Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
WD has just announced a 750GB version of their Scorpio Blue 2.5" HDD (9.5-mm). Can't wait for this to get on the shelves and pop one into a Mini. Hopefully 1TB is not far behind!

Link: here
Model: WD7500BPVT
MSRP: $149

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I already have a 1TB hard drive in my system. And yes, it's a 2.5" model.

The whole issue of 12.5 vs 9.5mm isn't really an issue anymore, especially with the new Unibody computers. They can fit both models.

Technically, a 12.5mm will fit in a Mac Mini, but you lose the space for airflow, which, in reality isn't that big of an issue since the 17" Non-Unibody MacBook Pros have barely 0.5mm of clearance with one of these drives and runs fine.

joeman16

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Hey,

I'm new to the forums. I just spent all day trying to find out the specs of the space available in my macbook for a hard drive. I have a 13" black macbook, i bought it almost two years ago, which i believe makes it the last black macbooks before they discontinued them t go for the unibody.

the guy at apple care i talked to said he had no way of confirming the space available, because i want to upgrade my hard drive to a 1 TB model. so i have a few questions:

since the 750gb blue scorpio version from western digital is 9.5mm, i know that will fit nicely. but if i want the 1tb version that is 12.5mm tall, will it fit in my macbook?

also, the other question i had was about quality...the stock 250gb hard drive that came in my macbook is a Fujitsu...on Fujitsu's web site, it says they moved their production of internal hdd's to Toshiba....and toshiba just came out with a 750gb or 1tb version, but they are BOTH 12.5mm high.

i was wondering if western digital is reliable enough? also, is mac still going to purchase their hard drives from toshiba now?

i just want the most compatibility and performance as possible.

thanks so much for the time, i know this was super long!

thanks again,

joe

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu... they are all fine.

But if you really want good HDDs, try the Scorpions. If you worry about energy consumption and noise, try Seagate. I would recommend having one with a freefall sensor and a 7200rpm with big buffer. They really make a difference, especially with such big storage.

The unibodies came in in mid-October, 2008. I remember, I ordered a 13" and a 15" one. :) Until then, I think the black MB has been manufactured. Until that point, I've had a white C2D.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
750s are here now, no need to wait.

Black Macbook will NOT be able to fit a 12.5 mm drive, so 1TB is out.

And after I tell you that the 9.5mm 750 is $120 and a 1TB is $220, you might not care anymore

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136546

Apple purchases their drives from whomever will sell them to it for the cheapest. All drives have the same reliability. They all fail eventually. Some sooner, some later. But no one can tell you which one when. Just buy whatever is cheapest and make sure you have a backup.

joeman16

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Badger, liked your answer the best, thanks.

One more question, the guy at apple care also said pretty definitively that upgrading/replacing my hard drive would NOT void my apple care warranty...any objections to that?

and secondly, i'm a bit wary of installing the hard drive myself, but apple doesnt do it fo you. any good suggestions as to where i could have that put in my macbook?

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Badger, liked your answer the best, thanks.

One more question, the guy at apple care also said pretty definitively that upgrading/replacing my hard drive would NOT void my apple care warranty...any objections to that?

and secondly, i'm a bit wary of installing the hard drive myself, but apple doesnt do it fo you. any good suggestions as to where i could have that put in my macbook?

I think my 5 year old daughter could replace the drive in your macbook, its that easy.

Pop out your battery and you will see the instuctions printed right on the case on how to replace the ram. Once you remove the metal bracket, you will see the drive as well. Suuuuuuper simple.

these same videos are on youtube if you lose this link: http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13/

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I think it was Toshiba announced that it has the 1TB in 9.5" and also a 750gb version. They are 5400rpm drives though. I haven't heard of a 7200rpm 1TB drive in the 9.5mm form factor yet though.

Wonder how many more years before SSD will be the same price-per-GB as HDDs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.