Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I am having an issue accessing the internet. I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum category or not.

For the past week or so, I have sporadically been getting the following the error message randomly when going online. It will come up when trying to access a webpage, but it seems to have no relation to the page itself. It comes up on a wide variety of webpages.

IMG_4603.PNG

"Traffic blocked because of exceed per IP shaper session quota. Please contact the system administrator. Your session quota is:512, further traffic will be blocked."

I get this message on both my computer (on both Safari and on Chrome) and on my husband's iPad. Usually, if I refresh the page, the webpage I was originally trying to go to will load. But sometimes this error message will just keep coming up when I try to reload the page.

I am using a MacBook Pro Retina, OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.4, Safari 9.1. My husband's iPad is an early iPad Mini (I'm not sure exactly which one) running the most recent iOS, I believe 9.3.1, and using Atomic web browser.

I have tried doing a search online for other people with this same problem, and I found lots of different complaints, but they were all in different languages from all over the world. And none of them had any actual fixes. The only one in English and that even made any sense is here: http://superuser.com/questions/550362/http-requests-met-with-traffic-blocked-bec ause-of-exceed-per-ip-shaper-session. But it doesn't really say how to fix it.

I called Dish Network, my ISP, and no one there had heard of this problem. Their only suggestion was to plug my modem directly into my computer, bypassing the router, and see if I still experience the problem, in order to see if the problem is originating from my AirPort Extreme. Unfortunately, my computer, a MacBook Pro Retina, does not have an ethernet port.

One thing I noticed: it seems like it might happen less when I quit Transmission. Could that have anything to do with the problem? But then why is it happening on other devices?

I am at a complete loss of what to do about this, it is slowly getting worse and coming up more often. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would really appreciate any ideas on what this is and how to fix it. Thank you.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Does sound, and appear, that you are hitting your quota for the day with your ISP (I'm assuming there might be a 512MB/day on Dish). And since it's the connection into the home, yes, will affect the iPad and whatever other device might be in the home.

And it probably is due to Transmission, since it's acting as a seed for other bit torrent clients hitting your network/computer.

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

My dish quota is 50GB for the month, not daily. And the month just reset a few days ago; I still have 45 GB to go. I also have Transmission set on a schedule to only download at night. Dish didn't have any idea what this is, nor does it look or sound like a formal Dish statement. So it is all a bit baffling to me.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Something, either your ISP (Dish?), or your router, is applying a quota to stop network abuse. If your ISP knows nothing about it then it maybe an unintentional parental control type setup in your router.

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I have an AirPort Extreme router. Can you tell me how to go about looking through controls like that?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

My dish quota is 50GB for the month, not daily. And the month just reset a few days ago; I still have 45 GB to go. I also have Transmission set on a schedule to only download at night. Dish didn't have any idea what this is, nor does it look or sound like a formal Dish statement. So it is all a bit baffling to me.

Thats a download quota, its possible they also apply a lower upload quota, which is maybe what Transmission is using when you are seeding content UP.

Try disabling seeding in transmission.
[doublepost=1460348354][/doublepost]
I have an AirPort Extreme router. Can you tell me how to go about looking through controls like that?

I don't think Airports support such controls so that leaves you with the ISP quota. Try disabling Transmission seeding. Who else accesses your network?

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
Well, Dish already told me that this notice has nothing to do with them. And I know that even though Transmission was open, it was not allowing any uploading or downloading during Dish's daytime quota period, which is done by the month anyway. But I have quit Transmission for now, maybe it will make a difference.

Also, the 50GB quota from Dish is for all web traffic, so it shouldn't cause this problem as far as I or Dish can tell.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
You get it on two devices so the limit isn't being imposed by either device.

That leaves the router or ISP, there isn't anything else.

If the Airport doesn't support it then that leaves the ISP. You wouldn't be the first user an ISP has given inaccurate information to, it maybe even unintentional on their part.

Such shaping is done by ip address range, quite possible they have started using an ip range they have not used before or recently and it has a policy (or shape) associated with it. You could also try rebooting your router/modem and see if that gets you a new ip address which may or may not be associated with the same policy.

Reactions: NoBoMac

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I have tried rebooting the modem and router already to no effect. Can you tell me how to check my router settings, like you mentioned before?

Also, could it be some kind of virus or malware that got into my computer and then somehow duplicated itself onto the iPads?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have tried rebooting the modem and router already to no effect. Can you tell me how to check my router settings, like you mentioned before?

Also, could it be some kind of virus or malware that got into my computer and then somehow duplicated itself onto the iPads?

Searching for Airports indicates they don't support quota's like some routers so no settings to check. I don't know of any cross-platform virus like that and certainly not on the OSX/iOS platforms.

If I google the message you get, it all points to ISP limiting usage. Did you try stopping transmission? Does anyone else use your network that may also be torrenting or seeding?

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I appreciate your looking into this for me.

For now I have turned off Transmission and switched to uTorrent. I have had this same setup (Dish sat. internet + Transmission) for over a year now with no problems, so I don't think torrenting itself is the problem. I'll have to wait and see if I still encounter this issue after switching to uTorrent. No one who uses my network does torrenting. Maybe a bug in Transmission somehow introduced something into the system that is causing the problem?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
They can spot torrenting by other means, if you arent willing to stop torrenting to see whether that is the cause then I cant help you any further.

No that isnt possible for any bug in Transmission to randomly create such a message and block your traffic.

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
So, you're saying that even though I am staying within the limits of my actual usage quota with my ISP, they may be making this message come up because they don't like the fact that I am torrenting?

It also seems odd to me that of the few other places I found this error talked about online, most were from various locations around the world, not in the US, and not using Dish as their ISP.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Quite possible

It may see, odd to you but having worked for an ISP I dont see your second paragraph as relevant at all.

Maybe you know better?

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I don't mean to say that I know better. I am just trying to come to what seem like logical observations. If I continue to experience the problem for much longer, I will certainly stop torrenting to see if that helps, and let you know the results.

LaylaGaia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
SOLUTION to “Traffic blocked because of exceed session quota” error.

I seem to have found the solution for this error coming up when I am going to webpages. I am no longer experiencing it at all.

I did three things, any of which could have fixed the problem: 1) I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac program and deleted the malware that it found, 2) I switched torrenting programs from Transmission to uTorrent, and 3) I ran ClamXav anti-virus scan. I also changed my wi-fi password, cleared all my web cookies and caches, and restarted my Mac computer and iPads.

I’m not sure what combination of the above fixed the problem, but I suspect it was the Malwarebytes program. It has been several days now, and I have not gotten any error messages.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
SOLUTION to “Traffic blocked because of exceed session quota” error.

I seem to have found the solution for this error coming up when I am going to webpages. I am no longer experiencing it at all.

I did three things, any of which could have fixed the problem: 1) I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac program and deleted the malware that it found, 2) I switched torrenting programs from Transmission to uTorrent, and 3) I ran ClamXav anti-virus scan. I also changed my wi-fi password, cleared all my web cookies and caches, and restarted my Mac computer and iPads.

I’m not sure what combination of the above fixed the problem, but I suspect it was the Malwarebytes program. It has been several days now, and I have not gotten any error messages.
You actually had actual malware?

almog12

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2021
oh no. i have this problem too.
i just know thats begin when i deleted accidentally the ipv6. because of a video in tiktok to improve my web surfing speed.
and i did like reboot to my modem and download driver:
and nothing help!

Attachments

• 1ללא שם.png
    1ללא שם.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 116
  • הגדרות רשת.png
    הגדרות רשת.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.