Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
The subject of this week's contest is RADIAL

"Items arranged or having parts arranged like rays around a common center"
As always, standard rules apply:
The photographs must be your own work.

• You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends March 13th, around noon NYC time
  • I'm going to be 'in transit' on the 12th so I've added an extra day .

Reactions: Hughmac

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
IMG_6765.jpeg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Just a quick reminder that I'll be closing this thing on WEDNESDAY , the 13th at around noon NYC time . Surprise me with some more entries!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Well , that's it , Contest closed...
When I get home later , I'll take a final look on something with a bigger screen than a MacBook Pro and come back with some commentary .

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
usa
So … here we go . Just remember that I have no qualifications implied or imagined that make me an expert at judging photos . I’m just an old fart with cataracts and bifocals .

@Chuckeee – Nicely composed , certainly radial . Any idea as to what kind of flower? I remember reading somewhere thar the ‘daisy like’ arrangement of the petals is to lure bugs into the center so they pick up pollen . Be interesting to see this under UV .

@_timo_redux_ - Coney Island-Luna Park! Haven’t been there since before COVID . Guy on TV said its opening up this month . Nice take on the not quite perfect lights and the unlit Cyclone in the background

@oblomow – This is real interesting ; I’m assuming I’m looking up into some sort of dome as opposed to looking down into a bowl like structure . Nice job trying to get the central part centered , I’ve tried this a number of times and found it to be almost impossible to do unless you’re laying on your back .

@C0ncreteBl0nde – Good close-up of someone’s gift wrapping . Was this handheld or on a tripod with a macro lens? Whatever you used it worked pretty well . (but you have some shmutz on your sensor :))

@Strider64 – I’m assuming this is from a kit . Is it motorized? Nicely taken though I might have done a bit looser crop on the top edge . Now we know where Santa goes on the off season .

@thirsty_monk – Sunflower ? Interesting take with the b&w conversion . Spent a bit of time looking for a bug that I was sure was hiding somewhere in the center .

I’ve found it much easier to judge when there’s a dozen or more entries . There’s always some you don’t like . But that’s not the case here . I like them all . But I’ve gotta choose so here goes :

1st - @oblomow

2nd- @Chuckeee

3rd - @thirsty_monk

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
Thanks for the 3rd place and for judging 👍

The flower is similar to the one on Chuckeee's photo, some sort of daisy or gerbera. I've deleted the original image so can't confirm.

Reactions: someoldguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.