Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Welcome to this weeks contest, asking you for a picture of or about a wave:

I wanted to make this round quite open, so noun, verb or any other type of wave(s) works, use whatever you please.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. Apparently as emojis are challenging, their use should also include interpretation.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends 11:59pm GMT on 25th of October.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
receiving a friendly wave...

IMGP0078.jpg

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Hello and thanks to all who participated. I don't have any real expertise in photography, I just use my phone to take snaps relying mostly on instinct. So I'm going to judge these entries on the pleasure or strength of feeling they gave me, hope you won't mind.

@ovbacon It was a relief when your photo dropped because a few days had passed without any entries and I was wondering what to do if nobody entered. Even without that, seeing this guys lovely, happy, smiling face and wave was so pleasurable and I enjoyed the ride in what I presume is San Fran.

@oblomow Lovely picture and nice thoughts of being in the Outer Hebrides so far from everywhere. The view of the back of a ferry is something I've seen so many times, so that brought back happy memories too.

@mollyc Your entry is the most intriguing. I don't really know what it is or is supposed to be, perhaps a back garden ? I've seen so many beautiful pictures taken by you ❤️ but unfortunately this one doesn't do much for me I'm very sorry to say. A description would've probably helped me. Please blame my lack of imagination, like I did.

@_timo_redux_ This is the instant WOW picture. Everything just seems to fit just perfectly as if by magic. The reflection on the floor is added special sauce. Even if you get set to take a picture like this, you need the action and timing to get it this right.

@someoldguy Another beautiful picture that instantly takes me to the rugged coast with all the senses and emotions fully awakened. The point of spray reaching up towards the sky before inevitably falling back and merging into the ocean reminds me of somethings...

So in the end I think first place was easy for me to choose but second and third were so hard to decide, imvho:

Third: @someoldguy
Second: @ovbacon
First: @_timo_redux_

peace + love

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
@mollyc Your entry is the most intriguing. I don't really know what it is or is supposed to be, perhaps a back garden ? I've seen so many beautiful pictures taken by you ❤️ but unfortunately this one doesn't do much for me I'm very sorry to say. A description would've probably helped me. Please blame my lack of imagination, like I did.
It's totally fine! 🙂 That was an Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) image and it's not something I do often and not everyone likes them. I do it as sort of a boredom buster sometimes just to get something different. I hold the camera at about waist level, and using a slow shutter speed walk forward. The bright patch top/mid left is a tree catching the light, and the lower brown area is a path and a few railroad ties as a short retaining wall. I thought the whole photo arched and waved in an abstract way, but I understand not everyone sees or likes abstract stuff. I just threw in a photo for the numbers and didn't expect anything out of it.

Congrats to the podium holders! Looking forward to @_timo_redux_'s next challenge.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
@_timo_redux_ This is the instant WOW picture. Everything just seems to fit just perfectly as if by magic. The reflection on the floor is added special sauce. Even if you get set to take a picture like this, you need the action and timing to get it this right.

Thanks for your reactions with my photo, and everyone else's. Mine is an old favorite, which I stumbled on while looking for an ocean-wave photo I like, with the idea that I'd also for another statute-wave photo which I've many times tried to capture. FWIW I've never noticed the reflection in the floor ... and yes, I love it too (now that I see it.)

I really liked your topic; would love to see it repeated sometime soon as it has so many possibilities.

New contest up: Weekly Photo Contest | 26 October – 2 November | out of place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.