing worked, contacted Apple support. Set up time in town 45 minutes away. Took 2.5 hours to fix phone. They said it was the screen, that some of us unlucky soles got a defective screen. In my case, phone was 6 months old, so I didn’t have to pay $279.00. Here’s my fear, if I use waze again, (which I loved) is it over a period of time going to happen again?
[doublepost=1529868796][/doublepost]Sorry, forgot to add Apple Support took Waze app off, or at the very least, it disappeared.

Last edited:

MartyinLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
My Motion & Fitness was never turned on and I still get the dreaded freeze. This option has nothing to do with the freeze issue on my X.

allanweinman.ca

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
I have an iPhone X and also get the freeze on parking - long freeze that takes about 3-5 minutes to recover. No buttons work and once it comes back it plays back all my key presses which sometimes dials the SOS.
Even when it comes back - it only lets me press a few key strokes or window changes and then freezes again.
I usually then reboot when I get the chance and the issue is totally gone.

I totally disabled Waze's access to motion and fitness, still got the freeze on parking.
I then totally disabled motion and fitness, still got the freeze on parking.
Told it not to track parking - still got the freeze.

Anyway - I contacted Waze support in July, explained the issues as described above and received this reply . . . .

Thank you for contacting Waze Support.
Please be advised that the issue you have experienced should be resolved in the next iOS update.
If the issue is not resolved after the next iOS update, please verify you are running a version which is above iOS 11.4 and write back to us explaining what is the exact issue and also which version of iOS you are running.
We appreciate your cooperation and patience!

So . . . if anyone has upgraded to iOS12 and is still experiencing the issue . . I recommend you contact Waze support. Please also let us know here. I am waiting for the iOS 12 to settle down before I upgrade. Just want to make sure it is not worse than 11.4

Google Maps does not freeze my iPhone X but I have told Google Maps not to track my parking.
And I have turned Motion and Fitness back on. And still no issue with Google Maps.

Reactions: MartyinLA

xr7

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
Chicago
The only app I had running on my iPhone 7 was waze & it locked up. None of the buttons on the phone worked so it couldn't be reset. I needed my phone so I bought a new iPhone X. The fist time I used Waze my phone locked up, luckily a hard reset got the phone running again. As for my iPhone 7 3 days later when the battery went dead I was able to do a hard reset on it. I'm removing waze from my phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only app I had running on my iPhone 7 was waze & it locked up. None of the buttons on the phone worked so it couldn't be reset. I needed my phone so I bought a new iPhone X. The fist time I used Waze my phone locked up, luckily a hard reset got the phone running again. As for my iPhone 7 3 days later when the battery went dead I was able to do a hard reset on it. I'm removing waze from my phone.
A hard reset is supposed to work when everything is frozen as that's basically its usefulness and why it only uses buttons that are available even if the lock screen and the whole OS locks up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.