Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatigorsky

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
@piatigorsky – I certainly didn’t expect a B&W image in a contest with a Floral theme . When I first saw this I thought that this might be nice to see in color ; but on second (and third) thought ,it more than works in B&W . Great detail , particularly considering it’s a film scan . Is the flower some sort of thistle?
Indeed, when I was heading out for the hike, I was debating whether or not to load my camera with my last remaining roll of color film. In the end I decided not to, since that last remaining roll was a Harman Phoenix, which I frankly don't like (see my posts in the "Can we talk about film" thread). I'm glad I chose Ilford XP2 since, as you've seen, it can really capture a lot of fine detail, with very low grain to boot. I have a lot of b&w flower photos actually, and I've grown to appreciate the lack of color, since it sort of forces you to notice other details such as contrast, texture, and the interplay of light and shadow, especially when using a natively b&w medium like film, rather than a b&w conversion of a color digital image. Unfortunately I really have no knowledge of nature, so I can't tell what that particular flower was—I actually had to google to be certain that it was a butterfly landing on the flower, otherwise I could have sworn it was an unladen swallow (don't know if it's African or European) carrying two coconut shells!

Reactions: Chuckeee

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Indeed, when I was heading out for the hike, I was debating whether or not to load my camera with my last remaining roll of color film. In the end I decided not to, since that last remaining roll was a Harman Phoenix, which I frankly don't like (see my posts in the "Can we talk about film" thread). I'm glad I chose Ilford XP2 since, as you've seen, it can really capture a lot of fine detail, with very low grain to boot. I have a lot of b&w flower photos actually, and I've grown to appreciate the lack of color, since it sort of forces you to notice other details such as contrast, texture, and the interplay of light and shadow, especially when using a natively b&w medium like film, rather than a b&w conversion of a color digital image. Unfortunately I really have no knowledge of nature, so I can't tell what that particular flower was—I actually had to google to be certain that it was a butterfly landing on the flower, otherwise I could have sworn it was an unladen swallow (don't know if it's African or European) carrying two coconut shells!
it looks like a thistle 🙂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.