Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The subject of this week's contest is Mechanisms & Machines

So much for nature, let’s get dirty and mechanical.
Machines or just parts
Working or not,
New, in use or just junk
Fully assembled, partially disassembled or just a pile of pieces

Clock Parts.jpeg

As always, standard rules apply:
The photographs must be your own work.

You may only submit one photo per contest.

No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.

This contest runs for about a week, starting now

At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Contest ends May 1st at 11AM Pacific Time

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The competition is officially closed. This appeared to be a popular topic with many intriguing entries . I will post the judging and results later today.

Thank you all for your entries

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
This appears to have been a popular topic with many interesting and applicable submissions

@madmin A very timely submission. I just read about this in the news. For those that missed it that the moulin Rouge in Paris removed the sails from the windmill that was a well known feature of their establishment. This just happened last week mysteriously with no warning. This is a picture reminder of their windmill

@C0ncreteBl0nde An excellent composition of what appears to be an older floor jack and various other components the garage. Great sharp image, with just the right amount of color really brings forth the gritty look of well used mechanical pieces

@piatigorsky yes a subway is clearly mechanical. A very good black-and-white photo showing an elevated train in motion through an urban environment. Tells a clear story of a train moving through a living city

@Q-Dog excellent black-and-white photo that it showed us to the heart of training enthusiast. Not just any steam locomotive, but the legendary big boy.

@georgeinnj A wonderful close-up perspective view, which is obviously from a well used jet engine. Really appreciate that you can see the grit on the blades and the tads color along the shaft. And with the ringings of blades, just moving into the distance, seeming to go on almost forever

@oblomow This is a fun photo that almost appears to be a simple chair against the wall in an old abandoned factory, and at the same time appears to be a face looking out at you from a factory of the past

@_timo_redux_ this one seems to really tell a story of cranes and demolition. Just a touch of yellow from the crane, but a feeling of do it and rust from the pile of debris in the background

@Janichsan You can just feel getting dirty in this image of some sort of steam mechanism with knobs and lots of steel and rivets fits into the theme of this topic

@someoldguy can’t get more mechanical, then having gears and pulleys and a red timing chain From the inner guts of a transmission of some sort.

@squawk7000 I really enjoyed the use of color this image. Several Engines just set up on stands outside green forest with all the engine parts painted bright different colors. Lots to look at and is an image that deserves detailed inspection and examination really enjoyed it.

@mtbdudex A wonderful start black-and-white image an old bomber that still has a tail gunner in the rear. Good contrast between the sofa and the plane and the clouds in the sky in the background.

Many great entries that clearly addressed the topic of mechanisms and machines. I had to think long and hard on this one and it was a difficult choice with many very wonderful entries.

3rd place - @georgeinnj

2nd place - @C0ncreteBl0nde

1st place - @squawk7000

@squawk7000 next weeks contest is yours. Congratulations

And thanks to all of the other great submissions

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
Thanks @Chuckeee

great entries again this week.

My photo was taken in Gran Canaria, in an out of the way area of Playa del Ingles. The local waterworks decided to paint up and arrange these old machines, generators and tools outside the workshop. Not may tourists know they are there, although it is only few 100 yards away for the promenade. The problem is the sun is from the other side of a high wall.

Next weeks challenge is posted Abandoned Engineering | May 2 - May 9

Reactions: madmin and Chuckeee

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Lots of good entries this week ! My entry is of the inside of the headstock of my early 1950's Atlas 618 metal lathe . It was a 'garage find' with a bunch of other machinery I acquired around 20 years back when a neighbor moved . Got lucky as it also came with the change gears . Pulled it apart , cleaned off the rust , new paint , new bearings , Fenner belt ; and it's good to go .

Reactions: georgeinnj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.