Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one3

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Vancouver-ish
I think everyone should remember that 3rd party apps (web apps in this case) are an ADD ON feature and NOT part of the functionality and specs of the iPhone. It's like buying a Toyota Camery and then being upset at Toyota that they aren't making the car super easy to just add every third party add-on you want in any way you want. The iPhone does all that it's advertised to do and if you are buying it and being disappointed by it's lack of 3rd party app support, well I'm afraid that's just your own fault. You know what you are getting when you are paying for it. If you're not happy with it's functionality ... lots of other 'smartphones' out there for you.

To quote a previous poster: "I paid $600 for a state of the art platform with solid applications" .... and that's what you are getting .... solid apps built by apple to run well on their phone. apple is not selling or promising in any way anything beyond that. They are providing webapps to run and just like any website they have their limitations. Webapps are just websites after all - and we know how many 'buggy' and badly made sites are out there.

Besides, how happy would you be if they let developers make 'phone-based' apps and you happen to install "John Doe's Grocery List Platinum Edition Pro" ... and it just happened to have a but that ... oh let's say ... made the phone not be able to make phone calls .. ?

Anyways. Rant over ... carry one :D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
2 years. was what he said in Jan. Even if it was longer, you ever make a big item? You ever go down the road for months only to discover you have to change your path and wasted 9 months?

Development is not linear a-z perfect.

And you still say this despite apple pulling people from the leopard team AND delaying leopard?

Really?

You misunderstood my statement..

Apple has an internal dev kit.Not for public consumption.Yet.;)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
You misunderstood my statement..

Apple has an internal dev kit.Not for public consumption.Yet.;)

We are in agreement there.

and much more I would bet... there was simply so much to do still in Jan. and they REALLY needed to focus on getting the basics right. Which by the 90%+ approval rating of new buyers I would say they achieved.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I wouldn't mind the web apps system as much if the internet was broadband, but over EDGE it does make me likely not to use them. The iPhone has most software I really use anyway. Most of the other things are just fun features.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
The lack of a way for third-party developers to create apps for the iPhone is the only thing that disappoints me about the device. I'm sure that Apple themselves will address several of the issues that bug me with their own updates in the coming months... syncing Notes and ToDos, more flexible editing, more UI options (sounds, colors, etc.) Apple is very good at these things, and has done it before with the iLife apps.

However, Apple can't do everything. And even if they could, they can't do it all at once. I'd like applications that let me create and edit Word and Excel documents on the iPhone. And of course this means I need to be able to manage my own files somewhere on the device. I'd also like some basic games, like Freecell, Solitaire, and a crossword puzzle program that downloads .puz files. And for every app that I would like, there are a buch that other users would like.

Apple needs to do something to get third party developers working on useful apps as soon as possible. Ok, maybe they want to watch the platform for a while to address and fundamental flaws, and to get a better sense of what many users want. That would make sense to me.

I'd also be in favor of Apple somehow testing and approving any apps that are to be released for the iPhone. They don't want some rogue developer ruining the user experience -- and thus tarnishing their brand and reputation.

Ultimately, reviewers are going to start noticing that the iPhone does a lot less for people than other PDA-type devices do. Especially considering its OS X operating system, powerful processor, and substantial memory/storage. The potential is there... the gate just needs to be opened.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with OP

Web Apps Suck

I cannot wait until Apple releases the API, but I want them to do it right the first time- so in that regard I am totally willing to wait.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Yes they do...

I am starting to really lose my patience with how slow applications load and the general lack of good software for my iphone. I want to let apple know that I am mad as hell about their choice to exclude 3rd party developers. Where is the best place for me to have my voice heard on this matter? I'm thinking an online petition needs to be made. Any suggestions?

I appreciate that so many are making these web apps... but they suck. I give props to those who write them nonetheless..

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Steve Jobs will ENDORSE Webb apps even more!

Something makes me think that the next speech Steve Jobs makes about the iphone will include a statement like "There are over 2,000 web apps for the iphone! This solution has proven to be a sucess!"

Apple has a long standing history of being stubborn in it's decisions. Webb apps suck...I mean suck BIG TIME...but dont expect 3rd party apps to be available for the iphone ANYTIME in the near future.

Furthermore, I mean, the iphone doesn't even have color-coded multiple calanders (a feature I can stand living without), or copy/paste.

As an iPhone user, my opinion is that apple kept feeding into the hype by saying "the updates for the iphone are going to be seemless...we may see flash support, MMS, etc. etc." I think Steve Job's knows how to sell product, and this was EXACTLY what early adopters NEEDED to hear in order to buy the iPhone.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but if Apple proves me wrong then we are all winners! So I hope they do.

-Propynyl

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Something makes me think that the next speech Steve Jobs makes about the iphone will include a statement like "There are over 2,000 web apps for the iphone! This solution has proven to be a sucess!"

Apple has a long standing history of being stubborn in it's decisions. Webb apps suck...I mean suck BIG TIME...but dont expect 3rd party apps to be available for the iphone ANYTIME in the near future.

Furthermore, I mean, the iphone doesn't even have color-coded multiple calanders (a feature I can stand living without), or copy/paste.

As an iPhone user, my opinion is that apple kept feeding into the hype by saying "the updates for the iphone are going to be seemless...we may see flash support, MMS, etc. etc." I think Steve Job's knows how to sell product, and this was EXACTLY what early adopters NEEDED to hear in order to buy the iPhone.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but if Apple proves me wrong then we are all winners! So I hope they do.

-Propynyl

Ive given the whole web app thing a lot more thought over the past few weeks. Trying to put myself in Apple's shoes.

I still do think the initial web apps that are out right now pale in comparison to rich client apps there should be very little argument there.

However, I'm starting to see now why Web Apps are crucial to the success of the iPhone and Apple's presence in the cell phone market.

There is an amazing amount of leverage Apple can garner If Web apps prove to be a hit. Simply because 1. they are being customized to work with iPhone and because 2. They basically require access via a full fledged web browser, ie Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc .

This little formula lends a ton of leverage to Apple as a cellphone mfg. because they put a working desktop OS on a phone that can run a working web browser. It kind of puts the rest of the manufactures at a big disadvantage because you can't run Safari on a Razr for example.

In this regard I understand why Apple will try to put time and money into making Web Apps a popular hit. Now if only they could overcome connection speed over EDGE, and help nurture the creativity and development of web apps we might see this whole Web App thing in a different light.

All that said, this is still no excuse for not having a better notes app on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.