Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChadZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
I don't know what has happened but for the last few days all of a sudden the default Apple weather app is showing the wrong city. It's set on local and I have Wi-Fi-enabled. I've replicated it on LTE too. There's nothing wrong with the geolocation of my home ISP IP address because it shows as my exact town.

On my windows 8 laptop the default weather app shows the correct town, which is odd. I tried going to settings and I reset the location/privacy settings, I also reset the network settings. I also tried holding down the power button and home button. The issue persists. The strange thing is when I'm outside my city, the local weather updates to the accurate town.

The town I'm getting when home is in actuality an hour away from me. Any ideas?

Started last week running 7.1.1. I updated today to 7.1.2. Issue still there. Not jail broken.

iPhone 5S

Last edited:

ChadZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2014
apple's weather app is pretty terrible. i've had weather channel for a couple years now. much much better

That doesn't help me though. I have no problem with the weather app. I've used it for a long time and it does the job. It has a gorgeous interface and it's simple. This is the first time I've had such an issue with the app.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Use another app on your phone that asks for and displays your location, and see if that is correct.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I've had this happen to me as well. I go out of town and when I get back home and check the weather it still shows I'm in another city. Closing the weather app seems to fix it. I'm on 7.0.6 btw.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
That doesn't help me though. I have no problem with the weather app. I've used it for a long time and it does the job. It has a gorgeous interface and it's simple. This is the first time I've had such an issue with the app.

it's a yahoo issue. i had a bunch of problems with it so i went with 3rd party instead

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
it's a yahoo issue. i had a bunch of problems with it so i went with 3rd party instead

Apple's weather app gets it's weather data from Yahoo, Yahoo gets it's weather data from Weather Underground. Weather Underground is now owned by Weather Channel. In iOS 8, Apple's weather app gets it's weather data from Weather Channel.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Weather Issue

Apple's weather app gets it's weather data from Yahoo, Yahoo gets it's weather data from Weather Underground. Weather Underground is now owned by Weather Channel. In iOS 8, Apple's weather app gets it's weather data from Weather Channel.

Then shouldn't apples weather app display the same information as the weather channel app? :confused:

Currently on my iPhone for my town.

iOS weather reporting 77, forecast high tomorrow 88

Weather channel app reporting 75, forecast high tomorrow 89

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Weather Issue

Then shouldn't apples weather app display the same information as the weather channel app? :confused:

Currently on my iPhone for my town.

iOS weather reporting 77, forecast high tomorrow 88

Weather channel app reporting 75, forecast high tomorrow 89

No. It's an app. Isn't that up to Apple to decide or even Weather Channel?

Last edited:

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey

i know finally they're ditching yahoo but still won't be enough, the app will still be vague

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.