Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
This week's photo contest theme is Lens Flare.
Please have fun with this, Lens Flare via; sunlight, headlights, holidays lights, whatever.

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
    • Contestants: please post photo & only basic info, like location / other, the photo should speak for itself
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now. (actually 9 days )
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. Apparently as emojis are challenging, their use should also include interpretation.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends 22.00 EST time (GMT-5) on the 19th of December.
  • Above all, have fun :)
Just example of sun induced Lens Flare:
Settlers winter sunrise loop 2.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
0c1be251b3842c06ed184296528c40f7.jpg

Updated entry, because I just got the opportunity on my weekend break!

December 2023

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Literally just took this shot and posting using the onboard wifi on a British Airways flight!

Reasonably priced!

da08464b2aca75572d04191bdf6e4cd4.png

Good enough speed for casual texting and social media!

75a792abf92cb5850459f256c0925379.jpg

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Edit #3b: I am judging now Friday 12/22 7:20am - putting my thoughts down, take break, then re-visit them and post results

Edit #3a: sorry work “blew up”, I’ll be doing this Friday 12/22 am now
well I’ll have this judged by Thursday 12/21 early morning USA time, too busy today
Edit #2: it’s 8:10pm est, contest is closed. I’ll do judging within 24 hours.
Mike Rosinski
Edit: context closes in 10 minutes, it’s 5:50pm est

Contest closes today Tuesday December 19th in 11.5 hours, 6pm EST in the USA.
Thx for submissions.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Ok - again apologies for delay judging.

For me and my intent here, the flare should guide the viewers eyes thru the photo with purpose and intent, take a otherwise decent/good shoot and make it that much better, more captivating…
With that said, on to the judging:

The 7 photos in order of posting with my feedback:
1- Strider64; sun flare landscape
Truly a lovely flare of sun with ice crystals in the clouds. I strive to see whats in the foreground .. and see possibly cars in a neighborhood setting.

2-mollyc; flare thru outta focus windows
The introspective image, gives a feeling of just woken and not fully awareness, I love this.

3-_timo_redux_; flare thru Christmas tree;
Tis the season feeling, I see white background and wondering is this outdoors or in a store display perhaps, neat internal lens multi-color reflection

4-akash.nu; airplane inflight flare
The classic “red-eye I’m coming home soon to land” photo does both capture and resonate with me, as I’ve been there more than I’d like.

5-OldMacs4Me; film flare tree
The outta focus here on the tree bark is lessing the flare impact for me.
I can see how you originally composed this for the background yellow trees them being in focus.

6-madmin; building flare via street lamp
I like this …. The background building in focus becomes more interesting with the foreground lamp flare, further the green ghostly internal lens reflections above the top, what’s up with that?
It’s like a surreal scene of heaven being opened

7-oblomow;
The building is the main subject here, the subtle lens flare from the various lamps gets lost in the huge visuality of the picture.

Now for the judging;
3rd place: _timo_redux_ ; flare thru Christmas tree
2nd place: mollyc ; flare thru outta focus windows
1st place winner: madmin ; building flare via street lamp

Thank you all for submissions, Merry Christmas and a Happy 2024 New Year to all.

Last edited:

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Hi folks. Sorry, I've not been able to join you here as much lately.

Thanks @mtbdudex I'm so glad you liked this shot. I was walking home from a friends dinner party and stopped for a second to take this using the x3 telephoto of my 13P. It seemed like a nice coincidence that you announced this "lens flare" comp just a few hours later. I often use this lens and am unsure about the new x5 ones. Anyhow, it's the Sacré Coeur Basilic on Montmartre taken from rue André del Sartre in Paris.

I seem to remember around Thanksgiving there was a time extension because people weren't around as much as usual and am wondering if we should do something similar this time ? Please let me know if you have any opinions on that.

Wishing happy end of year festivities to you all !

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.

Thanks @mtbdudex I'm so glad you liked this shot. I was walking home from a friends dinner party and stopped for a second to take this using the x3 telephoto of my 13P. It seemed like a nice coincidence that you announced this "lens flare" comp just a few hours later. I often use this lens and am unsure about the new x5 ones. Anyhow, it's the Sacré Coeur Basilic on Montmartre taken from rue André del Sartre in Paris.

I seem to remember around Thanksgiving there was a time extension because people weren't around as much as usual and am wondering if we should do something similar this time ? Please let me know if you have any opinions on that.

I don't see the thread for the new contest. Am I missing something, or isn't it up yet? Posting the topic in a timely way is important to the momentum of the contest.
If you want to pass then it becomes Molly's headache. (Sorry Molly.)

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

I don't see the thread for the new contest. Am I missing something, or isn't it up yet? Posting the topic in a timely way is important to the momentum of the contest.
If you want to pass then it becomes Molly's headache. (Sorry Molly.)

Last chance for @madmin , are you going to communicate your intentions? If not, then as the last winner and judge of this contest I agree time for @mollyc to take over and establish the next weekly photo contest.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I'm guessing the holidays are a complicating factor, but if @madmin doesn't post today I'll put up a new contest tomorrow. Unless any of you want it done sooner; just let me know.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.