Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have been searching and researching the options on the web to buy a web site hosting/creation service. What I find is shocking to me.

OK, "conspiracy" is not the word, but english is not my first language.

I google "web site hosting", "web site creation", and so on, ALL search results have so many things in common that I think this is the same company behind every "service provider" and they have a "fake market competition". They all have the same basic look, the same structure to their offerings, even very similar designs and typeface. Just some variations in details, "plans" and so on.

When I search for "web site builder reviews", I find pages and pages of "top ten web site creators" bla bla, that are obviously just computer generated stuff to lead me into going for one of their offers. Doesn't matter which, they're all owned by the same people, it seems to me.

Wadda'ya think?

Reactions: NathanCH

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I think those tools are a waste of time anyway. Now I will say this, there are a few genuine competitors out there, I know that much. As for whether there’s foul play going on, I can’t speak to that, but there certainly is more than one player on the market at least.

But personally I’d not use a tool like that and not even hosting honestly. My own website runs from my Raspberry Pi in the living room and it works perfectly fine.

Reactions: NathanCH

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I think those tools are a waste of time anyway. Now I will say this, there are a few genuine competitors out there, I know that much. As for whether there’s foul play going on, I can’t speak to that, but there certainly is more than one player on the market at least.

But personally I’d not use a tool like that and not even hosting honestly. My own website runs from my Raspberry Pi in the living room and it works perfectly fine.
Twenty years ago, I managed HTML so I could have a nice website for my small business, but now I could really use the help of a web site builder service. But it scares me that what I find looks like syndicate. And not a word of independant opinion.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
A few years ago, I found out that a Mac development company that wrote software I really liked during the System 7 era transitioned to become a web hosting company. I decided to use them for my hosting, and if you are new to web development, they have an easy way to install Wordpress, which is an easy way to get a site up and running. They are definitely not part of a conglomerate. I don’t think we’re supposed to be advertising on the forum, so you can send me a private message if you want their info.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
A few years ago, I found out that a Mac development company that wrote software I really liked during the System 7 era transitioned to become a web hosting company. I decided to use them for my hosting, and if you are new to web development, they have an easy way to install Wordpress, which is an easy way to get a site up and running. They are definitely not part of a conglomerate. I don’t think we’re supposed to be advertising on the forum, so you can send me a private message if you want their info.
Thanks SuperMatt.
I can't really find a private message function on this forum, just "Start a conversation" thing, so I'll just reply here. I'd very much like to check out the company you're referring to. If you just let me know their name right here, I can't imagine that would break any rules, or you start a conversation with me, and I'd be grateful.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
If you mean examples of what I mean by "they look like they are all the same company", just look them up: Wix, Weebly, squarespace... And then there are all these "Top ten services", and "web site services reviews" that all seem fake to me.
One example:
Best Website Builder 2020: I've Reviewed the 15 Best (& Worst)

Yeah they do look similar, but I'm not sure that is because they are all the same.

Top 10 articles are almost always low quality clickbait and I agree that they are likely either fake, manipulated, or just plain garbage.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Thanks SuperMatt.
I can't really find a private message function on this forum, just "Start a conversation" thing, so I'll just reply here. I'd very much like to check out the company you're referring to. If you just let me know their name right here, I can't imagine that would break any rules, or you start a conversation with me, and I'd be grateful.

In that case, the company is Tiger Technologies.

One-time maker of cool utilities for Mac OS 9 and earlier such as speed beep and holiday lights...

As for building the site, they have an easy way to install Wordpress, and their support is very responsive to questions.

Last edited:

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
I think you’re describing competition in a capitalist economy. Wix, Squarespace, et al are competing against each other for the same customers, so until one of them can invent a better toolset, they’re going to look identical.

Regarding the obviously-fake review articles, as was mentioned above, they are just SEO spam articles, written by people trying to get more traffic to the article for more ad revenue. Those articles are in no way affiliated with the companies listed in the reviews.

In short, I see no price fixing and no conspiracy here. I see new tech companies vying for market dominance. That’s not to say it all makes sense, though! It’s stressful for the consumer! Too many choices, all of them similar, makes for analysis paralysis. That’s no fun.

Reactions: casperes1996

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I think you’re describing competition in a capitalist economy. Wix, Squarespace, et al are competing against each other for the same customers, so until one of them can invent a better toolset, they’re going to look identical.

Regarding the obviously-fake review articles, as was mentioned above, they are just SEO spam articles, written by people trying to get more traffic to the article for more ad revenue. Those articles are in no way affiliated with the companies listed in the reviews.

In short, I see no price fixing and no conspiracy here. I see new tech companies vying for market dominance. That’s not to say it all makes sense, though! It’s stressful for the consumer! Too many choices, all of them similar, makes for analysis paralysis. That’s no fun.
So you're trying to help me understand how things work in a free market economy. That's OK, though pretty arrogant. I stand by my analysis, that these sites obviously are not each of them built from ground up, but are copies with graphics and details altered to make them look different at first glanse. Look more closely, compare them to Tiger Tec, and drop the ideology thing. I don't doubt they are different companies on paper, but fake competition is what it smells like.

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
So you're trying to help me understand how things work in a free market economy. That's OK, though pretty arrogant. I stand by my analysis, that these sites obviously are not each of them built from ground up, but are copies with graphics and details altered to make them look different at first glanse. Look more closely, compare them to Tiger Tec, and drop the ideology thing. I don't doubt they are different companies on paper, but fake competition is what it smells like.
I am so sorry I came across as arrogant! That’s the worst! I apologize truly. I wasn’t sure how to say anything without coming across that way, so clearly I failed in my attempt to be helpful. Again I apologize. Please feel free to toss out my thoughts. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.