Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
After horrible customer service from my current web host for a major issue, I find myself in the market for a new web host.

I was curious if there were any decent ones that could be recommended, or ones I should completely avoid?

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
It’s currently hosting a Wordpress blog, but I’m recoding my site into a custom CMS to have more control over what I will have on my site and its appearance.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
After horrible customer service from my current web host for a major issue, I find myself in the market for a new web host.

I was curious if there were any decent ones that could be recommended, or ones I should completely avoid?
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424725,00.asp
Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.32.12 PM.png

I have used most of these in the last couple of years for low priority sites and have had happy customers.

Reactions: gniltaws

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Since no one else has, here's my referral code for Dreamhost (who I've used for several clients with no complaints):
https://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?115079

I have an account with MediaTemple for my personal and client sites, it's not as cheap as others (about 20 bucks a month) but great uptime and support.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I have used MediaTemple for many years and still recommend them. Although the service quality has dropped a bit since they were acquired by GoDaddy.

I use Pair for clients with more limited needs (single website without excessive traffic). It's my go-to budget host.

I avoid GoDaddy and any EIG (Endurance International Group) hosts like the plague. Also, anyone promising "unlimited" anything often cannot deliver.

Reactions: SigEp265

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I jumped around from shared hosting providers for 10 years or so and wound up on a Linode VPS. I was tired of arguing with Bluehost about server performance.

Fillie

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008

I recently switched to Veerotech after terrible experiences and support from a number of different hosts, including Bluehost. I've been quite happy with Veerotech for a number of reasons:
Fast support
Monthly billing (I hate paying for a full year upfront when I do not know if they are a quality host)
They have not (yet) tried to sell my anything (Bluehost was HORRIBLE for this! Everytime I signed into cPanel, there was so many ads and deals thrown in my face).

The only downside is that the micro package only allows you to host a single domain. You have to upgrade to the next tier to have unlimited domains. Its still quite affordable, but would be nice to be able to host a few more domains on the micro package.

Anyways, been very happy with them and available to speak with others about my experience. They are also listed as a recommended webhost in /r/webhosting.

If you wish to sign up to try them out, here is my affiliate link: https://affiliates.veerotech.net/clickthru.php?id=360.

Would anyone like to chat further?

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I am using AWS/Route53. It's amazing the amount of tools you get access to in the AWS dashboard.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I am not sure if this is allowed, but I do sales for a Smaller Canadian webhost: Websavers.
My affiliate link: https://clients.websavers.ca/whmcs/aff.php?aff=96

Pricing is ideal if you are american and can take advantage of no taxes, and better exchange rate :) USD > CAD.
No phone support but servers are not overloaded, and very prompt ticket/email support.

Just giving another option. I've hosted with them for about 10 years before taking on a part time sales role after referring a ton of people through the affiliate program.

-William

Do they support WordPress?

bobbydaz

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
UK
For THE best customer support go with Siteground. Good value WordPress hosting and great support. Just read their online customer reviews says it all.

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
New York
Depends on what you're looking for. WP Engine is far and away the top web hosting company for individual WordPress websites. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, SiteGround is also great. I recommend SiteGround to people a lot and get almost unanimously positive responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.