Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ganache

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi everyone,
I have a small 'at home' cake decorating business. I've had a website for a few years now which I built using iWeb (yep, a long time ago), which has worked a treat for me but now the host Mac is dead! SO, I would like recommendations on a similarly simple web builder (with some nice themes) that I can use on my Mac and publish via my web hosting company.
My requirements are quite simple; Home page, theme pages; Wedding cakes, Birthday cakes etc., a few Helpful information pages, contact page. No shopping cart required. It's really a site to showcase my work and allow people to contact me.
I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Thank you :)

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
https://mobirise.com could be worth a try. Not used it personally since I'm a front-end developer, but only heard of it some time ago.

Other option would be to just go and buy for example Wordpress template which contains "website builder" by completing pages as blocks.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Go read the reviews here: https://websitesetup.org/website-builders/

I've only used #4 on that list, Squarespace, and that was relatively easy to set up and maintain, mostly for "flashy" microsites with lots of (high quality) photos.

Another way to go is to find a web host that supports Softaculous which gives you one-click-installers for a lot of the most popular Content Management Systems (CMS), blog tools, etc; including Wordpress, which offers a lot of easily installed themes and plugins. Learning the basics of Wordpress is relatively easy, and there's tons of online help.

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
New York
Unlike other people posting here, I'd try to steer you in the direction of creating your own self-hosted WordPress website.

In my experience, page builders like Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace are clunky and they charge you lots of money to remove their branding from your website.

They also tack on additional charges for things like Google Analytics, which you can set up for free on your own with a self-hosted WordPress website.

In my opinion, your best option is to sign up for an affordable managed WordPress web hosting service like SiteGround, then install a drag-and-drop theme like X Theme. You could also check out Beaver Builder!

Reactions: BeechFlyer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.