Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davebl

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Arkansas
Hello everyone,

I am making a web site for our family restaurant. I have made websites before, but never bought a domain, hosting, etc. So basically, I am clueless on what to do.

As far as I can tell, this is what I need to do:
1) Purchase the domain name
2) Purchase hosting and set it to the domain
3) Upload

Now then, here are my questions:

Where is a good place to buy our domain and what is the going price for it?

Where is a good hosting site? We need about 5 email addresses, not too much bandwith or space. We plan to do an online store eventually, but not anytime soon.

What else is there? I have never registered a domain or started a website to this level before.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

Dave

tazo

macrumors 68040
I recommend Joker.com, 11.00 and I have had no problems purchasing two domains from them.

For hosting I recommend crisishost.com, which will give you an excellent deal at 100mbs/2gbs of bandwith for a mere 2.00/month! Much less than other hosts! I have two websites hosted with them and have nothing but nice things to say about them! You can even try them out without paying for a whole 2 weeks! To ensure that you'll like their service.

:D :D

Punboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2003
Seattle, WA
I recommend UpNames.com or Hostway.com

They are both $8 and I've had no problems with either of them (having used both).

As far as hosting, use mine :-D I'm cheap, reliable, and dedicated to making your webmaster experience the best :-D

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
do you anticipate needing much in the way of bandwidth or disk space? what about languages? if yr keeping the site under 20 megs and don't expect more than 1gb traffic/month, look into Doteasy Free hosting.

i use their upgraded package, which is pretty reasonably priced at around $8.00/mo. the only thing they get you with is their domain registration. they charge too much for it.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I recommend godaddy.com for the domain and crisishost.com for the hosting. Crisishost sounds too good to be true, but believe me, its quality. Godaddy is dirt cheap and has won many awards.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Phatpat
I recommend godaddy.com for the domain and crisishost.com for the hosting. Crisishost sounds too good to be true, but believe me, its quality. Godaddy is dirt cheap and has won many awards.

crisishost.com for sure! I have 3 websites hosted with em and i couldnt be happier :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.