Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
*** Resolved, see post #11 ***

I've finally started to use Waze for navigation and I'm trying to work out how to navigate to a contact. I've googled and pretty much everything I've found says that I need to make sure my phone number is configured within Waze.

I don't have an option to add a phone number.

Other suggestions are to share a route and then it will ask for access to my contacts.

It doesn't.

I've also found something that says I need to go into the Waze settings (via the settings app) and allow it to access my contacts from there. There's no option to do that.

All the instructions I've found are quite old. Is it actually possible to navigate to a contact using Waze?

Thanks.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've finally started to use Waze for navigation and I'm trying to work out how to navigate to a contact. I've googled and pretty much everything I've found says that I need to make sure my phone number is configured within Waze.

Other suggestions are to share a route and then it will ask for access to my contacts.

It doesn't.

I've also found something that says I need to go into the Waze settings (via the settings app) and allow it to access my contacts from there. There's no option to do that.

Also looking at privacy and contacts, Waze isn't listed.

All the instructions I've found are quite old. Is it actually possible to navigate to a contact using Waze?

Thanks.

I only use Waze in CarPlay... but I can tell Siri to "navigate to Billy Bob's home using Waze" and it works perfectly...

mozbius

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011

It doesn't.

Also looking at privacy and contacts, Waze isn't listed.

Thanks.
In Waze go to the “Where to search”, then scroll all the way down. You should see “Drive to friends and family”

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
In Waze go to the “Where to search”, then scroll all the way down. You should see “Drive to friends and family”
I do not, all I have there is Saved places and History.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I didn’t realize that option was there. I saved my frequent contacts addresses on Waze to navigate there, but this is better since I can just search for all of my contacts now.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Just use Siri... 'hey, Siri, navigate to xxx using Waze"... works perfectly, every time... don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.
So you already said. I don't want to do that.

It's definitely not there for me.

Sl6rz1Jl.png

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
If you're on the latest version of Waze, don't click in to the search bar, just scroll to the bottom of the 'where to? popup'
I am in the latest version of Waze, when I do that, all I see is previous destinations, there's nothing there for Drive to Friends and Family.

What's also really strange, if I look in Settings / Privacy & Security / Contacts, Waze isn't listed as an app that has requested access to my Contacts. Surely if it hasn't asked for access to my contacts, it's never going to be able to access them in order to navigate to them. It's not possible to manually add an app to that list.

/edit
BINGO - I've sorted it

I went into
My Waze
Plan a drive

Then I picked a random location from the previous destinations and Waze asked me for permission to access my calendar and crucially, my contacts.

Once I'd given it permission, I still don't have the option to drive to friends and family but I can start typing a name in the Where to? box and it pulls entries out of my contacts.

Phew, that was quite a journey to resolve this (pun intended) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KibJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.