Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raincoat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hi all,
I shoot mainly wedding and portrait and have just moved from film to digital (Canon 5D). Whilst I am looking to purchase Aperture, as I understand it, it only generates standard HTML galleries for the web.

I would like to hear from any professional or semi-professional photographers who use other software for web publishing. I am looking for something a little more flashy (excuse the pun) perhaps that incorporates flash programming that would be easy for a photographer to implement onto their website.

Also, links to other photographers websites with flash would be useful.

Has anyone developed their own software for this application?

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
take a look at how i have my photos displayed. It's a real simple automation feature in photoshop. _

raincoat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Southampton, UK
6914708 said:
take a look at how i have my photos displayed. It's a real simple automation feature in photoshop. _

Your galleries look flashed based. Is that how photoshop has generated them? I was unaware that photodhop could create galleries in flash?

Cheers for all your replies guys:)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
raincoat said:
These are superb, this is the kind of thing that i am looking for. It would be great to have some alternatives if anyone has any?

Thanks!

Well as Hoef mentioned here Simpleviewer is a simple and free! 'app' that gives a similar result, an alternative if you will ;)

I've used it before and it's worked quite well, and doesn't take up that much space online either :)

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Photoshop The Bomb

I generally use Photoshop for all web galleries on sites I build. It's the best/ fastest tool I've ever used and I have used many, including CMS's, PHP, etc...
Also, you can customize the templates to match your...or a clients site so that galleries are generated ready for the web in a few clicks.
Just my 2 cents worth.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Actually, if you have control over your web server to install whatever you'd like, the PHP-based Coppermine (look for it at sourceforge.net) is excellent. It can be customized to suit your style, and if the colors aren't quite right, you can always Photoshop the source images to tweak it even further.

It's not Flash, but it's attractive, functional, and generates thumbnails automatically. The Photoshop web gallery drives me crazy...I just can't use it.

Sorry I don't have a direct link. Sourceforge is down for maintenance at the moment.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
there are some nice, free, webalbums available on jalbum.net,
there's a choice of a lot of skins, i prefer bananalbum which is also available as a standalone app. (but if you use bananalbum with jalbum there's more adjustability)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.