Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1visitor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I've been running Leopard 10.5.5 along with Parallels/Windows XP along, both using a wireless connection to a Netgear FWAG114 router.

Yesterday I did a few software updates: Safari, Airport Extreme, and a Migration Tool.

Result: internet is gone in XP (it displays a yellow mark about no connectivity)
In OSX, web browsing is working despite still slow, and some wep pages will not open. Tried Safari and Opera, neither will do. For example: http://www.citibankonline.com

Is there any way I could reverse the state of things to before I ran the software updates ? I'd rather not have to re-install the whole system.

Could I possibly copy files from a SuperDuper backup that would make things behave as before, which such files ?

I appreciate any word of advice.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Have you rebooted your netgear router or updated the netgear router firmware?

Netgear products typically need very frequent rebooting.

1visitor

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
The problem affects wireless only

The problem is with wireless only.
Everything works with the wired connection, including XP by way of BootCamp.
I'm connected to DSL by a 3com router, to which the Netgear is connected.

It was working fine (though a bit slow) until I did latest software updates: Safari 3.2, Airport Extreme, and Migration.

Since the updates, there's no longer wireless conection in XP through Parallels Desktop 3.
Also, some web pages don't open in Safari or other browser. "Can't find server"is the message I get.

I try reinstalling Safari from the Combo update 10.5.5, no difference. It appears that the issue was caused by the Airport Extreme update, and I don't know if I can revert to previous state of things.
Also, restoring my full backup would mean having to reinstall several recent programs plus the risk of overwriting personal files (happened once despite trying to be very careful about it).

Again, thanks to any word of advice.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Try changing the channel on which the wireless operates. Usually, the consumer routers default to channel 6, which can cause a lot of interference. I use channel 11 and it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.