Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So....you can activate Siri via the button on the motorola device and use its microphone, but audio from the phone (siri, calls, music, and all) plays through your hard-wired connection between the phone and car (3.5mm, sync cable)?

If so, that's a winner right there.

After further examination, it looks like the parrot kits require tearing apart the dash and installing hardware behind the scenes. Deal breaker.....I already have the phone wired in, I just need a way to activate siri remotely....THATS IT.

If you're looking for a Bluetooth button that activates Siri, but leaves all your audio going through other channels - stop looking, it ain't gonna happen. Bluetooth pairing sets up a "Profile" that does not distinguish between control & audio, so if you pair a device up to control the phone - that device is where the audio is going to go (by default - once in a call you could switch it on the phone's screen, but that would defeat your purpose).

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
This is news to me.

I just bought a new Nissan Rogue and it's all Bluetooth in it. If I hold down the "Call" button or whatever, will I be able to bring up Voice Control and have it play a specific song off of my iPhone 4? (The UI for song selection is really clunky on my system)

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Add GMC and Hyundai to the list of automakers.

And add Subaru to the list. I have to agree with the OP, a lot of BUILT IN vehicle BT systems cannot activate the voice dialling feature on the iPhone which mean they cannot activate Siri. I have a lot of experience with many BT Visor mounted hands free units over the years (Motorola, Jabra, BlueAnt, etc.) and all of them were able to activate the iPhone's onboard voice dialling and worked pretty much like a charm. Sometimes it was a double tap on the answer button, sometimes a long button press but they all worked.

I'm a little disappointed that my brand new 2011 Subaru doesn't work the same way and unfortunately it doesn't download the iPhone's contact list either into the vehicle like my wife's new Kia does. For now I have the iPhone in a nice ProClip cradle and it's easy enough to press the home button on the phone but it would be easier from the steering wheel buttons. Once I'm actually in the call the vehicle hands free bluetooth works as expected. Cheers!

P.S. I will be contacting Subaru to see if they have any firmware updates for the head unit to rectify this but I'm not holding my breath in regards to a satisfactory answer. Keep ya posted....

James

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is news to me.

I just bought a new Nissan Rogue and it's all Bluetooth in it. If I hold down the "Call" button or whatever, will I be able to bring up Voice Control and have it play a specific song off of my iPhone 4? (The UI for song selection is really clunky on my system)

Maybe. I can do it with the aftermarket JVC stereo in my Saturn. I have read that some OEM Bluetooth solutions work OK and some don't. Some manufacturers (e.g. Ford) have Bluetooth firmware updates that the dealership can apply to enable new features.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Add Porsche (with factory BT) to the list of systems that can't activate Siri. I've tried every combination of the call Send/End buttons I could think of. Hold the home button on the phone, however, and Siri functions perfectly through the car's BT audio system.

I'll try my 2011 Chevy Equinox w/ factory BT later this week.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Soooo...

-Ford
-Chevy
-Kia
-BMW
-Audi
-Porsche
-Subaru
-Infiniti
-Lexus
-GMC
-Hyundai
-Nissan

......And more will NOT work with Siri until it is manually activated from the phone itself.

People may think I'm being silly, but I think this will eventually catch on.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Some people have reported that this can be configured in their vehicle (not the case it seems for my BMW)

I have a button but when pressing, it just calls the last person dialed. I have a separate button for the voice command in the car.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Soooo...

-Ford
-Chevy
-Kia
-BMW
-Audi
-Porsche
-Subaru
-Infiniti
-Lexus
-GMC
-Hyundai
-Nissan

......And more will NOT work with Siri until it is manually activated from the phone itself.

Add jeep/chrysler to the list that can NOT activate Siri. But from what I read, once activated, you can communicate perfectly with her over bluetooth through car speakers/mic.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Some people have reported that this can be configured in their vehicle (not the case it seems for my BMW)

I have a button but when pressing, it just calls the last person dialed. I have a separate button for the voice command in the car.
Hmmm - With a Moto bluetooth, holding down the call button calls the last number, but tapping it briefly (like you would to answer a call, for example) activates Siri. Just curious - did you try that on the factory BT?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hmmm - With a Moto bluetooth, holding down the call button calls the last number, but tapping it briefly (like you would to answer a call, for example) activates Siri. Just curious - did you try that on the factory BT?

Exact opposite with my JVC Bluetooth, tap for redial press/hold for voice.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The fundamental issue is that the car manufacturers don't want to turn the vehicle into an "outlet" for your mobile, because that would end up costing them money in the form of monthly/annual service subscriptions for things like NAV and the like... not to mention how are they going to charge you $3000 for a NAV package on an Acura or Audi if you have a basic screen-out function from your iPhone or Android phone that lets it just use the car like a giant speaker/video-phone?

At the end of the day this IS coming as seen by timid steps from Pioneer (with their crappy "app-radio") and Toyota (who have announced a "screen out" feature for android and ios coming next year).

Basically, when you can get an aftermarket head unit that fully mirrors the phone screen and offers competent audio integration, WITHOUT needing to jailbreak the iphone, then you will start to see the manufacturers respond.

My position is that the manufacturers need to support using the phone as the core of the comms in the car, and find value added ways of justifying their high end accessory packages and subscription services. For example, make an app on the iphone that can remote start the car, show you the car location, unlock doors, etc, and I will pay $10 a month for that.

Frankly automakers are behind the times, in a major way. Ford, as crazy as it sounds is furthest along. I test drove a new Focus and the telematics were 10X better than they were on the $48K Audi A4 that I also test drove.

elie195

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
The fundamental issue is that the car manufacturers don't want to turn the vehicle into an "outlet" for your mobile, because that would end up costing them money in the form of monthly/annual service subscriptions for things like NAV and the like... not to mention how are they going to charge you $3000 for a NAV package on an Acura or Audi if you have a basic screen-out function from your iPhone or Android phone that lets it just use the car like a giant speaker/video-phone?

At the end of the day this IS coming as seen by timid steps from Pioneer (with their crappy "app-radio") and Toyota (who have announced a "screen out" feature for android and ios coming next year).

Basically, when you can get an aftermarket head unit that fully mirrors the phone screen and offers competent audio integration, WITHOUT needing to jailbreak the iphone, then you will start to see the manufacturers respond.

My position is that the manufacturers need to support using the phone as the core of the comms in the car, and find value added ways of justifying their high end accessory packages and subscription services. For example, make an app on the iphone that can remote start the car, show you the car location, unlock doors, etc, and I will pay $10 a month for that.

Frankly automakers are behind the times, in a major way. Ford, as crazy as it sounds is furthest along. I test drove a new Focus and the telematics were 10X better than they were on the $48K Audi A4 that I also test drove.

In my car, I'm able to stream any audio from the phone to my car over Bluetooth. Music apps like spotify and pandora work great. I can even change songs through my deck. Pandora and the built-in music app both display the track information as well. My GPS app works over Bluetooth as well.

So I don't think car manufacturers are doing anything currently to hinder the connectivity of cell phones to their cars over Bluetooth. The only functionality that's missing is Siri activation from the car rather than from the home button on the phone.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I use a Jabra CRUISER speakerphone with ADCP and AVRCP. It works great, I just press and hold the main button to activate Siri. Over the past week or so, though, I've seen significant decreases in speech recognition accuracy when using the speaker phone. Hope that clears up.

Bag302

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KPLS7K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00093041I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1680DF07MRN415XS2DCX

Griffin Bluetrip AUX is working awesome for me. Plugs into cig lighter and is barely noticeable. Resyncs with my phone seemlessly. Sound quality is good. Just touch the button and Siri starts her thing.

2 caveats however,
1) You have to have an AUX audio input in your car already and you must run a cord from the cig lighter to the aux input
2) If your cig lighter power turns on and off with the ignition, the iphone will sync automatically every time you enter the car and turn it on. If your socket has continuous power even when the ignition is off, you will have to re-pair the BT manually.

JUMPINTHEGUN

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
What I did was purchase a holder from proclipusa.com which made the home button very easy to press when driving. It's the closest thing to a button on the steering wheel. I wouldn't expect car manufacturers to allow this functionality unless Siri really takes off. It took them years to integrate iPods into their systems. A software update would also probably never happen because how would the car know if you want to use the car voice activation system or Siri?

I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra w/ Bluetooth and have the same setup. The phone works through bluetooth, audio connects via 3.5mm and to activate Siri, I just press the home button located conveniently next to the steering wheel (closer than radio controls). If, as you stated, all you are looking for is a button to activate Siri, this would be an effective, easy, inexpensive setup. Certainly easier than buying a second bluetooth device, hooking it to your visor and having to reach up to activate it...

Cruzer442

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
In stead of fumbling around for your phone why not keep it within easy reach? Seems like a pretty cheap solution.
Slightly more expensive ($2)

nomik2

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2010
Add Mazda to that list.

2010 Mazda 3...won't work, just runs the cars built in voice recognition.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Soooo...

-Ford
-Chevy
-Kia
-BMW
-Audi
-Porsche
-Subaru
-Infiniti
-Lexus
-GMC
-Hyundai
-Nissan

You can add MINI to the list of not activating. (2012)

DMaiworm

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
Need to request Feature / Workaround from Apple...

... for me it would be enough if we could activate Siri by dialing a certain number (##7474**) from the car's bluetooth kit.
That way I could activate Siri by pressing the Steering Wheel button which fires up the VW voice recognition and then ask it to call "Siri" - (as a normal contact that I created before).

After the Siri activation number is called, you hear the Voice prompt and can start asking Siri to do whatever you need. The voice prompt should always wait for silence and then act when you are done asking. But it should return with additional prompts for further questions until you hang up and therefore tell Siri that the service is no longer needed.

What do you guys think? Would that be something to try and get from Apple through the Feature request system? Even it was IOS 6, it would be a great addition IMHO and not too difficult to implement either...

Daniel

P.S.: I have the iPod charger & stereo connection kit from VW in my glove box. Pressing the home button there is simply not feasible.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
This isn't necessarily true; my Jawbone allows me to talk to Siri and routes audio to a dock connector that is integrated into my car's stereo. It seamlessly switches between the two. I don't have to manually switch between the A2DP audio of the jawbone and the output to the dock connector.

If you're looking for a Bluetooth button that activates Siri, but leaves all your audio going through other channels - stop looking, it ain't gonna happen. Bluetooth pairing sets up a "Profile" that does not distinguish between control & audio, so if you pair a device up to control the phone - that device is where the audio is going to go (by default - once in a call you could switch it on the phone's screen, but that would defeat your purpose).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
We have a 2011 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 with the infotainment package (7" LCD, Navigation system) and when we have the telephone menu up, and we hold down the voice button, the iPhone's voice system comes up.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Here's what I don't understand: you want a button to activate Siri without using the button on your iPhone to activate Siri. What's the difference? It's still a button you have to push. I use a Griffen Bluetrip in my truck that plugs into the cigarette lighter and connects via Bluetooth to my iPhone and into the aux port of the factory stereo. When I want Siri, I push the button on my iPhone and it all activates through the car stereo. It makes and receives calls over the speakers too. It's on amazon for $70. http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...LS7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325202928&sr=8-1

To me, It makes absolutely no sense to want to replace a button with another button. I seriously doubt that with your stereo and vehicle speakers you'll notice a difference between using Bluetooth for music vs the USB port.

----------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KPLS7K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00093041I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1680DF07MRN415XS2DCX

Griffin Bluetrip AUX is working awesome for me. Plugs into cig lighter and is barely noticeable. Resyncs with my phone seemlessly. Sound quality is good. Just touch the button and Siri starts her thing.

2 caveats however,
1) You have to have an AUX audio input in your car already and you must run a cord from the cig lighter to the aux input
2) If your cig lighter power turns on and off with the ignition, the iphone will sync automatically every time you enter the car and turn it on. If your socket has continuous power even when the ignition is off, you will have to re-pair the BT manually.

I posted bout this before I saw your post. The BlueTrip works perfect for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.