Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
I'm looking for an inexpensive (or free?) web host with lots of space for uploading images. Any recommendations? Thanks.

-- vjamacaddict, G4 iBook, OS X 10.3.9, Bluetooth, Superdrive

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
inexpensive (free?) with lots of space

you aren't going to find anything reliable that is cheap and has a lot

I personally use u2mike.com but a lot of other people recommend asmallorange.com

i just don't like the orange as a fruit :p (don't know anything about the webhost thou, i know about u2mike.com)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
do you just want to upload, or you actually want people to down images as well?

there isn't a "free" webhost with a lot of bandwidth and hd space. how much transfer bandwidth do you think you will need a month? 1 gb, 10 gb? how much hard drive space will you need?

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
I recommend:

Dreamhost web hosting

and the reason why is because they give you a ridiculous amount of space and bandwidth for the price. I signed up in February and all I know is I have way more web space than I can imagine using. They provide a lot of freebies and it seems like every time I log in they are like we have just doubled everyone's bandwidth.

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
Looking for Web Host

I need a web host mostly for family history. I want to put my blog pages, with journal notes and lots of pictures of our family, ancestors, and travels, for friends and family.

I'd like to have 500 images or more on my website? I don't need anything fancy. I've been using AngelFire since 1997, and have been very happy with AngelFire. I only have 20MB of space though, and need lots more. I'd like to find a web host that is easy to upload files.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
what is lots more? I have 6GB space and 60GB bandwidth for 20 dollars a mont, and i think that is a reasonable amount of money, maybe a bit on the cheap side since they now have 5GB space and 50GB bandwidth for 20 a month. Good thing i started with them when i did ;)

u2mike

you get what you pay for i will say that

aznsal612

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2004
Dreamhost.com

By far the best host I know of and have personally tried. It's been almost two years and I'm very very satisfied. Every year they increase the bandwidth and capabilities, plus they have a great referral program.

My plan is the basic plan, $7.95/month, 2.4 GB storage space, 120 GB bandwidth for your space (which is MORe than enough to store photographs and have as many people as you want view them), and a free domain registration as well.

The uptime is amazing and it has great e-mail and free blogging software of your choice that you can choose to auto install.

Check it out. :D

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
DreamHost Uploading Images/Pages??

How user friendly is DreamHost? Especially concerning uploading images and web pages? I'm considering sigining up with DreamHost for a two-year promotional discount.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
dreamhost is user friendly as long as you know how to do ftp

...that's about the only learning curve I had to get over and it took about 1 min...

it's a great service (check your PM if you havent already)

12ibookg4

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
I would also recommend Dreamhost. I've been with them almost 1 year and must say that they love giving away free upgrades. When I started I had 800MB of storage but over time they upgraded it for free to 2.4GB with 120 GB transfer. Now they upgrade it every week by 20 MB and 1GB. So now I am up to over 3GB of storage and 300GB of transfer (increasing every week).

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
vjmacaddict said:
How user friendly is DreamHost? Especially concerning uploading images and web pages? I'm considering sigining up with DreamHost for a two-year promotional discount.

http://www.lypha.com has good prices as well.

user friendly is relative to the user. if you don't know PHP from POP then all web hosting will not be user friendly, or you in case of uploading SSH (SFTP) vs FTP.

if you are going to get dreamhost you should read this:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=23

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I use VONetwork.com and am pleased with them. Inexpensive. Has a tech support forum. Help desk. WHM reseller panel which I use since I have many domains for business and personal use. CPanel for the site management. Works great.

iN8

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
The Bahamas
I just signed up with dreamhost today and I am happy so far. Was going to go with ASO, but couldn't pass up the deal dreamhost was offering.

Everything was pretty straight forward. Any help I needed was easily found by searching the Knowledge Base or the discussion forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.