Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Smartwatch or Glasses?

Me, I'm leaning more to watches.. They are more natural (and less intrusive) compared to someone who wears a camera on their face.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Smartwatch or Glasses?

Me, I'm leaning more to watches.. They are more natural (and less intrusive) compared to someone who wears a camera on their face.

I dont like wearing a watch and ive never tried on a Google Glass so cant say if id like them or not but neither really interest me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
A watch for the reasons you mentioned. Society is not ready for everyone to be wearing glass

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Neither, and not because they "aren't cool" or "look weird"..I just can't figure out what purpose they serve beyond what current smartphones can achieve?

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I'd much prefer a watch to something on my face, but neither seem really compelling to me.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I like the look of the Galaxy Gear. I wish it did more than it currently does but I'm hoping the next version will fix that.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Neither, and not because they "aren't cool" or "look weird"..I just can't figure out what purpose they serve beyond what current smartphones can achieve?

In the mall and can't hear my phone ring. Driving and don't want to look at my phone. Someone text me when I'm in a meeting

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Wearables..Which would you choose and why?

None.

Because I don't feel the need for, IMO, less than attractive electronics hanging off my person. I prefer to keep my devices in my pocket, or my briefcase, if needed.

Yes, I know, it's all very old school to wear a nice watch, and not some clunky piece of electronics on my wrist. Reaching into my pocket for my phone to access my emails or texts does not seem to me to be an insurmountable or arduous task

And as for Glass...well...

Just one old man's opinion...:D

navra233

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
As of now Smart Watches
Because they can be used whenever we want to use them easily. I don't want all time stuff around my eyes. Although Smart Watches aren't so much smarter in use as Google Glass seem but with recent trend it will be good to try. :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Smartwatch or Glasses?

Depends what I'm doing. If I want to be totally engrossed in doing something then I'd say glasses. If I need something convenient, but not in my face (literally) I say smartwatch. Personally I don't see the convenience of glancing at my watch though, versus just glancing at my phone but that's just me. But to have my info in front of my face all the time seems to be more valuable, I just don't know if I'm ready to surrender to the electronic world quite that much. Yeah I'm old fashioned, but I still think there is a point where we are connected too much.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
None.

Because I don't feel the need for, IMO, less than attractive electronics hanging off my person. I prefer to keep my devices in my pocket, or my briefcase, if needed.

Yes, I know, it's all very old school to wear a nice watch, and not some clunky piece of electronics on my wrist. Reaching into my pocket for my phone to access my emails or texts does not seem to me to be an insurmountable or arduous task

And as for Glass...well...

Just one old man's opinion...:D

I think Glass is actually more intrusive than phones or tablets.

----------

As of now Smart Watches
Because they can be used whenever we want to use them easily. I don't want all time stuff around my eyes. Although Smart Watches aren't so much smarter in use as Google Glass seem but with recent trend it will be good to try. :)

Glass is a device that is best suited to things like the medical field, industry professionals and law enforcement.

----------

I quote.

"Take Glass's head-movement control shortcuts, for instance. Snapping your head back and forth in casual conversation looks ridiculous and (more importantly) is illegible as phatic communication. In other words, other people around you have no idea what your jerky head movements might or might not signify: Is he turning something on, or off? Is he going to record this conversation, take a picture, or is he just silencing an incoming notification? Or did a bug just land on his ear?"

----------

Why Google Should Ditch Consumers And Sell Glass To Enterprise Instead

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3016674/why-google-should-ditch-consumers-and-sell-glass-to-enterprise-instead#comments

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Watch makes the most sense I think. I couldn't handle wearing glasses since I don't under normal circumstances.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
In the mall and can't hear my phone ring. Driving and don't want to look at my phone. Someone text me when I'm in a meeting

You shouldnt be looking at your watch either. I dont see anything here you said that would be any different than having your phone on you unless the watch will also vibrate and you can feel that better being on our wrist when in the mall.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You shouldnt be looking at your watch either. I dont see anything here you said that would be any different than having your phone on you unless the watch will also vibrate and you can feel that better being on our wrist when in the mall.

A visual cue on the wrist is a lot easier to see and notice than a sound in my pocket. I don't use vibrate b.c it annoys me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.