Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
According to the Waze reddit group, it did go missing after the last app update but then returned.

HOWEVER... it's returned with a "feature" in that it will now show your current speed, along with the speed limit of the road. You cannot - it seems - remove your current speed if you want to see the limit. You can remove the limit option and leave current speed but not vice versa.

A decision I cannot fathom because a) you can see your speed right in front of you on the instrument cluster. Why you'd look elsewhere for it is beyond me and b) they've reduced the size of the limit icon so it's harder to see.

Waze really, really needs to revert this change or at least change it's settings

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
According to the Waze reddit group, it did go missing after the last app update but then returned.

HOWEVER... it's returned with a "feature" in that it will now show your current speed, along with the speed limit of the road. You cannot - it seems - remove your current speed if you want to see the limit. You can remove the limit option and leave current speed but not vice versa.

A decision I cannot fathom because a) you can see your speed right in front of you on the instrument cluster. Why you'd look elsewhere for it is beyond me and b) they've reduced the size of the limit icon so it's harder to see.

Waze really, really needs to revert this change or at least change it's settings

Ok, as you said, the speed limit display is back… with a new annoying “feature”. They have added the actual vehicle speed to the icon… but I have a couple of issues with that:
  1. The speed limit info is way too small to safely see at a quick glance - after all, we should be looking at the road and not having our eyes fixed on the CarPlay display, right?
  2. Again, as you pointed out, the vehicle speed is already displayed on the instrument cluster right in front of the driver, so having the actual speed in the CarPlay display is redundant information, and makes being able to see the actual speed limit significantly more difficult.
  3. At times, the speed limit/actual speed icon shows ONLY the speed limit (larger, like before this update), but pulses in RED. What is that all about?
My choice would be to offer the option via settings of displaying only the speed limit with the larger icon as previously done, the actual speed, and the current combined information.

How hard is it to just give us a choice?

Last edited:
Reactions: bumbo

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Exactly that. Waze are not exactly brilliant at feedback though. The handful of times I've sent off bug reports or questions I've never once had a reply. Not sure if this is the Google effect or they just don't have the resource

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Ok, as you said, the speed limit display is back… with a new annoying “feature”. They have added the actual vehicle speed to the icon… but I have a couple of issues with that:
  1. The speed limit info is way too small to safely see at a quick glance - after all, we should be looking at the road and not having our eyes fixed on the CarPlay display, right?
  2. Again, as you pointed out, the vehicle speed is already displayed on the instrument cluster right in front of the driver, so having the actual speed in the CarPlay display is redundant information, and makes being able to see the actual speed limit significantly more difficult.
  3. At times, the speed limit/actual speed icon shows ONLY the speed limit (larger, like before this update), but pulses in RED. What is that all about?
My choice would be to offer the option via settings of displaying only the speed limit with the larger icon as previously done, the actual speed, and the current combined information.

How hard is it to just give us a choice?
It pulses in red when you are speeding. I haven't used it on Carplay since they brought back the speed, but I know on the phone app, it flashes your speed in red when you are speeding, but it's next to the posted speed limit. I thought the actual speed was always shown in Carplay, but I only have Carplay in one vehicle and may be thinking of the iOS app displaying current speed in my other vehicle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.