Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Hello MR forums,

Hope you're all keeping in good spirits. Apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong place, wasn't really sure where to put it.

I recently had gigabit Internet fitted (1000/1000) and I'm looking to use the most of my upload speed. I was planning to use my computer as a 24/7 seedbox/games server, but a lot of the torrents don't hook up at full upload speed, despite port forwarding and checking all the settings. ISP have confirmed they don't throttle or block incoming/outgoing connections, so it's just likely a limitation of the tracker or torrent client.

As such, I was looking to give back to the community in some way or another. Network usage is rarely hitting 1%. Is there any good I can do? Any FTP sites I can sign up for, or sign up for community webseeding or anything like that? Basically it's just a waste of money if I'm not using the upload speed to its full potential.

Anything people can suggest would be perfect - I know folding mainly uses GPU/CPU, so is there anything similar (do good for the community) that is network heavy instead?

Best wishes. :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
There was once storage@home but I think it never really took off the ground after pilot.

If you want to keep your upstream busy just increase the number of folding rigs :p
Else I have no idea, but also would be carefully that others not abuse your system for illegal stuff.
[doublepost=1458568833][/doublepost]On a second thought: maybe you become a speednet host.

http://www.ookla.com/host

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
There was once storage@home but I think it never really took off the ground after pilot.

If you want to keep your upstream busy just increase the number of folding rigs :p
Else I have no idea, but also would be carefully that others not abuse your system for illegal stuff.

Ah yeah, folding would destroy my machine though - poor girl's an old Core2Quad/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/gigabit Ethernet, and though she's a real workhorse, she just doesn't have the grunt to fold away.

Runs game servers like a beauty though, just wanted to make more of my bandwidth as seeding Linux distros barely hooks up to any peers. :-(
[doublepost=1458569486][/doublepost]
On a second thought: maybe you become a speednet host.

http://www.ookla.com/host

Amazing idea! I'll do that now. Thank you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.