Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Hello to all community,
recently I decided to put some upgrades in my beloved and unexpanded Apple IIgs (ROM03) so I went to AppleSqueezer GS as accelerator and wDrive as universal storage.
About the accelerator I really hope the DMA support will be the first voice on the list of the developer but so far is a really good product.
The wdrive instead is causing me some troubles (firmware 2.00b, the last available) because the plan was to add it in the chain of the other physical drives I have (a 5.25" and 3.5") but at present it works as expected if it is the ONLY device connected to the IIgs drive port, this happens with or without the AppleSqueezer installed, in the meantime I went back to original 65C816 for a better understand of those issues. To adapt the 20 pin header of the wdrive to the DB-19 port of the IIgs I ordered the A2Heaven adapter (also on CT6502 site, the wDrive vendor, provides a direct link to this adapter) so I think I am right about my configuration.
My plan was to use the wdrive as hard drive with System 6.0.x still mantaining the usability of other two phisical drives but so far I had no luck in this, also I do not understand the virtual volumes the wdrive automatically ask to initialize when System 6 desktop is loaded, do they need to have an already present 2mg or hdv files or are created on-the-fly by the wdrive itself?
If the wdrive need to be the only device on the IIgs smarport, can I use a physical drive controller inserted in the IIgs internal slot to connect the other two drives or major conflicts are expected?

Last edited:

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Ok, with a bit of trial and error things are starting to be more clearer and I was able to mount and write HFS volumes also on wDrive, the trick was to prepare the HDV files on a IIgs emulator like GSplus formatting the mounted hardfile as ProDOS, the System will warn about the space will be not fully usable, then transfer this HDV file on the SD card where the System 6 is located, boot the wDrive attached to the real IIGS, the System will warn about the need to format the volume and then after a new format in HFS the HDV file will be visible and usable on every reboot. In this moment I am copying the Total Replay v5a4 content to the new HFS volume sized 100 Mb and then I will try to run from it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.