Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I have recently been sharing images in the POTD taken from my Yashica Mat 124, which is a medium format film camera with a native square crop ratio. Composing in a square is a lot different than composing in a rectangle. It helps of course that the viewfinder is a square, but obviously with digital cameras we can crop in post for some variations. But it's a different kind of challenge composing in a square.

So please post an image composed and/or cropped as a square!

Web_May_23_2023_001.jpg

As always, standard rules apply:
  • The photographs must be your own work
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • This contest runs for about a week, starting now.
  • At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
  • Contest ends 11:59pm EDT June 5, 2023.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Contest closes in six hours, with judging tomorrow. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks everyone for participating this week! Here is a collection of random thoughts from me:

@ovbacon I love the composition of this and really appreciate that it is not a center composition; I think many people (myself included) gravitate to a center comp with square crops to make things neat and tidy. I like the asymmetrical feel here with the diagonal lines of the tree and the rotunda in the background. I am personally less enamored by the selective coloring and think it detracts from the overall scene, particularly the crown.

@akash.nu Here we see a typical center crop within the square frame, but you have used it well with a subject that is already symmetrical. It’s a neat fact that this castle inspired the Disney castle! The saturation is a bit high for my tastes but I still love the images you produce from your phone.

@OldMacs4Me Yay for film! You know I love seeing your scans. I love the colors and the movement in the water; I’m a bit distracted by the bit at the top right of the frame; not sure if that is some backing paper that got stuck (I had that once in my TLR and had to clone it out of every frame from a particular role) or a bit of a tree? But the colors win me over here.

@walkbutneverun Another well composed center composition. This looks like a beautiful location and I really love that you composed it so low to the ground to make the trees seem even larger.

@JAWJr An interesting composition with the red car so prominently in the frame. It serves as a great leading line to the view. You’ve done a good job putting the horizon at the top third and the car at the bottom third to give a sense of balance. I like the foggy atmosphere.

@Strider64 What a fun little frame with a spunky pupper! You’ve caught a good moment here where we can all tell just what the dog is up to, and also leave us wondering if he will topple the pile when he starts tugging. I do wish you’d gotten all the back foot into the frame, however.

@Janichsan A beautiful blossom; do you know what it is? I love the delicate petals and the shallow depth of field that put the focus right on the flowers. You’ve got a lot of great leading lines in such a simple frame and I like the off center composition.

@AppleKarma You have managed to fit a round peg in a square hole! Just joking, of course. You’ve done a great job maintaining the symmetry of the flower within the frame and I love the colors in the background. I do wish there was just a tiny bit more breathing room so that the tips of each petal were all the way in the frame.

@_timo_redux_ I am continually impressed the more images I see from you. This has such a great energy and I really like that you kept the subject in shadow; my inclination would have been to target an exposure increase there but the silhouette is a much better call in this instance. Strong framing and lines in this image really solidify the composition.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up this week!

3rd: @OldMacs4Me

2nd: @Janichsan

1st: @_timo_redux_

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Congrats to all the entries, great quality this week.

@OldMacs4Me Yay for film! You know I love seeing your scans. I love the colors and the movement in the water; I’m a bit distracted by the bit at the top right of the frame; not sure if that is some backing paper that got stuck (I had that once in my TLR and had to clone it out of every frame from a particular role) or a bit of a tree? But the colors win me over here.
Thanks for the super safe podium position and the kind words. I love your work as well. It's been about 40 years since I took that shot, but I suspect the upper right shadow is a result of my being a bit careless when shading the lens. A right side shade with that camera is a bit awkward as the camera hold-shutter release seems to demand the right hand, which leaves you reaching across with the left. I toyed with different croppings but decided to leave things full frame.

Reactions: mollyc

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Thanks for the theme, which brought out some fine work.

I love cropping square. I just like it. When I made the above photo back in the day, I was on a photography tour/workshop, where the instructor forbade (!!) us from cropping. Anyway, it's a favorite picture that I like better cropped square.

Congratulations to the other podium entries, thanks to @mollyc for her feedback on all the photos, and I'm happy to be in a thread with other great photos.

New contest: [var1] PARK-[var2]

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
@Janichsan A beautiful blossom; do you know what it is? I love the delicate petals and the shallow depth of field that put the focus right on the flowers. You’ve got a lot of great leading lines in such a simple frame and I like the off center composition.
Thanks for the podium placement! This tree is apparently a yellowhorn or xanthoceras.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thanks for the kind words [mention]mollyc [/mention] , I agree, that picture is way too oversaturated but I actually couldn’t find the original shot from back when I had the iPhone 6. This is a chance find for me and I just posted it as is with all that hyper processing.

Looking forward to the next one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.