Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
im making a web page....problem is everytime i log out.... the links break.

i have to go back in thier and fix them....now im not logging out anymore (assuming this is the problem). im using dreamweaver 4 on the classic environment. i believe logging out is causing this probem...im not sure. i dont have my site defined either.

whats going on ...if anyone knows.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
hmm thats odd. I'd first recommend using OS 9.x when using an OS 9 app, not classic in OSX

you're using relative links right?

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay my links break everytime it goes out of os x classic. i have it set to always start up in classic but for some odd reason somtimes it puts me into os x (not classic) and then when i select a 9 app it does the start up thing for os x classic. why does it do this? i mean i have it set to start up in classic in the first place so why is going into classic when i select a 9 app? is there something i may be doing that makes into automatically go into x (not classic)?

by links i mean the linked images which are done in photoshop 6.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
well I'm not sure about your link problem, have you checked the source of the pages with the broken links?

as to why your computer sometimes starts up in either OS, I've had that before, you will want to reset your pram. restart holding down the option, apple, 'p', and 'r' keys. wait until the computer chimes again and then release. you might have to do this a couple times, but eventually the damn thing gets it in its head to stop starting up using the wrong system.

when you open an OS 9 app in OS X, it has to start up classic in X in order to run it. basically what OS X is doing there is its sort of emulating OS 9 in the background to offer support for OS 9 apps, as it cannot run OS 9 apps like dreamweaver by itself. when you start up in OS 9.x, then you don't have to start up classic because you are running classic as your operating system :D to start up in OS 9.x, you would go to the startup disk panel and select which system folder you want to boot your computer with. if you go into the classic panel in OSX and tell it to start classic when OS X boots, it is just starting classic, which is different from actually booting from the OS 9.x system folder. make any sense? over simplified? sorry I wasn't sure exactly which part you didn't understand

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
hmm... strange. cannot say why you would have problems with broken links. Your best bet, as choppaface mentioned, would probably be to check the source code of your pages to see what's going on. And it's always a good idea to test your site in different browsers from your local disk, to see if there are any problems with links or other stuff (unless your page is heavily dependent on scripts that is).

If you use X, you might want to try out GoLive 6. It has been my favourite web-creation app since version 5 (version 4 sucked big time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.