Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have added my location to the High Sierra Notification Center Weather widget probably four times now. A few hours later, it will be missing and the only thing in the widget is the "+ Add" control.

I used to just rely on the Today widget, which usually showed the weather. As of some weeks ago (maybe longer), the Today widget stopped displaying anything at all. It's like it's not even there (it's listed when I go to edit the Notification Center widgets).

What the hell is going on with these things? I didn't care for the Notification Center for years, and now that I start to actually use it, it's just a pile of broken garbage. In a related annoyance, my iPhone 6s with iOS 12.x wont show me many notifications at all (reminders, especially). These work fine on my iMac and iPad Pro (also on iOS 12.x), and the phone wont keep in sync with the other two.

Yeah yeah yeah, I should update to current versions... But I'd need new Macs. Yeah yeah yeah, I should get new Macs, but I'm poor. Yeah yeah yeah, I should get a job, but I'm on disability.

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
It could be that you have to set another thing here:
Go to: preferences > security and privacy > privacy (last tab)
Unlock it with your password and under Location add the apps you allow to know the location (for Weather this is system services IIRC).

Hope this helps!

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It could be that you have to set another thing here:
Go to: preferences > security and privacy > privacy (last tab)
Unlock it with your password and under Location add the apps you allow to know the location (for Weather this is system services IIRC).

Hope this helps!
Nope. I tried that. Thanks though.

I actually watched the Mac widget delete its location when I used the weather widget/app on my iPhone. Clearly this is an iCloud interaction bug that Apple will never fix because they barely fix bugs in current versions, let alone deprecated versions.

Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.