Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I was out and about town recently and have noticed issues with Waze on CarPlay... When I launch the Waze app via the CarPlay interface, I get a blank screen where the map is supposed to be. The only way to get the map to show is to quit the app on my phone and re-launch it (via CarPlay).

There was an update about 2 weeks back to v4.58... can't say if the problem has been there for 2 weeks, but I have seen this more than just the last few days... Running iOS 13.3 on my Xs Max and an Alpine ILX-107 head unit connected via Wireless Carplay.

Anyone else seen this? Anybody have any suggestions. (the Apple Maps app in CarPlay seems to be working find, but it's NOT Waze).

Daki

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Yes, I've been having that issue with Waze periodically the past 2 weeks or so. I also end up closing out Waze on the phone and then restarting.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
yeap, same here. Jeep wrangler uconnect 8.4" system, on occasion (more often than not), Waze will open with a giant white screen. Then i have to go to the app, kill it, then come back. Ive searched the internet for this and even the waze forums and came back short with information.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I had something similar with the Maps.Me app. I mainly use Apple Maps or Google Maps on CarPlay but have Maps.me for when i'm out walking the dog as it shows footpaths and things. Its always been fine on my phone but shortly after they added Carplay i tried it on there and it just showed grey where the map should be. Killing the app on the phone made no difference so i forgot about it. Tried it again a few weeks later and it worked so not sure if an app update fixed something or if it was something else.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Just had the other Waze annoyingness again this morning. I mainly use Apple Maps for my commute to and from work but will launch Waze to run in the background and it will alert me to issues, speed cameras etc. Normally once you arrive you have the annoying process of turning Waze off to kill the GPS connection but recently its started showing "<Null> is using GPS" in the blue bar at the top and the only way to kill it is to reboot the phone.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
so it appears Waze is in fact the issue. Seems to be mods wide spread. Funny thing is this issue has been around since at least September and has not been addressed yet.

bhdragon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
Occasionally have the blank screen, but also, at times, have a magnified map. Sometimes it will reset with a reboot...or go from a blank screen to the magnified screen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.