Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
For years I've had the Smart Folio on my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9" and although it soon started to fall apart and was obviously very low quality, the magnet hold until I sold the device.

Now, on my 6th gen iPad Pro 12.9, I decided to get the same Smart Folio from Apple. I was so stupid to buy the same one again, but I just couldn't get used to all these heavy cases that were otherwise out there.

So I noticed that compared my old Smart Folio, this one has a very weak magnet. It can't hold the case when folded together in a certain position, like the old one did.

Has anyone else observed the same problem?

It even almost seems like there's an entire magnet that was removed, to be precise at the right-most vertical fold after you opened the Smart Folio.

I would usually fold the left-most side on top of the middle part, and fold these two parts on top of the right-most part. This way, the interior of the Smart Folio isn't exposed to the outside. Now I would take all these folded parts, and move them behind the iPad. The right-most fold will place itself at around ⅓ of the width of the iPad, and you could observe it would be lightly hold there, by a magnet.

None of these iPads have a magnet in that spot, so it must be inside the Smart Folio, the folded sides sort of hang together. This doesn't really work on the 6th gen Pro 12.9" however, or at least only very very weakly.

Now I'm thinking of returning it, but if all of them are like this it's obvious Apple has been saving money once more, and in that case I won't bother swapping it with the same one again but I'll just go look for another model.

Sorby

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
Since August 2023 I've been happy with my Brydge 12.9 Max+ keyboard for my iPad. It's been fine on my lap as well as table top. However, a short time ago the hinge stopped holding and I saw cracks in the hinge area. Alas, it looked like Brydge had foreclosed. Anyway, no luck (so far) through the eBay seller, but they may come good.
I see, however, that Brydge is resurrected, hopefully with a new hinge mechanism. Has anyone had any experience with the new Brydge case? See Brydge.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.