Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
We just had nature, so let's go with something manmade: Arts. Visual arts, music, dance, architecture, literature, theatre – the whole spectrum.

As always, standard rules apply:

* The photographs must be your own work
* You may only submit one photo per contest.
* No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
* This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
* At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
* The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
* Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
* Contest ends on midnight CEST on July 1, 2023.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Burningman 2005, a week long desert art festival filed with many different art sreems. That year was my second time going and my wife's 5th.

img_8236.jpg

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Just a few hours to go. Last chance to squeeze in an entry or two… ;)

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
The contest is closed. I'll try and post the results in the course of the day.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
@ovbacon Off to a good start. Good composition and a pleasing colour contrast between the umbrellas and that yellow pagoda(?) on the right.

@mollyc Beautiful streetart, contrasting the rusted container it's painted on. I also like how the perspective leads the eye to the window on the right side.

@Hughmac Ooh, so you're not just a talented photographer. I like that the surrounding is just visible through the distorted reflection. Do you have a photo showing the whole fountain?

@AppleKarma Music and paintings – a pleasing combination. I would have liked it a bit better if the piano hadn't been cut off on the bottom.

@oblomow Two in one: Frank Gehry'y Guggenheim in Bilbao and Louise Bourgeois' Maman sculpture. The somewhat muted colours due to the drab weather work very well. I would have preferred a position somewhat to the left, though, so that the sculpture doesn't blend in with the museum quite as much.

@Fravin That throne looks as if it's straight out of a fantasy movie. The light nicely accentuates the gold. The picture is a bit tilted to the left, though.

@Strider64 That looks almost too distiguished for the street corner (though I don't know how it looks like in the other directions), generating an interesting visual tension between the clock and its surrounding in my opinion.

@tizeye That's an interesting idea. The composition works well and the statue stands out nicely against the background. I believe we had this statue before some time, didn't we? I remember we discussed that the guy was chiseling himself out of the rock.

@CooperBox I always amazed what wonderful art can be made out of driftwood. I think the picture might have profited a from a lower viewing angle.

@_timo_redux_ I love the dynamic pose and the composition. The darker background contrasts nicely with the dancer's bright colours.

@JAWJr The black and white, and the quite small violinist against the dominating concrete wall lends that picture a somewhat melancholic note.

@OldMacs4Me The whole concept of Carhenge always amused me. The backlighting nicely accentuates the outline of the buried car.

That was a really tough one, since there were many really good photos.

3rd: @ovbacon

2nd: @oblomow

1st: @_timo_redux_

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
@tizeye That's an interesting idea. The composition works well and the statue stands out nicely against the background. I believe we had this statue before some time, didn't we? I remember we discussed that the guy was chiseling himself out of the rock.
Yes, I did post this one before when initially published a book.

The initial idea was spurred by the policies of the museum. Personal photos are allowed where commercial require a permit. And in the same policy, no restrictions on art/paintings. While this was in a book, commercial would apply but it is really oriented to weddings (popular venue) and have a set charge plus additional income fron relatives requesting prints, not speculative in a book. Altering to a painting made sense and kept within their rules.

I am experimenting with Corel Painter as an alternative to straight photography. Excellent for the nicely composed but photographically challenged print. Paiting is not intended to be precise and there is no pixel peeking or EFIX data for the critics.

Reactions: Janichsan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.