Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
another very noticeable annoyance are the lights in the store. A lot of them are flickering horribly through the passthrough.

As stated in the post below that happens with cameras depending on the refresh rate. My illuminated keyboard flashes.

I asked if the quality and frame speed were really different between the two, and if the 15PM would be better than the AVP, and she said yes absolutely 100%. Is this right?

That is my experience. In another thread the opposite view was expressed.

the reality is that the pass-through video is just blurry.

Yes. What you see is produced by a camera. The cameras have their limitations.
After you put in the lens inserts, you need to “calibrate” the AVP

After the calibration my prescription inserts work fine.

the flickering is a function of refresh rates of the cameras, the screens, and the lights themselves.

as above

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I had a blurriness issue and it was caused by me pulling the strap too far down on the back of my head, causing the headset to tilt upwards. The staff member also had no clue how to assist and I ended up figuring it out for myself about halfway through the eye tracking calibration. The tell to me was that I could see light coming in from around my nose, which I knew from reviews was extremely abnormal. This was on launch day.

One of my family members had almost the exact same issue at a different store and the staff member in that situation figured out the problem but only after several minutes. There seems to be a flaw in the training they were given for the demos.

Last edited:
Reactions: musicman0725

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I had a blurriness issue and it was caused by me pulling the strap too far down on the back of my head, causing the headset to tilt upwards. The staff member also had no clue how to assist and I ended up figuring it out for myself about halfway through the eye tracking calibration. The tell to me was that I could see light coming in from around my nose, which I knew from reviews was extremely abnormal. This was on launch day.

One of my family members had almost the exact same issue at a different store and the staff member in that situation figured out the problem but only after several minutes. There seems to be a flaw in the training they were given for the demos.
I think the people giving the training for the demos have no idea what to expect. There are so many different head shapes and people have different instincts about how to place a strap on their head. It's a learning experience for everyone involved.

DaPhox

Suspended
Oct 23, 2019

Seems to be a flaw in the design…

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
It’s called not being blind to shortcomings of Gen 1 product, and just believe anything Apple puts out must be magical.
Except the “shortcomings” they mention from their demo are NOT the normal issues with this product but clearly an issue with their particular demos. If they’d complained about the device being too heavy, or pass through not being good enough, sure, wait for v2 or v3. But EVERYTHING being blurry, including apps and icons? Horrible flickering? Slow framerate in the videos? That doesn’t track with my demo, or the AVP I bought a few weeks later.

If those issues were common there would be a media firestorm about them. So either something was wrong with the units or the inserts.

Reactions: fatTribble

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I think the people giving the training for the demos have no idea what to expect. There are so many different head shapes and people have different instincts about how to place a strap on their head. It's a learning experience for everyone involved.
Yeah, indeed. In that family member's case that didn't turn them off of buying one so maybe it's not that big of a problem. They didn't even want to do the demo and by the time it was over they were determined to purchase one.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yeah, indeed. In that family member's case that didn't turn them off of buying one so maybe it's not that big of a problem. They didn't even want to do the demo and by the time it was over they were determined to purchase one.
Huh. Well, I had lots of problems with my demo, but I kind of still want one, lol. I'm eagerly waiting for gen 2, and hopefully for prices to come down a bit.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I actually wasn’t a fan of the demo experience at all. I didn’t like the “person just reading from a script” telling me how great it was etc. Would have much preferred a “here’s how you do stuff, poke around” demo. But the experience of using the device sold me on one, so I guess in that way it was a success for Apple.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I actually wasn’t a fan of the demo experience at all. I didn’t like the “person just reading from a script” telling me how great it was etc. Would have much preferred a “here’s how you do stuff, poke around” demo. But the experience of using the device sold me on one, so I guess in that way it was a success for Apple.
I was allowed to play around with various apps, but we mostly just went through the demo as laid out by Apple, and hearing the script read aloud was a distraction. To me, it's critical to spend as long as it takes to find the best lens/light seal combination to avoid experiences like the OP's. It's also unfortunate that the (potential) customer can't use the dual head band, which is so much more comfortable.

Reactions: surferfb

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
I get this, but not everyone is going to be technical enough to grasp all of the use cases. I think they have a pretty good routine where they give you a greatest hits run to make sure you see all of the impressive parts. I'm not sure many people would think to navigate to Apple TV and watch that immersive video for example.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I get this, but not everyone is going to be technical enough to grasp all of the use cases. I think they have a pretty good routine where they give you a greatest hits run to make sure you see all of the impressive parts. I'm not sure many people would think to navigate to Apple TV and watch that immersive video for example.
Oh for sure. I don’t think they should do it differently, just for me it wasn’t a winner.

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007

I experienced blurriness the first time I put the set on for the demo, however, I was able to resolve it before completing the setup (I almost continued with it and am really glad I didn't). I chose to wear my contacts and wasn't sure if that was the problem, but the issue was that I didn't have the headset positioned properly on my head and I wasn't tightening the solo band enough. Once I got the headset properly adjusted, everything was crystal clear. The tech was not quick to tell me I was doing something wrong (he just kept asking if it felt balanced), but I realized there is no way Apple would design a device at this price point that performed the way I was experiencing it so I made sure to correct the issue before moving on. I would definitely recommend anyone who experienced this for their demo go back as the blurriness almost ruined my experience.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
When I went back in to check the fit a week after buying, there was a demo going on. The guy at times was reading from a script like you said. But when I had my demo the woman just talked to me and made it very interactive and natural as if showing the device to a friend. There were no marketing lines and no pressure to buy. It was excellent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.