Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
With the Labour Day weekend on the horizon, this weeks overtime topic is Men At Work. That said feel free to show Women, Kids, Horses, Dogs or anything else at work. The title is very inclusive even if too concise to reflect every possible combination or permutation.

Because things have been very slow recently I am extending this one to cover the Labour Day weekend. Contest ends September 5, 2023 at 10:00PM Mountain Daylight Time.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
_MG_1584.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Thanks to the handful that took the time to enter and congratulations to everyone for making this a tough one to judge.

@Strider64 I like the way the subject is nicely isolated from the background, and it is right on topic.

@ovbacon Trying to be fair but Solar panels are a bit of a trigger for me. Good picture under wicked lighting conditions. You definitely are on topic, but the men are off to the edge, making the panels the main subject. This is just personal preference but I would have preferred either having the shadows completely black, making more of a silhouette effect, or some selective lightening of the shadow area to reveal more detail. Of course it may just be that your monitor is a bit brighter or darker than mine, so take my comments with however much salt is required.

@Hughmac I said there was a lot of latitude and I love black labs. Did he find that which he sought?

@Apple_Glen_UK Kids at work being kids as well as the old man himself.

@_timo_redux_ Another image that hit a personal trigger. I hate masks, moreover my short career as an airbrush tech showed me how absolutely useless they are. Especially outside where complete air exchanges occur hundreds or thousands times faster than indoors. Despite it being a 2020 image I note the flagman has that mask down around his chin. Despite the rant I love this image.

And the podium.
1st @Strider64
2nd @Apple_Glen_UK
3rd Is a three way tie; @Hughmac, @ovbacon, & @_timo_redux_. As I said at the start all were worthy entries and with so few entries I'm not going to insult anyone by leaving them off the podium.

Again thanks to everyone who entered.

Last edited:

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Thanks to the handful that took the time to enter and congratulations to everyone for making this a tough one to judge.

@Strider64 I like the way the subject is nicely isolated from then background, and it is right on topic.

@ovbacon Trying to be fair but Solar panels are a bit of a trigger for me. Good picture under wicked lighting conditions. You definitely are on topic, but the men are off to the edge, making the panels the main subject. This is just personal preference but I would have preferred either having the shadows completely black, making more of a silhouette effect, or some selective lightening of the shadow area to reveal more detail. Of course it may just be that your monitor is a bit brighter or darker than mine, so take my comments with however much salt is required.

@Hughmac I said there was a lot of latitude and I love black labs. Did he find that which he sought?

@Apple_Glen_UK Kids at work being kids as well as the old man himself.

@_timo_redux_ Another image that hit a personal trigger. I hate masks, moreover my short career as an airbrush tech showed me how absolutely useless they are. Especially outside where complete air exchanges occur hundreds or thousands times faster than indoors. Despite it being a 2020 image I note the flagman has that mask down around his chin. Despite the rant I love this image.

And the podium.
1st @Strider64
2nd @Apple_Glen_UK
3rd Is a three way tie; @Hughmac, @ovbacon, & @_timo_redux_. As I said at the start all were worthy entries and with so few entries I'm not going to insult anyone by leaving them off the podium.

Again thanks to everyone who entered.
Thank you! It's interesting how an impromptu photo can receive so much attention. I aimed to capture the linemen in a natural state, unaware of the camera. I plan to announce the next weekly photo contest either later today or tomorrow, once I've sorted things out and brainstormed a theme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.