Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
AMD's Ryzen 5000 Desktop CPUs based on the Zen 3 core architecture and the respective X570 motherboard platform has received some rave reviews from the tech community and has been considered to be one of AMD's best CPU lineup to date, offering insane amounts of performance. However, custom DIY PC Builder, PowerGPU, reports that they are seeing very high failure rates with the new AMD CPU & motherboard platform.

I personally have not run into anyone with a Zen 3 CPU or chipset failure but this is an OEM receiving them and claiming that they are DOA. The claim is worse on the higher-core count CPUs. I'd be curious to see if Dell or other really large consumer PC companies are seeing this. This would be one reason I really don't want to buy chips from scalpers as I've heard that some take off after the sale.

THe only failure that I've had with building systems was a Sandy Bridge motherboard that had defective SATA ports and there was a recall for these motherboards. It was a headache mailing back the old and waiting for the new and taking apart and putting the system back together again. I guess that's one advantage of buying a Mac - you don't have to deal with this stuff.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like it may be much ado about nothing. Tech linked reported that further investigations by others show no such failure rates and it appears to be just bad luck in getting a bad batch

Reactions: Cycom and pshufd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.