Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
This week's contest asks you for a nautical picture: on a boat, on a ship, rowing, seaside, lakeside, on the river.

The theme is a jumping off point. This isn't a contest to document, e.g., the "best" boat; instead, I'm looking for a great image in the spirit of this open-ended theme.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. Apparently as emojis are challenging, their use should also include interpretation.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends 11:59pm CDT (UTC -5) on July 9, 2023.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Roll _3_YashicaMat124_2023_Image_01.jpg

boats on film

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Hit the beach or lake, search your archives, type "boat" or "ship" into Photos.app and see what turns up, or look around at home! Maybe an old book cover might even be inspiration:

Scruffy.png

macguru212

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2009
AZ/NYC/Tokyo
T002.jpg

Worst picture in the world (VHS screen capture), but many years ago I journeyed on this fine vessel down the Hudson River from Kingston NY to Huntington Long Island on a 14 hour adventure. My Dad paid $200 for the boat and we spent the spring restoring it. Boat is a '66 Trojan something or another.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
@Strider64

This is a fun image: the odd expression of the male rower (yawning from an early morning departure?), the two very different fishing lines, but also the way the boat feels suspended in the picture -- that is, the foreground and background of the lake (to be more precise, the reflections in the lake) have merged into a kind of continuous zone. I suppose it might be compared to a bad photoshop job; but as it's not, the 2 1/2-D effect is intriguing.

@mollyc

I like the composition where the multiple boats merge in to a kind of landscape. It's a jumble, but we can tell it's dense from popularity and affluence, not an after-disaster pile-up. I feel the giant amount of sky is an odd framing choice, and the kind of yellowish film discoloring is not helping the picture.

@ovbacon

A porthole view of more boats in the harbor. The distant harbor is rendered here a little toy-like; it's hard to discern its features. In turn this makes for me the window frame more interesting, but alas its fuzzy from being out of focus, which isn't a problem except that my eye wants to explore that frame.

@OldMacs4Me

Big boat, little boats, we're seeing a collection of pleasure craft; old-fashion efforts vs. newer speedboats. Intriguing location with the suggestion of some substantial elevation just out of the frame to the right. Which brings me to: I'm a little lost in this framing, though; I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be interested in most.

@Fravin

The classic seaside/lakeside at dusk, done well. Love the colors, love the open-boats, open-sky parallelism.

@someoldguy

Stuff piled up on land, versus one of those tugboats that itself seems like a top-heavy pile. Busy busy seaside. I think it helps that the picture is rendered black and white, so that one's eye goes to checking out the crashing patterns everywhere.

@macguru212

Well, not terrible, but ... challenged? The sloped horizon is perhaps excused by this being a still from a video, where presumable the operator was steading the camera on a tippy boat. Titanic, really? Whatever the name, I'll bet that was an interesting journey.

@JAWJr

A sailor braced and working, a passenger lounging, the colors, the interesting sky with just a hint of something on the horizon; I can feel the sea and wind in this picture.

@Janichsan

Picturesque and calming; looks like a peaceful summer day. I wish the other boat weren't obscured by the tree branches, or had been left out.

@oblomow

A sturdy-looking rowboat pulled ashore at dusk, on a very calm night. Magical colors. Serene. Clichéd perhaps but beautiful notwithstanding.

Thanks to everyone for entering -- a true variety here, and I imagine if I looked at this tomorrow I'd come up with a different podium.

3rd @Strider64
2nd @Fravin
1st @JAWJr

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
@Strider64

This is a fun image: the odd expression of the male rower (yawning from an early morning departure?), the two very different fishing lines, but also the way the boat feels suspended in the picture -- that is, the foreground and background of the lake (to be more precise, the reflections in the lake) have merged into a kind of continuous zone. I suppose it might be compared to a bad photoshop job; but as it's not, the 2 1/2-D effect is intriguing.

@mollyc

I like the composition where the multiple boats merge in to a kind of landscape. It's a jumble, but we can tell it's dense from popularity and affluence, not an after-disaster pile-up. I feel the giant amount of sky is an odd framing choice, and the kind of yellowish film discoloring is not helping the picture.

@ovbacon

A porthole view of more boats in the harbor. The distant harbor is rendered here a little toy-like; it's hard to discern its features. In turn this makes for me the window frame more interesting, but alas its fuzzy from being out of focus, which isn't a problem except that my eye wants to explore that frame.

@OldMacs4Me

Big boat, little boats, we're seeing a collection of pleasure craft; old-fashion efforts vs. newer speedboats. Intriguing location with the suggestion of some substantial elevation just out of the frame to the right. Which brings me to: I'm a little lost in this framing, though; I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be interested in most.

@Fravin

The classic seaside/lakeside at dusk, done well. Love the colors, love the open-boats, open-sky parallelism.

@someoldguy

Stuff piled up on land, versus one of those tugboats that itself seems like a top-heavy pile. Busy busy seaside. I think it helps that the picture is rendered black and white, so that one's eye goes to checking out the crashing patterns everywhere.

@macguru212

Well, not terrible, but ... challenged? The sloped horizon is perhaps excused by this being a still from a video, where presumable the operator was steading the camera on a tippy boat. Titanic, really? Whatever the name, I'll bet that was an interesting journey.

@JAWJr

A sailor braced and working, a passenger lounging, the colors, the interesting sky with just a hint of something on the horizon; I can feel the sea and wind in this picture.

@Janichsan

Picturesque and calming; looks like a peaceful summer day. I wish the other boat weren't obscured by the tree branches, or had been left out.

@oblomow

A sturdy-looking rowboat pulled ashore at dusk, on a very calm night. Magical colors. Serene. Clichéd perhaps but beautiful notwithstanding.

Thanks to everyone for entering -- a true variety here, and I imagine if I looked at this tomorrow I'd come up with a different podium.

3rd @Strider64
2nd @Fravin
1st @JAWJr
Thank you @_timo_redux_ for the honour, really great and varied photos this week!

I’ll have a new contest up tomorrow 👍🏼

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
This was a fun theme.

I used my Yashica Mat for this with Kodak Gold 200 film, so that weird film color is just a light leak of some sort (I had trouble loading the roll, and this was at the beginning of the roll, so user error). I was standing on a drawbridge when I took this (which was drawn to let some larger boats through) so my composition options were limited. 🙂

Reactions: _timo_redux_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.