Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What would be the best way if one wants to create a website that will work not only design wise but also "Google wise" :-D
For example seeing Wix websites, i must say that the way they are designed certainly is cool and easy but if im not mistaking their SEO abilities are nonexistent.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What would be the best way if one wants to create a website that will work not only design wise but also "Google wise" :-D
I have no idea what you are asking here. The best guidelines are to build responsive sites with appropriate meta tags and focused, related content. Google will take care of the rest.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You are right 960design, i guess i came into this a little hasty. Well i want to begin creating websites but since there are a dozen ways of apps out there (from dreamweaver to wordpress etc.) im trying to find which is the most suitable in order to create sites that will be easy to build, look nice design wise and rank high in google searches. My knowledge in html or css is limited, so i dont know what my options are.

Now that you mention that Google takes care of the rest, are Wix created sites appropriate for high ranking in Google searches?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
You are right 960design, i guess i came into this a little hasty. Well i want to begin creating websites but since there are a dozen ways of apps out there (from dreamweaver to wordpress etc.) im trying to find which is the most suitable in order to create sites that will be easy to build, look nice design wise and rank high in google searches. My knowledge in html or css is limited, so i dont know what my options are.

Now that you mention that Google takes care of the rest, are Wix created sites appropriate for high ranking in Google searches?
If you are just starting out, I would recommend using a free IDE like Atom and Wordpress or any content management system. WP sites are generally meta tagged up properly and free or very inexpensive responsive themes are easy to find. Be sure to look at as much of the code as you can tolerate to begin learning how it all works together.

Web development, especially web application development is far more complex than average web surfer appreciates. For example it takes expertise in multiple disciplines to create a simple web application. Complex web applications take teams of experts and hundreds of human hours to develop and deploy.

Good luck!

PS. Dreamweaver creates ugly code ( and teaches bad habits ), wordpress is much better on the front end with the code and not so good on the backend, although WP has been improving significantly on the backend side of things over the last couple of years.

PPS. If you just use DW for the IDE and then you will be much better off. But something like Atom has tons of plugins that are amazing and significantly increase output.

Mezzle

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Scotland
As a web developer myself, i'd recommend first of all getting comfortable with HTML and CSS. Try designing and then building something just with the very basics.

Then start looking at frameworks. Something like twitter bootstrap can be used to do a lot of the heavy lifting of regularly used components. Try building a site with bootstrap to get familiar with it.

Then the next step is to integrate the site into a CMS, like Wordpress. This is the biggest learning curve, as Wordpress is simple, yet vast. There are millions of combinations of ways to manipulate it.

I'd recommend Sublime Text as a code editor. I use Coda myself, but Sublime Text is really similar, and free. Always build from scratch when possible. Taking a pre-built theme and stripping it back ends up with messy, bloated code. Start simple, and build features in as you go along.

I've been a web dev for 17 years now, and i'm still learning new stuff every day, so it won't just happen over night!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I've been a web dev for 17 years now, and i'm still learning new stuff every day, so it won't just happen over night!
That is the absolute truth. I learn something new every single day. Makes me think back on code I wrote last week and think how lame it is. Best bet is to just start writing some code. Set aside 30 minutes a day and make it happen. Build hundreds of little modules, things. You will start to see patterns of development and all of the sudden it will all become clear, from that point on it is just refining your skills.

Xowi

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I started working in web design back in 1998 and the trend I’m seeing is thinner sites and disposable design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.