Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
It’s a love hate relationship 😂

I prefer Apple Maps for its safety by keeping my personal info personal, which is needed especially these days

I like Waze because it warns me of dangerous and expensive road pirates, BUT being a google product it tries to track lots of personal data

If I close out waze after use (swipe up) and don’t make a account, is it still allowed to run in the background?

Would I need to turn background refresh off?

Thanks

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maps has the ability to report issues (speed traps, accidents, etc) too. I was on my way to a concert the other day and Siri announced something like “Reported speed trap ahead” through CarPlay. Sure enough, 5-0 was parked under a bridge. I “confirmed” the report through CarPlay, too.

I’ve never used Waze so maybe it does something Maps doesn’t, not sure. But Maps works fine for me, without the privacy issues.

Reactions: gusmula

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Maps has the ability to report issues (speed traps, accidents, etc) too. I was on my way to a concert the other day and Siri announced something like “Reported speed trap ahead” through CarPlay. Sure enough, 5-0 was parked under a bridge. I “confirmed” the report through CarPlay, too.

I’ve never used Waze so maybe it does something Maps doesn’t, not sure. But Maps works fine for me, without the privacy issues.

Waze has been doing this for eons. I very much prefer Waze for this feature alone. Waze is more likely to have these alerts just because it's so popular and as a result, more people submitting and confirming these reports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.