Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Greetings all,

This week's theme: Sky’s the Limit

The beautiful sky is everywhere in this world. We are surrounded by it anywhere we go. As we are living this amazing precious life, we are too busy going out to work, running errands, shopping, grabbing food, walking the dogs out… it could be anything yet we forget, above us, there is a sky. So, grab your phone or camera’s out…

Let’s see everyone's wonderful shots of the sky. On a clear day, it appears blue. The deepness of the blue increases as we look toward the horizon, and up to the point above us. However, the sky can be so many different things to us: it can be big, beautiful, and simply blue, or gray, partly cloudy, thunder, stormy and rainy. It can also be full of stars or full or orange and red clouds at sunset or sunrise.

During this week, anytime you tend to go out. Grab a picture of the sky and submit your entry here!!!

⭐️ Bonus Hint ⭐️
: In this contest, you are also welcome to submit different types of ☁️ clouds as the clouds partly remain in the sky. They are all part of it together which makes the sky so mysterious and limitless.

Did you know: There are over 100 types of clouds in the sky?

The contest ends on August 8th at 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time)

Thank you for submitting your entries and all your hard work in advance.

Best wishes and Good luck!!! 🍀

Please remember that these standard rules apply:
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced. In keeping with our most recent tradition, violators may be awarded first place. Henceforth this shall be known as the Molly-ing rule in honor of our friend and fellow perpetrator.
  • The photographs must be your own work.
  • This contest runs for one week. If in doubt, please check the title or description.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Last edited:

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
Stormy Sunset.
Overlooking Torrey Pines State Beach, between La Jolla and Del Mar California.

stormy sunset.jpg

Last edited:
First and foremost, thank you from bottom of my heart to all of you for submitting your entries. Let’s give a (big) round of applause to everyone. Before I begin with the selection process of the winner. I just wanted to let you know that everyone submitted spectacular photos. All of you left me speechless and I was just amazed. In my eyes all of you deserve the first place however we have rules to follow and we all have to abide by them. The decision was definitely not easy to make. With that being said, here we go...

@Snowlover: First entry! Outstanding photo!

This is definitely a frame-worthy photo. Looking at this photo makes me want to go out at night and explore (especially at the beach, perhaps take a nap). This photo definitely hit the mark when it comes to serenity, tranquility, and peace. I love the reflection of the light into the open ocean. Lastly, the clouds look amazing. It has a nice texture to it. I strongly believe the center of interest in this photo is the open layout of the ocean and the open clouds with the reflection from the sky. You nailed it when it comes to exposure. Good job!

@cthompson94

Nice photo! I believe you are on a boat and the sun is setting. You can never go wrong when it comes to catching the sunset or is it the sunrise? The attribute, colors, and background are stunning. I love the fact that the sunset is reflecting the open ocean and the boat at the same time. It seems like it was a very cold night. Was it? Great job capturing this photo.

@tizeye

I love this photo because it proves exactly what you said, “Sky’s not the limit”. This is another stunning shot and definitely not easy to take with high definition of the clouds. The clouds look amazing. I’m shocked you were able to capture this shot with such a busy sky filled with clouds. A large part of this photo is definitely the clouds with the blue sky. Excellent work!

@VampyricGentleman

When it comes to taking photography at night. You are on another level. In the background, it is mostly the sky. The sky looks overcast and almost full of clouds. The center of interest is definitely The Campanile. However, the open sky adds a nice touch. I also love the reflection of the light bulbs. Somehow you were able to capture the composition just about right. Stellar work!

@Jumpthesnark

This is another stunning photo. There is so much going on in here. I have no idea how you were able to capture this photo. The background just looks stunning. I love how the clouds are forming right in the middle. This is definitely a show-stopper from nature. It gives me the thrill vibes. When it comes to the contrast of this photo, you definitely nailed it. It’s an amazing photo. Definitely wallpaper worthy. You've mastered it!

@mollyc

Excellent photo! Frame-worthy photo. You can never go wrong with an open ocean and the sky. It definitely looks like this photo was taken by a professional photographer. Of course, I’m referring to you. I think you have inspired so many people here to take incredible photos. Including myself. Overrated! Hands down!

You nailed it when it comes to the background, contrast, composition, and background. The clouds are standing out very nicely. Oh, I also noticed there are two people walking down the dock. Caught me off guard, but definitely a nice hidden surprise. Keep up the good work!

@imac wannabe

This is a very nice shot of the jet. I’m not sure how you were able to capture this with such high definition. I believe the highlight of this photo is the jet flames that are coming out from the jet exhaust. It definitely adds a nice touch to the photo. I’m also happy you were able to capture this photo in a clear sky. It makes the jet stand out even more. Fabulous work!

@Hughmac

Stunning shot of the open sky. You nailed it when it comes to the open background, composition, and colors. The hue and saturation of the photo are on point. I’ve seen so many sunsets around the world. However, I’ve never seen a glorious sunset in a pink hue. Stupendous!!

@oblomow

Nice photo! I love the reflection of the lightning. It’s aligned very well. You nailed it when it comes to the shadows of the lights. They are very catchy. I think the model of the moon becomes a very figurative representation. Thus, making this photo one of a kind. Btw, good job with the focal point!

I’m not too sure how you captured this shot. Is this inside a museum?

@Janichsan

First-class work! This is definitely another frame-worthy photo. I love the open sky and the pattern of the clouds. This photo definitely has a cool feeling towards it. Another thing that I loved about this was the landscaping. It adds a very nice touch to the photo. The pattern and texture of the sky are on point!

@thirsty_monk

Wow! This shot is amazing. It almost looks like it’s an oil painting. The texture and the depth are on another level. This photo is all about the pattern. The pattern of the clouds is definitely eye-catching. Excellent job!

@gaswerks

I was amazed when I saw this photo. This photo is definitely one of a kind. I had to look at this photo very carefully and I realized that it looks like a 🌛 face. The clouds are shaping very nicely making a layout of the moon with a face init? You definitely nailed it when it comes to exposure, texture, pattern, shutter speed, and overall contrast. When I was thinking about what subject I should focus on last week. I think this is exactly what I was looking for. This photo is all nature’s work. It’s not something you can find on a daily basis. One of a kind and extremely rare. Outstanding job!!!

@OldMacs4Me

Nice reflection of the sky. It almost looks like it is painted however you did a good job with exposure, balance, and symmetry. An asymmetrical image, makes the clouds stand out in this image very nicely. I also love the fact this photo contains many different colors making the texture smooth. Magnificent job!

@CK Williams

Nice capture of the clouds. Good job capturing the texture of this photo. I think this photograph is all about keeping it simplistic. The shapes of the clouds look very nice thus making this photo stand. Another great definition of the texture lies in this photo. Keep up the good work!

@someoldguy

Wow! This is definitely another frame-worthy shot. You nailed it when it comes to the depth of field. The texture, pattern, and colors are just perfect. This is something I would definitely get framed in my house. I love the fact you were able to capture the clouds, mountains, open desert, and some plantations all in the same place. This one is also a spectacular photo. Excellent job!

That is all folks! Magnificent job by everyone!

The moment you have been waiting for… Since the contest subject was universal and broad more title winners are chosen.

Winners:

1st place: 🥇 @gaswerks 🥇

2nd place: 🥈 @Snowlover , 🥈 @Jumpthesnark

3rd place: 🥉 @someoldguy, 🥉 @Hughmac
, and 🥉 @thirsty_monk

Let’s give a big round of 👏 applause to 👑 @gaswerks 👑 Congratulations!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.