Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Okay folks, I have to bang this out in a few minutes, so I'll be straight to the point with it.

Show me what you learnt photographically, or mastered, or finally achieved, (or however you want to put that,) during 2018.

For me, it was finally getting long exposures to be able to incorporate animals, which I had been trying for a few years on & off, with very little success, so I wouldn't touch it again for the longest time.

What was it for you folks? Show me in a photograph & a bit of an explanation, or back-story to help clarify things for me.

Phew, just made it! Gotta run, again...

The usual rules apply:

· The photographs must be your own work.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· No commenting on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· This contest runs for a week starting now.

· At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
This gonna run for 2 weeks ,also? Or are we back to 1 week with an error of lack of deletion in the introductory post?

EDIT: Duh ... shoulda looked at the dates on top instead of reading the text ...

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
This gonna run for 2 weeks ,also? Or are we back to 1 week with an error of lack of deletion in the introductory post?

EDIT: Duh ... shoulda looked at the dates on top instead of reading the text ...
Rectified my oversight in cut’n’pasting previous text. Thanks.

Reactions: someoldguy

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Okay folks, I have to bang this out in a few minutes, so I'll be straight to the point with it.

Show me what you learnt photographically, or mastered, or finally achieved, (or however you want to put that,) during 2018.

For me, it was finally getting long exposures to be able to incorporate animals, which I had been trying for a few years on & off, with very little success, so I wouldn't touch it again for the longest time.

What was it for you folks? Show me in a photograph & a bit of an explanation, or back-story to help clarify things for me.

Phew, just made it! Gotta run, again...

The usual rules apply:

· The photographs must be your own work.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· No commenting on photos until after the judging has taken place.

· This contest runs for a week starting now.

· At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

That would be my sunrise image from the last one.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Last year I had a go with a tilt adapter and a 1970 pre-AI Nikon 50mm lens. It took some time to get the hang of it because at wide apertures it was a nightmare to get focus, but here's what I reckon is one of my best results at achieving a 'toytown' effect...

Four Elms Hill tilt
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Nikkor-H 50mm mounted on a Lensbaby Tilt Transformer, 1/3200 @ f/2, ISO 160

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
247340D7-C4B3-4BF3-8AFC-D68FAD33384C.jpeg

Now you might wonder what this picture shows that I have learned. Well actually what I learnt is that I prefer big DSLRs with mirrors and FF sensors which are heavy and clunky and not easy to bring along. About a year ago I made the decision with my head that a mirrorless camera is the way to go because it just makes sense, smaller lighter and the pictures more or less as good as from a big DSLR. After a year I found my pictures lacking and simply not as good as what I had from the years before. Somehow I shoot with this little mirrorless more like with my iPhone than with my big DSLR. It’s more used to document our lives (which is one key reason I am addicted to photography and good of course) and much less as an art form, which is another reason I am into photography. So in December I got myself a FF DSLR again together with 2 fixed focus and large aperture lenses. So far I am quite happy with the results. On purpose I let out which brand I use as to me they are all the same same but different. BTW - I keep the mirrorless as well and I will bring along the tool that I assume best for the job ahead. So that’s what I learned about photography in 2018. Let’s see what 2019 brings.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
downy.jpg

Gosh, where to begin? I learned that I prefer mirrorless, but that a viewfinder is a must. With new gear, you have to find its limits, too. My Lumix GX85 is pushing it at 3200 ISO, and RAW is definitely the way to go. Speaking of RAW, I was also fairly new to post processing in 2018. Before that, I was shooting JPG and hoping for the best. With RAW and post-processing, I’ve been able to save shots that would have been JPG trash. My picture is just one of my last shots of the year after that journey.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Wetlands Sunrise - 2500px-9.jpg
I never have been a fan of HDR due to muddiness, unrealistic color shift, and tonality to name a few. In the area that people pay me - architectural and real estate photography - while many use HDR - including myself as a last resort - my primary method is exposing for clear windows, then raising the interior light level with flash and an ambient that I blend in at low opacity to re-introduce shadows taken out by flash. Given that background, now the attached landscape on a local photo club outing. While I have significant dynamic range with a Sony A7RII - some might call enviable - I knew there was not enough to pull those shadows given the extremes of lighting. Took bracketed shots, figuring I would give HDR another try. Still not satisfied with the output from the 4 HDR capable programs I own and hesitant to buy 'latest and greatest'. Began looking at YouTube for ideas and the one that caught my attention was exposure blending - an advanced version of what I was already doing with the flash/ambient. It was essentially manual HDR, but due to the intense workflow dropped the bracketed shots to the 3 I selected from the 5 or 7 shot sequence. Initial adjustments in Lightroom, exporting as layers to Photoshop and applying masks. Standard stuff, but the big eye-opener was the ability to access ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) at the layer level and make adjustments to the source frame at each layer and reflected in the masked area.
View attachment 814524

Last edited:

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I didn't learn much about photography along the past year but I learnt that to have a camera with me whenever possible might lead to great memories.

The following pic was shot during a lunch at a seaside restaurant, I was sitting among boat crew members and each of them was telling tales about their life on a boat and this guy, Mauro is his name, was apparently very much into what another guy was telling us and I was lucky to have my little Fuji X-Pro1 and the amazing 35mm f1.4 with me and already on the table since I so much wanted to take a candid of the tale teller but he was aware of it and each time I try to take a shot he used to interrupt his speech and pose which is not what I looked forward to whilst the other listeners were too much into the tale to pay attention to me and there you go, I took this and a couple more interesting ones.

30908066818_3be5272279_b.jpg

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I normally shoot black and white film rated no faster than ISO 400. Lately, I've been using black and white in quite low light situations. Consequently, I've been experimenting with using faster emulsions rather than pushing development. This is Ilford Delta, which at ISO 3200 is extremely fast. In the past, I would not have used it due to concerns about grain, especially with this kind of subject.

However, I think that this photograph, if one is careful not to push contrast too far, shows that it can be quite flattering. I also think that duplicating what this film does naturally with a digital RAW file would be a fair bit of work.

eli.jpg

Leica M3
Leica Summicron-M 90mm f/2
Ilford Delta 3200, processed normally with Ilfotec DD-X

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
2018 taught me that I've still got a way to go before I'm decent at night photography . Where I live , I'm lucky to see the Moon let alone stars , so my practice is confined to trips out west . Anyway , this year I decided to take some time and try different techniques while visiting Arches , Canyonlands , Dead Horse Point , and Bryce Canyon . Some mixed results , but one or 2 shots I felt were decent . Just gotta get the 9,000,000 people in the NYC area to turn off their lights for a few hours each week so I can get more experience .

niteparia2a1024.jpg

nitesky21024.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
With limited shooting opportunities this year, 2018 probably taught me to make the most of the days out I got. On this particular day I went to 3 locations. Normally if I'm out I'll go to one place and come home again.

Anyway what I learnt was trying to do more in PS and with PP. An area I struggle with.

_DSC8551 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
Started out as this (plus a merge with another shot)
_DSC8550.jpg

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
In 2018 I have learnt that I can do nice shots using only an iPhone 7Plus.
Coming from decades of experience as amateur with reflex and compact cameras, it was quite a discovery.

Looking forward to further improve my ability to capture nice shots with my iPhone.

37072daf4d521648836a2f396c7fc510.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for coming along & playing this week folks & also for sharing a little about what it was in 2018 that stood out for you, in regards to learning something about photography. I'm going to treat this as more of a conversation, as if we were all sitting at a table together, rather than me judging your imagery in a contest type manner. That may work for you, it may not, I'll apologise if it doesn't, but it's where I am at right now.

I personally, am one who follows an interest wherever it leads me, which at this point is a real switch around in what I capture & how as a result of my photographic interests changing over the last 5 months or so. The love & appreciation of decrepitude has risen to the fore for me & I want to investigate that through digital photography, hand-held 4K & aerial 4K video, presenting this online as a series of videos that explore the places I find & crawl over & through. As a result, I am releasing my full-frame kit & will be using a crop sensor with a couple of lenses, as that's all I need now. I may still investigate the odd spot of macro, but my love of long-exposures has waned & dwindled to a point of fizzling out now, so 2018 has taught me to pursue what really interests me photographically as well as what I mentioned initially in the first post in this thread, where I was fixated on technique, rather than looking at a larger vision of what I personally learnt about photography in 2018.

So, in a nutshell for 2018, in regards of technique I learnt to be able to incorporate wildlife with my long-exposures, but in a much larger sense I learnt that photography is a fickle mistress that sometimes changes her mind & that's perfectly okay! Enjoy her company, wherever she takes you. :D

Enough about me, on to the brave souls that ventured into this weeks round.

Last year I had a go with a tilt adapter and a 1970 pre-AI Nikon 50mm lens. It took some time to get the hang of it because at wide apertures it was a nightmare to get focus, but here's what I reckon is one of my best results at achieving a 'toytown' effect...

Four Elms Hill tilt
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Nikkor-H 50mm mounted on a Lensbaby Tilt Transformer, 1/3200 @ f/2, ISO 160

Hugh
Interesting, Hugh, I will fess up that I never have been keen on the tiny town look, but you did well with this one, it does look like we are looking at a model of a motorway from on high!

Catching the tiny little red car precisely when you did has added to this feel very effectively. The trucks rear lights being illuminated adds a nice piece of interest to the frame. Having the frame not being precisely lined up in the symmetrical centre of the motorway has aded some tension or intrigue to the viewing process, well done!

View attachment 814419

Now you might wonder what this picture shows that I have learned. Well actually what I learnt is that I prefer big DSLRs with mirrors and FF sensors which are heavy and clunky and not easy to bring along. About a year ago I made the decision with my head that a mirrorless camera is the way to go because it just makes sense, smaller lighter and the pictures more or less as good as from a big DSLR. After a year I found my pictures lacking and simply not as good as what I had from the years before. Somehow I shoot with this little mirrorless more like with my iPhone than with my big DSLR. It’s more used to document our lives (which is one key reason I am addicted to photography and good of course) and much less as an art form, which is another reason I am into photography. So in December I got myself a FF DSLR again together with 2 fixed focus and large aperture lenses. So far I am quite happy with the results. On purpose I let out which brand I use as to me they are all the same same but different. BTW - I keep the mirrorless as well and I will bring along the tool that I assume best for the job ahead. So that’s what I learned about photography in 2018. Let’s see what 2019 brings.

Interesting that we have headed in opposite journeys, with me going smaller from full-frame to crop sensor! Eventually, I will probably move to an M43 camera, like a Panasonic or Olympus. As I stated above, I am a believer in following wherever photography takes you. It's your journey after all, not mine! Moving to a full-frame sensor isn't that big of a deal, it's not like you're lugging around a behemoth large format camera or the like! :D I have seen stunning images taken on mobile phones & M43's, don't be quick to assume that you couldn't accomplish good imagery with whatever camera you have on hand, you can! A little forethought & planning of your image can make most things possible with most cameras.

View attachment 814463
Gosh, where to begin? I learned that I prefer mirrorless, but that a viewfinder is a must. With new gear, you have to find its limits, too. My Lumix GX85 is pushing it at 3200 ISO, and RAW is definitely the way to go. Speaking of RAW, I was also fairly new to post processing in 2018. Before that, I was shooting JPG and hoping for the best. With RAW and post-processing, I’ve been able to save shots that would have been JPG trash. My picture is just one of my last shots of the year after that journey.

Interesting, I'm going the other way from you too! I'm actually heading back to using jpg's, with the correct exposure for what I want to express captured in camera, rather than relying on post-production or multiple exposures & exposure blending, etc... so as to get big dynamic range images. What interests me now is working as if I am working with film, which forces me to decide is the image about the shadow details or the highlights & which will tell a story about what I saw & felt most effectively. I have several 35mm film cameras & am itching to get back into the use of them, this is my first steps in that direction.

View attachment 814525 I never have been a fan of HDR due to muddiness, unrealistic color shift, and tonality to name a few. In the area that people pay me - architectural and real estate photography - while many use HDR - including myself as a last resort - my primary method is exposing for clear windows, then raising the interior light level with flash and an ambient that I blend in at low opacity to re-introduce shadows taken out by flash. Given that background, now the attached landscape on a local photo club outing. While I have significant dynamic range with a Sony A7RII - some might call enviable - I knew there was not enough to pull those shadows given the extremes of lighting. Took bracketed shots, figuring I would give HDR another try. Still not satisfied with the output from the 4 HDR capable programs I own and hesitant to buy 'latest and greatest'. Began looking at YouTube for ideas and the one that caught my attention was exposure blending - an advanced version of what I was already doing with the flash/ambient. It was essentially manual HDR, but due to the intense workflow dropped the bracketed shots to the 3 I selected from the 5 or 7 shot sequence. Initial adjustments in Lightroom, exporting as layers to Photoshop and applying masks. Standard stuff, but the big eye-opener was the ability to access ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) at the layer level and make adjustments to the source frame at each layer and reflected in the masked area.
View attachment 814524

I am surprised that as a professional architectural interior photographer you weren't already using exposure blending! No HDR program can achieve what you can when you tackle this manually. Last year taught me that it's nowhere near as complicated as I initially thought, it also taught me that I can't be tossed sitting in front of a computer for hours to produce an image that I'm never going to sell, but that's another story, photography taking me where it wants! Your journey is obviously going to be different here, as you choose to do this for a living, so have no choice but to do whatever you can to produce high standard imagery for your clients. Hopefully you are enjoying the luminosity blending techniques.

For me it's "studio" portrait photography using flash. Since most of my photos are landscapes. I took this shot yesterday. View attachment 814643
Good on you for taking on the challenging aspects of lighting for portraiture, it looks like you're doing well with it. A photographic acquaintance accomplishes the most incredible portraits using ages old large format cameras with lenses that are almost as old, huge sheets of film & nothing more than window light! he has been awarded numerous times & even has a collection in the national gallery! :eek:

I didn't learn much about photography along the past year but I learnt that to have a camera with me whenever possible might lead to great memories.

The following pic was shot during a lunch at a seaside restaurant, I was sitting among boat crew members and each of them was telling tales about their life on a boat and this guy, Mauro is his name, was apparently very much into what another guy was telling us and I was lucky to have my little Fuji X-Pro1 and the amazing 35mm f1.4 with me and already on the table since I so much wanted to take a candid of the tale teller but he was aware of it and each time I try to take a shot he used to interrupt his speech and pose which is not what I looked forward to whilst the other listeners were too much into the tale to pay attention to me and there you go, I took this and a couple more interesting ones.

30908066818_3be5272279_b.jpg

I wouldn't care if this was taken with your phone, an image has to be genuinely interesting & what you have here is engrossing! The concentration, the detail, the depth of focus, framing & finishing are all exemplary! True story telling, as photography used to be before the damned selfie & instagram food porn took it to the wrong side of the tracks!

2018 taught me that I don't know anything. :D ... ... :(

The feeling that we are but babes in the woods is a healthy & realistic thing, Adam! I suspect you have a highly self-critical eye for your work, which is understandable, as evidenced by your high standard of portraiture that you accomplish.

I normally shoot black and white film rated no faster than ISO 400. Lately, I've been using black and white in quite low light situations. Consequently, I've been experimenting with using faster emulsions rather than pushing development. This is Ilford Delta, which at ISO 3200 is extremely fast. In the past, I would not have used it due to concerns about grain, especially with this kind of subject.

However, I think that this photograph, if one is careful not to push contrast too far, shows that it can be quite flattering. I also think that duplicating what this film does naturally with a digital RAW file would be a fair bit of work.

View attachment 814938

Leica M3
Leica Summicron-M 90mm f/2
Ilford Delta 3200, processed normally with Ilfotec DD-X

Another piece of storytelling at play here! I love this frame, I can see the setting nicely through your POV with the framed images on the rear wall, the subject is caught in a moment of thought that looks deep, respectful, caring, concerned & intelligent. If I had to sum it up in one word, 'pensive' comes to mind.

The gear is irrelevant to me. The grain is irrelevant to me, in fact, it adds a certain romantic mystique to the image for me. I have reached a point where it is the image I appreciate & am drawn to, not the clarity, colour rendition or bokeh of it! If an image is lacklustre, I won't spend much time looking at it. Now, that's not snobbery, it's an appreciation of the ability to tell a story through a photographic image, something I will doubtlessly spend my entire lifetime pursuing getting better at & is something I encourage the participants of my Mindful Photography groups to dip their toes into at their own rate or level of interest.

Not sure if they are around any more, but VSCO did a huge range of digital profiles for a vast amount of films that could be used in digital editing programs.

2018 taught me that I've still got a way to go before I'm decent at night photography . Where I live , I'm lucky to see the Moon let alone stars , so my practice is confined to trips out west . Anyway , this year I decided to take some time and try different techniques while visiting Arches , Canyonlands , Dead Horse Point , and Bryce Canyon . Some mixed results , but one or 2 shots I felt were decent . Just gotta get the 9,000,000 people in the NYC area to turn off their lights for a few hours each week so I can get more experience .

View attachment 815437

View attachment 815438

Astro-photography is one of those photography techniques that once you get into it, you realise there's a lot of detail to it, but once you get to grips with it, it's actually easy! Given everyone turns their lights off at a decent hour for you! Well, actually, I think that this is a technique that has a huge demand of post-production techniques being understood, so that you accomplish the end result well.

With limited shooting opportunities this year, 2018 probably taught me to make the most of the days out I got. On this particular day I went to 3 locations. Normally if I'm out I'll go to one place and come home again.

Anyway what I learnt was trying to do more in PS and with PP. An area I struggle with.

_DSC8551 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
Started out as this (plus a merge with another shot)
View attachment 815439
I hear you with the lack of ability to get out & about in order to enjoy your photography, for me it's for different reasoning than you, but a commonality, nonetheless. When I do get out, it's always to multiple places.

I was floored when you shard with us that you were broaching Photoshop a while ago! Good on you! It was well worth it here, with the end result you came up with, there's a sense of mystery to the blackness & a great sense of depth. I like that you chose to go quite Gothic with your editing here, rather than going for beautiful & every detail being visible all throughout the frame. The end result is a much more interesting image! Bravo!

In 2018 I have learnt that I can do nice shots using only an iPhone 7Plus.
Coming from decades of experience as amateur with reflex and compact cameras, it was quite a discovery.

Looking forward to further improve my ability to capture nice shots with my iPhone.

37072daf4d521648836a2f396c7fc510.jpg

It's all about the framing here! There's the beautiful layering to this that tells of the long distances experienced between places here. The footsteps leading the eye further through the frame, the strong back-light adding dimension to the sand-dunes, the few trees also taking your eye back into the frame & giving an idea of scale as they recede further back & back. Plus that lovely warm light.

This proves what I have already said a few times already in my responses, that it's all about the image & not the gear! Well done!

That brings me to the hard part, the subjective part, judging the podium placers!

3rd - @Apple fanboy for pushing through the pain & fear barrier to evolve his art.
2nd - @F-Train for stepping into unknown territory with high speed film & discovering that there is a gorgeous rendering with this emulsion as a result.
1st - @Giuanniello for learning to have his camera with him everywhere.

Over to you @Giuanniello for the next round & please share more of your imagery with us here!

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for coming along & playing this week folks & also for sharing a little about what it was in 2018 that stood out for you, in regards to learning something about photography. I'm going to treat this as more of a conversation, as if we were all sitting at a table together, rather than me judging your imagery in a contest type manner. That may work for you, it may not, I'll apologise if it doesn't, but it's where I am at right now.

I personally, am one who follows an interest wherever it leads me, which at this point is a real switch around in what I capture & how as a result of my photographic interests changing over the last 5 months or so. The love & appreciation of decrepitude has risen to the fore for me & I want to investigate that through digital photography, hand-held 4K & aerial 4K video, presenting this online as a series of videos that explore the places I find & crawl over & through. As a result, I am releasing my full-frame kit & will be using a crop sensor with a couple of lenses, as that's all I need now. I may still investigate the odd spot of macro, but my love of long-exposures has waned & dwindled to a point of fizzling out now, so 2018 has taught me to pursue what really interests me photographically as well as what I mentioned initially in the first post in this thread, where I was fixated on technique, rather than looking at a larger vision of what I personally learnt about photography in 2018.

So, in a nutshell for 2018, in regards of technique I learnt to be able to incorporate wildlife with my long-exposures, but in a much larger sense I learnt that photography is a fickle mistress that sometimes changes her mind & that's perfectly okay! Enjoy her company, wherever she takes you. :D

Enough about me, on to the brave souls that ventured into this weeks round.

Interesting, Hugh, I will fess up that I never have been keen on the tiny town look, but you did well with this one, it does look like we are looking at a model of a motorway from on high!

Catching the tiny little red car precisely when you did has added to this feel very effectively. The trucks rear lights being illuminated adds a nice piece of interest to the frame. Having the frame not being precisely lined up in the symmetrical centre of the motorway has aded some tension or intrigue to the viewing process, well done!

Interesting that we have headed in opposite journeys, with me going smaller from full-frame to crop sensor! Eventually, I will probably move to an M43 camera, like a Panasonic or Olympus. As I stated above, I am a believer in following wherever photography takes you. It's your journey after all, not mine! Moving to a full-frame sensor isn't that big of a deal, it's not like you're lugging around a behemoth large format camera or the like! :D I have seen stunning images taken on mobile phones & M43's, don't be quick to assume that you couldn't accomplish good imagery with whatever camera you have on hand, you can! A little forethought & planning of your image can make most things possible with most cameras.

Interesting, I'm going the other way from you too! I'm actually heading back to using jpg's, with the correct exposure for what I want to express captured in camera, rather than relying on post-production or multiple exposures & exposure blending, etc... so as to get big dynamic range images. What interests me now is working as if I am working with film, which forces me to decide is the image about the shadow details or the highlights & which will tell a story about what I saw & felt most effectively. I have several 35mm film cameras & am itching to get back into the use of them, this is my first steps in that direction.

I am surprised that as a professional architectural interior photographer you weren't already using exposure blending! No HDR program can achieve what you can when you tackle this manually. Last year taught me that it's nowhere near as complicated as I initially thought, it also taught me that I can't be tossed sitting in front of a computer for hours to produce an image that I'm never going to sell, but that's another story, photography taking me where it wants! Your journey is obviously going to be different here, as you choose to do this for a living, so have no choice but to do whatever you can to produce high standard imagery for your clients. Hopefully you are enjoying the luminosity blending techniques.

Good on you for taking on the challenging aspects of lighting for portraiture, it looks like you're doing well with it. A photographic acquaintance accomplishes the most incredible portraits using ages old large format cameras with lenses that are almost as old, huge sheets of film & nothing more than window light! he has been awarded numerous times & even has a collection in the national gallery! :eek:

I wouldn't care if this was taken with your phone, an image has to be genuinely interesting & what you have here is engrossing! The concentration, the detail, the depth of focus, framing & finishing are all exemplary! True story telling, as photography used to be before the damned selfie & instagram food porn took it to the wrong side of the tracks!

The feeling that we are but babes in the woods is a healthy & realistic thing, Adam! I suspect you have a highly self-critical eye for your work, which is understandable, as evidenced by your high standard of portraiture that you accomplish.

Another piece of storytelling at play here! I love this frame, I can see the setting nicely through your POV with the framed images on the rear wall, the subject is caught in a moment of thought that looks deep, respectful, caring, concerned & intelligent. If I had to sum it up in one word, 'pensive' comes to mind.

The gear is irrelevant to me. The grain is irrelevant to me, in fact, it adds a certain romantic mystique to the image for me. I have reached a point where it is the image I appreciate & am drawn to, not the clarity, colour rendition or bokeh of it! If an image is lacklustre, I won't spend much time looking at it. Now, that's not snobbery, it's an appreciation of the ability to tell a story through a photographic image, something I will doubtlessly spend my entire lifetime pursuing getting better at & is something I encourage the participants of my Mindful Photography groups to dip their toes into at their own rate or level of interest.

Not sure if they are around any more, but VSCO did a huge range of digital profiles for a vast amount of films that could be used in digital editing programs.

Astro-photography is one of those photography techniques that once you get into it, you realise there's a lot of detail to it, but once you get to grips with it, it's actually easy! Given everyone turns their lights off at a decent hour for you! Well, actually, I think that this is a technique that has a huge demand of post-production techniques being understood, so that you accomplish the end result well.

I hear you with the lack of ability to get out & about in order to enjoy your photography, for me it's for different reasoning than you, but a commonality, nonetheless. When I do get out, it's always to multiple places.

I was floored when you shard with us that you were broaching Photoshop a while ago! Good on you! It was well worth it here, with the end result you came up with, there's a sense of mystery to the blackness & a great sense of depth. I like that you chose to go quite Gothic with your editing here, rather than going for beautiful & every detail being visible all throughout the frame. The end result is a much more interesting image! Bravo!

It's all about the framing here! There's the beautiful layering to this that tells of the long distances experienced between places here. The footsteps leading the eye further through the frame, the strong back-light adding dimension to the sand-dunes, the few trees also taking your eye back into the frame & giving an idea of scale as they recede further back & back. Plus that lovely warm light.

This proves what I have already said a few times already in my responses, that it's all about the image & not the gear! Well done!

That brings me to the hard part, the subjective part, judging the podium placers!

3rd - @Apple fanboy for pushing through the pain & fear barrier to evolve his art.
2nd - @F-Train for stepping into unknown territory with high speed film & discovering that there is a gorgeous rendering with this emulsion as a result.
1st - @Giuanniello for learning to have his camera with him everywhere.

Over to you @Giuanniello for the next round & please share more of your imagery with us here!
Thanks for the (probably undeserved) podium Alex.
That and probably the most thorough feedback for everyone I’ve seen. Very generous.

Well done to everyone for learning and striving to improve their photography in 2018. We are all on a journey. Enjoy getting to the destination.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks very much for such a comprehensive and stimulating chat about where our photography is taking us.
It should warrant a discussion thread of it's own for 2019 ;)

Congrats to the winners :)

Hugh

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
No way, you gotta be kidding me!!!

That's fun, I know that's a nice capture, the guy looks really awesome and he actually is but not to that degree, he's a "normal" good looking guy in his twenties (nice ol' times...) but I caught him whilst listening to another guy who, in first intention, was my potential target because of a very expressive face and fun gestures but being sitting him straight across me he was aware of each and every attempt at taking a pic of him and he ended up posing which was not my intent; on the other side of the table both Mauro, the one in the pic you so nicely chose as deserving #1, and Alfonso whom I will maybe publish in another round (but he's on my Flickr gallery already and going being printed next week), they were both caught from the funny tales and their own thoughts at different times and distance was perfect with the focal length I had mounted on the camera (an equivalent 50mm) even tho I had to crop a bit but sharpness, framing etc almost perfect which teaches me that it's not about the gear, it's not about how much preparation into the shot, (too) many a times it's just having a tool and being at the right place by the right time, a quite usual tale in life uh?!

Thank you again so much for your appreciation and if you like the genre please visit my Flickr to see something more and something different

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I certainly get “taking it right the first time,” but I’m not there yet. ;) Also, my subject matter is often my children, where “in-focus” is a noble goal in itself! When I had a Sony mirrorless (a5000), I shot in jpg-only (from lack of knowing any different) and got really good results. I think Sony is a little less aggressive with PP, unlike my GX85. Good luck on your search for your next camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.