Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
So, any PAL territory PSP owners getting this when it releases?
pspgocam.jpg

To be released on 16th May 2007 across Europe and the PAL territories, Go!Cam promises to bring the creativity of film, photos and the fun of PSP together to create a camera for all ages and all occasions. With a retail price of €49.99 (£34.99), Go!Cam is yet another example of how PSP is a mobile entertainment system with no limits.

With up to two and half hours video recording time and the ability to take and store over 40,000 photos, Go!Cam seamlessly converts PSP to a portable, functional and fun camera.

Go!Cam offers a built in microphone to ensure continuous audio, the ability to change the direction of the camera lens vertically by 180 degrees and Go!Edit, an editing software package which allows users to save and edit photos, video and audio clips.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Why does it look all ol'skool aluminum? Shouldn't they have made it black like the PSP?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Yes...but then it may have looked awkward on this:
psp_gocam_03.jpg

However, I don't think it looks bad. OF course, you could always wait for the Shiny Metallic PSP, or hope Sony eventually make the camera in different colors as well.
It looks good enough to me to justify a day one purchase, I just hope it hits the states soon. Otherwise I may import. :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So, does it actually do anything? EyeToy style games wouldn't work so hot on a handheld as it isn't static. Video chat? Faces in games? ... Facial recognition? Please say it has more functionality than my mobile phones camera.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
So, does it actually do anything? EyeToy style games wouldn't work so hot on a handheld as it isn't static. Video chat? Faces in games? ... Facial recognition? Please say it has more functionality than my mobile phones camera.

Erm...

On another note, I can't believe how long this has taken to get to PAL. It had came out in Japan when I sold my PSP over 6 months ago... :eek:

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
yes....yes it does
maybe you should re-read the quotes in the first post.

Markleshark - i know, I am tempted to import this, but after waiting two years, i am trying to hold off another month or two.....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
yes....yes it does
maybe you should re-read the quotes in the first post.

Oh right, so...

With up to two and half hours video recording time and the ability to take and store over 40,000 photos, Go!Cam seamlessly converts PSP to a portable, functional and fun camera.

... it doesn't do anything better than my age old mobile phone. I at least thought it might go online and be able to have video chat or do something, you know, useful.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
:eek: so what kind of age old mobile phone do/did you own?
never seen one that can record up to 2 and a half hours of video, and came with A/V editing software. :rolleyes:
Must have been DAMN expensive!!!!!!!!

http://ameblo.jp/cshot/

Sony will give you the features you are talking about. They've already said that instead of traditional email, they are looking into video-mail. So, you should be able to record short video clips of yourself and e-mail it to someone. It may not be available immediately, and you will rightly complain(As always), while patiently waiting for all those Nintendo features they are waiting to release. Thanks again Jimmi......

Right now we don't know what it will/won't be able to do overall. But we can speculate.
We only know what has been posted, but you can expect most (if not all) of these features and then some, to be available soon.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
:eek: so what kind of age old mobile phone do/did you own?
never seen one that can record up to 2 and a half hours of video, and came with A/V editing software. :rolleyes:
Must have been DAMN expensive!!!!!!!!
1) Who wants to edit on the PSP? Also u have is a Dpad.
2) As for recording for 2.5hrs, how much memory does it have? Can I use this memory for music, games etc?

(I'm asummiing the 2.5Hrs has to do with on board storage, if not why even both mention how long it can record for?)

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
This really has little to do with gaming on the PSP any way you spin it. I guess it beats the GameBoy Camera though. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have never reached the limit of recording video or taking pictures on my phone. Thanks 2gb MicroSD card, thanks more when 4gb are available! It says "999 remaining" on video. Whatever time measurement that translates into. I have an hours worth of recording and it's not the faintest bit full. And I have 100 MP3's on it... and a bulging library of photographs. And I bought it from Virgin Megastores last year in the bargain bin for £70!

Still can't see the point. Video editing on a mouseless handheld at a peak of 333mhz (provided you are using a power socket, else you're at 222mhz) doesn't sound the least bit useful, efficient or enjoyable of tasks.

Coded-Dude said:
while patiently waiting for all those Nintendo features they are waiting to release. Thanks again Jimmi......
I'm actually patiently waiting to see the reason why you are here. No offence, but you only post about Sony products (even I post nice about PS1, Sega, Microsoft), you seem to be restricted to the Console Games forum, do you even have a Mac? I'm overly curious to why you are here and not on (or stay on) a forum that primarily deals with what you want - to wax lyrical Sony?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
yeah......because last year is ancient jimmi :rolleyes:
how much was that MicroSD? another 50GBP?

Would you mind posting specs please(of this age old phone).

You can't see the point.....wow, whats your point? That we should just not talk about it, dismiss it, and go back to bashing every Sony product with little to no resistance? Wondering why you post in here as well mate.

I post about other products(positive and negative), I just usually create more Sony products threads. As most threads seem to be Xbox/Ninty specific.
But as you very well may know, there are Sony users here too.
Though it seems there are certain users who are adamant about dismissing each and EVERY one(sony products/threads). :rolleyes:

I post on a few forums; all have some relative news/info that draws my curiosity.

But again, thanks for more off-topic thread derailing with underlying accusations of fanboyism. You really know how to make other users(especially those with differing views) welcome. ;)

Zap2, the time limit is relative to your Memory Stick Size.
Some of those PSP vids look pretty clever. Btu its not like you can't edit the vids on you Mac/PC as well.
Sony just decided to give the end user portable software(if you only have a PC, and not a laptop)

I think they mention the storage availability because the camera could previously only record 15 minutes at a time.
If I understand it correctly this is an upgrade to that feature.

True, there are not currently any PSP Go!Cam games, but thats not to say they wont come out........the thing does flip 180degrees for facial pics/vids.
But to assume there won't be any is rather silly IMHO

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The phone? A Motorola ROKR. Price of an SD card? Lordy! Is that how much you pay for MicroSD cards? I bought a 2gb for my M3 Lite for £5 from my local computer market, similar prices can be had on eBay. At the time the SD card was free with my phone, so shrugs to the price. £70, and that was with £50 airtime. :D I was on the bus once with some kids who were splicing together some footage they had shot (they were making something for Youtube apparently) all on their phone. And this was a good year ago too.

Me taking it off topic? *ahem* what? I asked "what did it do that my phone cant", a viable question when you're talking about a portable camera. to which you went on about...

while patiently waiting for all those Nintendo features they are waiting to release.

So please stop going off topic about Nintendo when I merely enquired about what this camera can do.

*predicts C-D won't be able to stop arguing so I'll take my bow and leave the GB.. PSP cam thread*

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Um lets see they are cameras....they are supposed to "do" the same thing. (photos/video)
0.3 MegaPixel....? yeah its better than your camera. continue to dismiss this one for whatever reasons you deem necessary.

PSP = 1.31 MP, and is gettign great reviews for its class(sub 2MP)

The 2GB stick was premiered by SanDisk and was originally $99(about 50GBP)
That was July last year......

Considering the device that this camera is an accessory to(PSP), one could easily speculate that it has far more potential than your sub-par cell phone camera.
But that would cast this Sony product under a "useful" light......wouldn't want people considering this as a purchase when they can get a crappy cell phone camera.

*predicts C-D won't be able to stop arguing so I'll take my bow and leave the GB.. PSP cam thread*
So, does it actually do anything?
If that is not the definition of baiting....I don't know what is Jimmi.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
yeah......because last year is ancient jimmi :rolleyes:
how much was that MicroSD? another 50GBP?

Would you mind posting specs please(of this age old phone).

You can't see the point.....wow, whats your point? That we should just not talk about it, dismiss it, and go back to bashing every Sony product with little to no resistance? Wondering why you post in here as well mate.

I post about other products(positive and negative), I just usually create more Sony products threads. As most threads seem to be Xbox/Ninty specific.
But as you very well may know, there are Sony users here too.
Though it seems there are certain users who are adamant about dismissing each and EVERY one(sony products/threads). :rolleyes:

I post on a few forums; all have some relative news/info that draws my curiosity.

But again, thanks for more off-topic thread derailing with underlying accusations of fanboyism. You really know how to make other users(especially those with differing views) welcome. ;)

Zap2, the time limit is relative to your Memory Stick Size.
Some of those PSP vids look pretty clever. Btu its not like you can't edit the vids on you Mac/PC as well.
Sony just decided to give the end user portable software(if you only have a PC, and not a laptop)

I think they mention the storage availability because the camera could previously only record 15 minutes at a time.
If I understand it correctly this is an upgrade to that feature.

True, there are not currently any PSP Go!Cam games, but thats not to say they wont come out........the thing does flip 180degrees for facial pics/vids.
But to assume there won't be any is rather silly IMHO

So your still going to need a HUGE memory card? Wow...if I really wanted to use the PSP for all the stuff Sony says I could, I'd need a HUGE memory card. Far bigger then anything they make...and will for a long time.

As for recording time, the time limit is all software? Sony put a limited on it for 2.5 hours? Why is that a feature? Let me record vidoe for as long as I want, and can with my memory card

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I am pretty sure that number is based on the 4GB MSPD. With a little more patience we will more than likely see the 16/32GB models this year.
Although the costs are going to be extremely high for the first year. (AS is the trend)

What would be nice is Sony allowing external drive hook-up via USB mini allowing for unlimited storage.
Althogh that woudl somewhat inhibit the products overall portability.
(unless you have a very small external HDD)

Go!Edit software

Go!Edit editing software, bundled free with Go!Cam allows you to transform your PSP into a portable editing suite, letting you edit on the move. With the ability to enhance movies and photos with sounds and graphical effects, Go!Edit provides everything to make a mini masterpiece. Go!Edit also allows the option to upload creations onto the internet directly from the PSP, meaning that nothing need stand in your way to share your masterpiece with the world.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
hm my sisters mobile has a 2mp camera and yeah it's from sony
and she can send her videos and pictures from everywhere which with the psp you can't
and too have it always with you it's simply too big

and you wan't to do cutting on that thing ? believe me you are going to that... exactly once

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
and what about those PSP owners without camera cell phones that cost just as much if not more than PSP......?
Guess they should just go out and buy camera cell phones like you guys/girls, becasue this product is useless.

This is a good camera for those PSP owners who don't already have a camera or are otherwise interested in portable editing software.

I'm not trying to argue that there aren't better camera phones out htere, but they won't be able to keep with with this(feature for feature)
once the PSP gets a few more upgrades and devs decide to use it in game(among other things). The possibilities are very expansive!

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
and what about those PSP owners without camera cell phones that cost just as much if not more than PSP......?

it did cost my sister 1 euro + 18 month contract (or was it 24 ?)
and she is paying 5 euro per month for the contract and 5 cents in all networks and 1000 free short messages per month
hardly surprising that every 2nd person i know now owns the sony erricson 750i

and that's not even the cheapest.. another provider just came up with a 4 euro/month + 4 cents per minute in all networks deal for a contract

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.