Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idea3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Hi
I am trying to use my webcam on the EMac.
We have three users on the system OSX 10.3.5
On one of the users, where the software was installed, the camera works using IChat, but when I log out and try it on another I get this message error (in IChat):

NS Invalid Argument Exception:
NS Concrete Mutable Attributed String add Attribute
value:range::nil value

Have no idea what it means. Anybody can give me a hand with this?

Also,
Can I use my web cam with some other software other than IChat?

Thanx for any help.

idea3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
thanx for responding...
the camera I use is iSight.
Software used is iChat

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I tried your scenario on my system (OS 10.3.6, iChat AV v2.1, iSight) and it worked fine. In fact, even if I don't log myself off before switching to another user, the 'new' user could use the camera.

It could be that there is a problem in OS 10.3.5 that I don't see in 10.3.6 but something you wrote puzzles me a bit. You said
On one of the users, where the software was installed, the camera works using IChat, but when I log out and try it on another ...
I thought iChat AV was installed as part of the OS already, making another 'installation' unnecessary. Did you in fact try to do another installation of iChat AV? If so, what version of iChat is it? (I have 2.1)

On your other question, yes, iSight should work just fine with other programs.

idea3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Yes, you are right. The software is automatically installed and I haven't installed anything new. (I wasn't clear about it). Still on one user it works fine, on another I got this message. The version of iChat I have is same as yours - 2.1.
I have to play with it to figure out why I can't get it to work.

What other programs are there I can use the camera with?
If I want to chat with people who use PC, I have to use some other software, I assume.

thanx again

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
that is extremely unusual. you might try uninstalling iChat and dling a new copy from apple then reinstalling it.

as for chatting with windows users iChat works fine. as long as the windows user is working with the latest version of AIM and has a web cam as well. i have not had any troble with that configuration, but i have not tried chatting with any windows user using anything aside from AIM so i dont know if there are other programs that work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.