Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
In this gloomy post-Dark Sky world, I'm getting by with Weather.app for 90% of uses. The one thing that I desperately miss, though, is the hour by hour precipitation probability -- for not just the next 24 hours but also the following few days.

For instance, toilet paper is running low but the situation isn't yet dire. I want to be able to make an educated guess about whether it'll be least icky to walk to the store on the way home from work this evening or tomorrow or the day after. It's going to be overcast with some chance of precipitation each day. But I'd rather go today if tomorrow's rain is most likely between 5-7pm. Or I'd rather go tomorrow if it'll likely be drizzly this evening and all of tomorrow's rain is expected in the wee hours.

Has anyone found an app that offers that data?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Open Weather app.

Scroll down past the 10-day forecast. Keep going down. Down past the air quality, UV and sunset tiles. Then tap the precipitation tile.

You'll see an hourly histogram for rain today and you can quickly swipe left and right to see other days.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Open Weather app.

Scroll down past the 10-day forecast. Keep going down. Down past the air quality, UV and sunset tiles. Then tap the precipitation tile.

You'll see an hourly histogram for rain today and you can quickly swipe left and right to see other days.

Yeah, that's a precipitation amount graph. I'm looking for the precipitation likelihood graph. In Dark Sky it was very common for precipitation amount prediction to be 0 for all hours but precipitation likelihood to be 20%-70% for some of them despite the zero amount prediction. And yes, it was not unusual for it to actually rain (and occasionally heavily) during such a period. I assume that those happened because of scattered rainclouds in the overcast, where the specific path they would end up getting blown through (or the specific moment they'd decide to start releasing their moisture) was hard to predict.

Reactions: max2 and Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Yeah, that's a precipitation amount graph. I'm looking for the precipitation likelihood graph. In Dark Sky it was very common for precipitation amount prediction to be 0 for all hours but precipitation likelihood to be 20%-70% for some of them despite the zero amount prediction. And yes, it was not unusual for it to actually rain (and occasionally heavily) during such a period. I assume that those happened because of scattered rainclouds in the overcast, where the specific path they would end up getting blown through (or the specific moment they'd decide to start releasing their moisture) was hard to predict.
Ah, right. Understood now.

For anything more than a few hours out, I just use the amount as a substitute for probability. A big bar on the chart means rain is guaranteed! Yes, I know it’s a huge oversimplification, but where I live, tomorrow‘s forecast often changes overnight.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.