Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I was thinking yesterday "Hmm.. I want to develop for the iPhone but I don't know javascript. I wish it was as easy as Dashcode..." and then I thought "WAIT! Widgets are purely javascript, html, and css! So if you take a widget (some don't work) and go thru it's contents, it'll work in Safari! SO if you are a widget developer, just put it thru Safari and make changes accordingly. The i button doesn't animate but it does flip! Here are some pictures:

litebritezj7.png

moviewidget2no3.png

widgetxb8.png

(I found the Movie Widget online, I do NOT have leopard. You would know if I had that cool theme but I still have brushed metal :() A lot more widgets work, Pig Latin, Hexley's RPS, Hangman!, Chi Pet, almost every countdown, homerQuotes, every pre-included widget, and more! Though, some don't. Like ones with flash/java (obviously wouldn't work) Some just don't load right. Go Go Red Ball, Lost, Flip A Coin, Sudoku, and more. :(

Since Safari runs quartz compositions, you can technically make widgets out of them and then run them on the iPhone as screen savers!

What ever, we now have new ways to make apps for the iPhone. If this was previously known info, sorry for a pointless thread.

aria505

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah, I've been checking this out as well, but I haven't had the chance to try to fix any of the ones that don't seem to work very well.

Hopefully many of them can be fix pretty easily. I bet going through a removing some of the dashboard APIs would fix the majority of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.