Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagarin04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
I'm looking in to the possibilities of doing web development (backend) on the go (train, bus, what have you) on an iPhone.

Is anyone doing this on a semi-regular basis? What apps, tools and other supporting utilities are you using?

I assume you'd want your editor to auto type as much as possible, with autosuggestions, autocomplete and automatic indentation, and have brackets ({}) and others readily available on your touch keyboard, etc.

What would be the best way of configuring an editor to behave like this? Using vim with a bunch of plugins in a terminal emulator? A stripped down version of VS Code running in the browser? Something else?

bttrdg

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
London, United Kingdom
My input will probably be of little help to you if you’re looking for a solution that simplifies coding for use on an iPhone. But I have recently been permitted access to GitHub’s Codespaces feature (currently in beta); a cloud-hosted, fully fledged VS Code environment accessible via a browser. It works very well on an iPad with a connected Smart Keyboard Folio, and allows you to spin up your localhost while automatically forwarding the necessary port for access in a separate tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.