Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
The external webcam on my 2009 Mac Pro 5,1 is not working at the moment. Just displays black. It's a long story, but I'll try to be as brief as possible.

As you know, in order to upgrade to Mojave on this unsupported Mac, you need to run a patcher. I went through the process and installed Mojave, and everything was working fine. But one day, a prompt from the patcher appeared saying I needed to update patches (or something like that, I can't remember verbatim). I ran the patcher, and it went through a process saying it was updating kext files or something like that). After that, the webcam started showing only black in all programs, including Zoom and FaceTime, though at the time I didn't know the patcher's updates is what caused it.

I spent a week troubleshooting, calling apple etc. I reinstalled Mojave twice, to no avail, and did other processes and troubleshooting. Nothing worked.

Finally, out of nowhere, a prompt appeared saying that Mojave needed to install missing components, or updates, or elements. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact wording of that message. It also had a choice to restart the computer after that installation, or restarting later. It gave me the choice to install the components now or to be reminded later, tomorrow, etc. I decided to give it a try just in case that fixed the webcam issue, though I wasn't expecting much.

Well, it did fix it. The webcam was working in all programs.

The next day, the original patcher asked to update patches. I figured it would be okay to do it, now that the missing Mojave components had been installed. So I ran it, and that was foolish. It went through the same process as before, updating kext files. And the problem came back. Only then I realized that's what caused the problem in the first place.

Here's where I am now. I'm trying to get that Mojave prompt again asking to re-install missing components, and I'm sure that will again restore my webcam. The problem is that no one seems to know how to get that prompt, including Apple Care.

I'm wondering if someone here has had this problem and knows how to get the webcam working again. Thanks for reading, and any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
As you know, in order to upgrade to Mojave on this unsupported Mac, you need to run a patcher.
You must be wrongly informed.
Mojave can ( and should be IMO ) installed natively on a MP 5,1 or MP4,1>5,1.
This is the last supported OS for a MP 5,1 and comes with a FirmWare upgrade .

For more details about how to install Mojave natively , read the first post of the following excellent thread; it covers all possible scenarios :

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Microphone and Webcam not working are undesired effects of having to disable AMFI for patching, but some Webcams like the Apple iSight one don't work anymore since the support was removed.

An early-2009 Mac Pro cross flashed to MP5,1 firmware is functionality equivalent to a mid-2010 or mid-2012 Mac Pro and Mojave will identify it as a MacPro5,1. No patches needed at all unless you are trying to bypass the METAL GPU requirement and the required firmware upgrades.

Do the required Mojave METAL GPU, also the AirPort Extreme (if you need the wireless connection), upgrades and you won't need hacked/patches to have Mojave running.

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
I have an rx 580 gpu, which is metal compatible.

I'm a little confused. When you say flashed firmware, isn't that what the patcher does? What's the difference? I thought I ran the patches so that it updated the firmware. Without it, it wouldn't install.

What would you suggest I do at this point?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It's a METAL supported GPU, you don't need any hacks or patches.

I'm a little confused. When you say flashed firmware, isn't that what the patcher does? What's the difference? I thought I ran the patches so that it updated the firmware. Without it, it wouldn't install.

Patches are hacks for macOS. Firmware is the Mac Pro BootROM - current MacPro5,1 firmware is 144.0.0.0.0. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Mac Pro firmware is only updated by the full, and supported, macOS installer [High Sierra (MP51.0089.B00) and Mojave (144.0.0.0.0)]. Hacked/patched installs don't update the firmware.

Follow the steps below to update to the current BootROM and do a clean and supported install of Mojave.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think there is some confusion over what model you actually have and what its firmware version is.

Please open System Information and take a screenshot of the "Hardware Overview" shown in the window, then post it here. (Use an image editor to delete or blot out your system serial number from the image before posting.) This will help us figure out exactly where your problem might be.

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Here is the Hardware Overview minus serials.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.36.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 6.36.21 AM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 84

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
It's a METAL supported GPU, you don't need any hacks or patches.
Follow the steps below to update to the current BootROM and do a clean and supported install of Mojave.

My gpu is MSI RX 580 8 gb. That's not on the list in the link. Would the system with that gpu need patches? I seem to remember that at one point, I got an error message saying that Mojave could not be installed on this system. Also, on Apple's page listing old systems that would be supported once a metal-supporting gpu is installed, 2009 is not listed for 5,1, but 2010 is. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
My gpu is MSI RX 580 8 gb. That's not on the list in the link. Would the system with that gpu need patches?
No, it's a fully supported GPU.

I seem to remember that at one point, I got an error message saying that Mojave could not be installed on this system. Also, on Apple's page listing old systems that would be supported a metal-supporting gpu, 2009 is not listed.
I've explained it already on post #4, please read it again.

Your Mac Pro already have the required Mojave firmware installed, so you can ignore the firmware upgrade notes and pay attention to SATA/RAID/FileVault and other notes.

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
No, it's a fully supported GPU.

I've explained it already on post #4, please read it again.

Your Mac Pro already have the required Mojave firmware installed, so you can ignore the firmware upgrade notes and pay attention to SATA/RAID/FileVault and other notes.
Ok thanks, your help is appreciated. Question, would this method erase my data? I would still do it, but I'm wondering if it can be done while keeping data.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok thanks, your help is appreciated. Question, would this method erase my data? I would still do it, but I'm wondering if it can be done while keeping data.
Hard to tell, highly dependent on how you installed the hacked install, I’d do the fully supported Mojave install to a brand new SSD, there are 240GB SATA SSDs from reputable brands for little over $30.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
In line with Alex's recommendation, I suggest installing to a clean drive, then importing the data.

Your best bet is to make a Time Machine backup of your existing install. Then when you reinstall Mojave to a clean drive, the installer will prompt you at the end to import your data. At this point, connect your Time Machine drive, proceed with the import, and you'll be all set. This is the simplest way to do it and should give you no trouble.

Edit: As noted by Alex below, this is a bad idea. I have not run into a problem with this before, but Alex has much greater experience in this area.

If you need to preserve your data, do a clean install to a new drive and then manually copy your data over.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsialex

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
In line with Alex's recommendation, I suggest installing to a clean drive, then importing the data.

Your best bet is to make a Time Machine backup of your existing install. Then when you reinstall Mojave to a clean drive, the installer will prompt you at the end to import your data. At this point, connect your Time Machine drive, proceed with the import, and you'll be all set. This is the simplest way to do it and should give you no trouble.
Time Machine from a hacked install is to ask for trouble.

Just do a clean install and move the user files/install all apps again.

Reactions: Soba

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Problem solved. Everything working fine. Thanks tsialex especially. Without your help I would not have been able to fix the issue. A nod to all others who commented as well. It was all helpful. I guess the moral of the story is don't call Apple Care to deal with issues concerning upgrading 5,1s. It's not their area at all.

As for Time Machine, there is a function where you can exclude applications, including Patch Updater, which was the offending program. Turns out I didn't even meed to use the backup I created, since the clean install did not delete my data/programs, etc. Now that everything is working, I just deleted Patch Updater from the system altogether, and nothing was effected.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Problem solved. Everything working fine. Thanks tsialex especially. Without your help I would not have been able to fix the issue. A nod to all others who commented as well. It was all helpful. I guess the moral of the story is don't call Apple Care to deal with issues concerning upgrading 5,1s. It's not their area at all.

As for Time Machine, there is a function where you can exclude applications, including Patch Updater, which was the offending program. Turns out I didn't even meed to use the backup I created, since the clean install did not delete my data/programs, etc. Now that everything is working, I just deleted Patch Updater from the system altogether, and nothing was effected.

If your data and programs were still on the disk without importing from Time Machine, then you did not perform a clean install. To do a clean install, you must erase the destination drive using Disk Utility, then install.

Also, regarding Applecare: If what you have is a 2009 MacPro4,1 that was crossflashed to 5,1 then Applecare would never be in a position to help you because this is not an officially supported configuration. It is a hack/workaround created by the Mac Pro enthusiast community online (not by Apple) to upgrade to the latest Mac Pro 5,1 BootROM on unsupported 2009 Mac Pro hardware. It is not possible to upgrade a 2009 4,1 to the 5,1 BootROM with Apple-supplied tools; it would have required downloading a special tool from other sources online. Perhaps this is what you actually did, but it's not clear.

I suspect that you actually have a 2010 MacPro5,1 and never had a 2009 4,1 that was crossflashed to 5,1 unless perhaps you purchased it secondhand from someone who did this previously. This confusion over what model you have is what led you to use a patched install and might have confused the people at Applecare (though the classic Mac Pro was last sold in 2013, so I doubt Applecare would help with it in any case). Nailing this down will probably save you time and trouble in the future.

I suggest going to https://checkcoverage.apple.com and entering your system serial number there. It will then show you what model you have (2009 vs. 2010).

Edit: I completely misread your screenshot. You do have a crossflashed 2009 4,1 -> 5,1. Once again, Alex saves the day!

Regardless, I'm glad it seems to be working for you currently, but without a clean install, you might not be out of the woods.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If your data and programs were still on the disk without importing from Time Machine, then you did not perform a clean install. To do a clean install, you must erase the destination drive using Disk Utility, then install.

Also, regarding Applecare: If what you have is a 2009 MacPro4,1 that was crossflashed to 5,1 then Applecare would never be in a position to help you because this is not an officially supported configuration. It is a hack/workaround created by the Mac Pro enthusiast community online (not by Apple) to upgrade to the latest Mac Pro 5,1 BootROM on unsupported 2009 Mac Pro hardware. It is not possible to upgrade a 2009 4,1 to the 5,1 BootROM with Apple-supplied tools; it would have required downloading a special tool from other sources online. Perhaps this is what you actually did, but it's not clear.

I suspect that you actually have a 2010 MacPro5,1 and never had a 2009 4,1 that was crossflashed to 5,1 unless perhaps you purchased it secondhand from someone who did this previously. This confusion over what model you have is what led you to use a patched install and might have confused the people at Applecare (though the classic Mac Pro was last sold in 2013, so I doubt Applecare would help with it in any case). Nailing this down will probably save you time and trouble in the future.

I suggest going to https://checkcoverage.apple.com and entering your system serial number there. It will then show you what model you have (2009 vs. 2010).

Regardless, I'm glad it seems to be working for you currently, but without a clean install, you might not be out of the woods.
The screenshot from post #8 clearly show SMC 1.39f5, so it's a cross flashed early-2009.

This is a problem since MacEFIROM tool only upgrade some of the BootROM image components to the MP5,1 versions and the MP4,1 NVRAM volume is now extremely susceptible of corruption when running modern macOS releases, read ore here #4,805.

Anyway, long story short, a BootROM reconstruction will correct everything about it

Reactions: Soba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.